Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Mar 6, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #2,041 of 6,233
I can confirm the C9 won't explode with battery at 35A discharge. :wink:

I have tried Sony VTC5A 18650 2600mah 35A, the different is minimum when compare to the C9 stock battery.
Hi Andy,
would you mind expanding on how the Battery operation regarding Ampage discharge and any internal C9 protections and limiters that are in place work please?

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #2,042 of 6,233
Hi Andy,
would you mind expanding on how the Battery operation regarding Ampage discharge and any internal C9 protections and limiters that are in place work please?

Dead honest, with the operating voltages at play here, I suspect it was pretty easy for them to just size traces and components enough it is a non-issue. 35A discharge is already massive for the 18650 formfactor (given most 18650 cells are ~3.7V nominal and 4.3V max to keep interchangeability a bit higher). If it handes those dont realy worry about it. Its just nice to have explicet confirmation when possible. By the timer higher discharge sources with adequate lifecycles are avaible we will probably be wanting a different amp anyways

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #2,043 of 6,233
Dude, I am confused by you question...wait... what ? Traces being damaged by current overdrawn and so on ?

Common man...Current is DRAWN, NOT PUSHED

Yes, but circuitry can absalutely be overdrawn. Thats why I was asking about an amperage limit. Its common place as a safety measure in inverters so I wasnt sure if amps generaly had a similar system

Only defective devices do overdrawn and damaged itself. Yes, burned traces could happen but that only happened when the circuit is defective and failed engineering circuits

We are not designing a circuit here

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #2,044 of 6,233
Dead honest, with the operating voltages at play here, I suspect it was pretty easy for them to just size traces and components enough it is a non-issue. 35A discharge is already massive for the 18650 formfactor (given most 18650 cells are ~3.7V nominal and 4.3V max to keep interchangeability a bit higher). If it handes those dont realy worry about it. By the timer higher discharge sources with adequate lifecycles are avaible you will probably be wanting a different amp anyways
Good point on which I agree with declared handling by Andy. It's already been confirmed by Andy that 35A is not an issue.
My way of thinking is 3.6V/3.7V is the standard battery power output to the C9. Straightforward. Whatever the Ampage output declared by the Battery manufacturer, be it 10A, 15A, 20A or 35A, is what the battery will work up to, not at the fixed declared Ampage? Have I understood that correctly? Or is it the other way 'round? The Battery is fixed at those Ampages and the unit will only 'take/claim' what it needs? Either way works... so long as it's reliable 😆

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #2,045 of 6,233
Traveling on a flight right now with my C9 stack. First time in a year.

Attachments

• A4870882-3A68-4706-8874-7556DE17527B.jpeg
    A4870882-3A68-4706-8874-7556DE17527B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 6, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #2,046 of 6,233
Both 4.4mm sockets, input and output, have the 5th GND pole connected.

Hi @Andykong ,
It says "Balanced Portable Interconnect CS-44C44 (4.4 to 4.4 with GND)" on the C9 product page below. (in "What's in the BOX?" section at the bottom)
https://en.cayin.cn/products_info?itemid=135

I believe this means the CS-44C44 is all 5 poles connected including GND. Is it correct?
I'm asking because mine is NOT GND connected. (I have checked the continuity with an electric tester.)

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #2,047 of 6,233
Dude, I am confused by you question...wait... what ? Traces being damaged by current overdrawn and so on ?

Only defective devices do overdrawn and damaged itself. Yes, burned traces could happen but that only happened when the circuit is defective and failed engineering circuits

When there is a phase imbalance or a large voltage spike on the input side at least for inverters holes can get blown right through a pc board. Anyway this is battery power. Are the cells in series or parallel in the C9?

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #2,048 of 6,233
Good point on which I agree. It's already been confirmed by Andy that 35A is not an issue.
My way of thinking is 3.6V/3.7V is the standard power output to the C9. Straightforward. Whatever the Ampage output declared by the Battery manufacturer, be it 10A, 15A, 20A or 35A, is what the battery will work up to, not at the fixed declared Ampage? Have I understood that correctly? Or is it the other way 'round? The Battery is fixed at those Ampages and the unit will only 'take/claim' what it needs? Either way works... so long as it's reliable 😆
LOL, you are being confused! So am I. The current is Drawn, not pushed. So unless your amplifier or C9 in this case is shorted out by something inside, the current can’t be overdrawn

In order for any working circuit to work, they have to abide the Ohm Law and engineered accordingly. So, any unintentional load that can overdrawn current is a defective instances, and under these instances, you either failed at engineering or you have already accounted them in, for example tubes amp with surge current designed in mind, using a wrong rated fuse will blow the fuse and the amp stopped working

In any working devices, current is drawn and not pushed....unless you are talking about designing a circuit by yourself...that is a different story

The higher CDR is the better theoretically

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #2,049 of 6,233
When there is a phase imbalance or a large voltage spike on the input side at least for inverters holes can get blown right through a pc board. Anyway this is battery power. Are the cells in series or parallel in the C9?
Both, pairs in parallel and 2 in series. That brings it to 3.7-4.2 x 2 per rail.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #2,050 of 6,233
Both, 2 in parallel and 2 in series. That brings it to 3.7-4.2 x 2 per rail.
Roughly 8V rails one for left and one for right channels. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #2,051 of 6,233
Roughly 8V rails on for left and one for right channels. Is that right?
That is correct. I also think that they are regulated to 8.4V rails by the battery tray before feeding into the amp....

So theoretically speaking, if the battery tray is what it is. Then Cayin can make an AC battery tray which consists of bare minimum circuitry for external regulated DC intake.

Then Cayin can also start selling L-PSU as well :)

That way, you have option of battery module or AC main module ? Who knows...Andy may try to deny it as long as he can.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #2,052 of 6,233
Good point on which I agree with declared handling by Andy. It's already been confirmed by Andy that 35A is not an issue.
My way of thinking is 3.6V/3.7V is the standard battery power output to the C9. Straightforward. Whatever the Ampage output declared by the Battery manufacturer, be it 10A, 15A, 20A or 35A, is what the battery will work up to, not at the fixed declared Ampage? Have I understood that correctly? Or is it the other way 'round? The Battery is fixed at those Ampages and the unit will only 'take/claim' what it needs? Either way works... so long as it's reliable 😆

Correct. The only worry of damage would be if the battery its self was used as a limiter (which would be a piss poor design). My question was if we would even see any benefit.

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #2,053 of 6,233

We are clearly talking past eachother. This is all else i will respond with for this topic. It is standard design practice to include current limiters when working with batteries to prevent overdrawing them. On top of this, tracing will be designed with certain voltage and current limits in mind. My question was simply if the c9 has limiters designed for the production cells that would get in the way of a higher discharge cell.

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #2,054 of 6,233
Hello, I’m getting read to pull the trigger on the C9, but have some questions about how I intend to use it and what’s the best setting, etc.

Desktop: I have a Topping D90/A90 stack connected via XLR. I believe I could have two options: 1) D90 RCA output to C9 3.5mm input and use C9 in line mode, then volume controlled on C9. 2) A90 XLR preamp output to C9 4.4mm input in Pre mode, then volume is controlled on A90. Are both of those correct? Would one be better than the other in terms of sound quality?

Transportable 1: iFi Micro iDSD Signature RCA output to C9 3.5mm input. I believe the Signature can only be used as fixed output on the RCA out, so Direct would be the only option. That one seems straight forward.

Transportable 2: I’m in between DAPs and currently leaning towards Shanling M8. Does anyone know if the M8 has a true line out? Would I use Direct or Pre with M8 for the best pairing?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #2,055 of 6,233
oooo.... that would be nice.... L-PSU linked to a purpose made battery insert to the C9.... Yes please.... Andy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back