Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Mar 5, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #2,012 of 6,212
Do you think this battery a good option? Until Orbtronic get more stocks in...
Yes it is from Panasonic. Sound is more punchy with better dynamics compared to the stock one in my experience.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #2,013 of 6,212
Hi, sorry if it has been mentioned, can anyone peg the C9 to a comparative desktop amp / tube amp SQ wise? For me to better understand how much of an amp or tube amp one can get out of the C9.

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #2,014 of 6,212
Hi, sorry if it has been mentioned, can anyone peg the C9 to a comparative desktop amp / tube amp SQ wise? For me to better understand how much of an amp or tube amp one can get out of the C9.
Just go listen to it yourself.. Your local store has a HA300 demo (I've checked)...

Mar 6, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #2,015 of 6,212
Just go listen to it yourself.. Your local store has a HA300 demo (I've checked)...
Haha long queue............ maybe next year when covid over and I'm more free...

Mar 6, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #2,016 of 6,212

May I suggest you name a few desktop amplifiers as examples so that we know what you have in mind? For example, the Schiit Ragnarok II is similarly priced (slightly cheaper) then C9, will you consider that as comparative desktop amp?

And maybe you should also provide examples of headphones or earphones that you are going to use. If over 50% of your listening time are IEM based, the comparison might swing to a very different direction when you only use power hungry full size headphones.

IMHO, selecting an amplifier that meet your need and preference is far more important than comparing which are a better amplifier.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 6, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #2,017 of 6,212
Well... I've got my C9 pre-order in for end of March delivery ... got my heatsinks at the ready.... waiting for the battery case release.... but can't find any batteries!
I am waiting for battery tray as well :/

Given the current schedule, battery module will roll out immediately after we fulfilled the outstanding C9 orders, not before.

Mar 6, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #2,018 of 6,212
May I suggest you name a few desktop amplifiers as examples so that we know what you have in mind? For example, the Schiit Ragnarok II is similarly priced (slightly cheaper) then C9, will you consider that as comparative desktop amp?

And maybe you should also provide examples of headphones or earphones that you are going to use. If over 50% of your listening time are IEM based, the comparison might swing to a very different direction when you only use power hungry full size headphones.

IMHO, selecting an amplifier that meet your need and preference is far more important than comparing which are a better amplifier.
I agreed, most of the time and more than often, people overlook and underestimated how important an amplifier is . The amplifier is so important that it is the essential piece in the chains, given that the source such as transport and DAC are at minimal implementations. The better the amp, the better the performances. If I had to rate the 2 primary pieces of a system, then it would be Amplifier and the headphones, then DAC, then digital source, and finally interconnect and AC cords

Now, you know why I jumped in head first with C9 ? And seriously, I jaw drop everytime admiring the little guy sitting on my palm. Once again, if Cayin did in fact tossed in a DAC, I wouldn’t budge.....because as you mentioned earlier, the different architects to satisfy the different voltages to feed DAC and amp....it is no longer a dedicated amp, which I don’t care for

Mar 6, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #2,019 of 6,212
I see that the supplied batteries for the C9 are Sony 3000mAh 3.7v 15A High Discharge versions.
What would happen if I placed batteries in with a 35A discharge?
I can confirm the C9 won't explode with battery at 35A discharge. :wink:

I have tried Sony VTC5A 18650 2600mah 35A, the different is minimum when compare to the C9 stock battery.

Mar 6, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #2,022 of 6,212
When using this amp in a desktop setting, can I take a balanced output from an amplifier (such as a violectric v281) and feed into the c9?
Wouldn't you put it in pre amp mode and control the volume from the desktop amp? Doing it that means I havent got to unplug sources already connected.

It works but not desirable. I have explained the different between Pre-amp out and headphone output, and also compared between Pre-amp input and using phone out as substitute as pre-amp in HERE. The keyword in your case is "level of current gain". In my explanation, I have said:
  • Phone output if your DAP don't have line out option: use PRE-amp input mode of C9. It might or might not work, depends on the level of current gain, but worth trying because you don't have other options;
  • since pre-amp output is by definition voltage gain without current gain from line out, so phone output with smaller current gain will likely perform better than phone output with higher current gain;
If some of the DAP headphone output offers current gain that is too high for Pre-amp input mode of C9, then your V281 is definitely not within acceptable range IMO.

Mar 6, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #2,023 of 6,212
That's part of the reason when I get my C9 the interconnects will be .5 meter. Then they can sit side by side instead of stacked.

Thanks to HiByLink, I can put my DAP side by side with C9 via a 15cm short interconnect and maintain full control to my music library. :wink:

Mar 6, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #2,024 of 6,212
Same here, I inquired about the added ground option but decided to go with the traditional setup (L+/L-/R+/R-) since only my WM1Z is able to utilize it.

@Andykong - Does the C9 utilize the 5th pole?

Both 4.4mm sockets, input and output, have the 5th GND pole connected.

Mar 6, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #2,025 of 6,212
Also, it doesn't look to have access to change the battery tray without removing from case.

Maybe it works better for some. If you developed a good habit with your C9 case, maybe (and I am not taking any responsibilities, so don't quote me on this) you can install the battery tray in the case without the two mounting screws on each side. Taking C9 out from the protective case and swap your batteries probably is faster then unscrewed the two mounting screws > change the batteries > put back the mounting screws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back