Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Mar 6, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #2,056 of 6,233
Hello, I’m getting read to pull the trigger on the C9, but have some questions about how I intend to use it and what’s the best setting, etc.

Desktop: I have a Topping D90/A90 stack connected via XLR. I believe I could have two options: 1) D90 RCA output to C9 3.5mm input and use C9 in line mode, then volume controlled on C9. 2) A90 XLR preamp output to C9 4.4mm input in Pre mode, then volume is controlled on A90. Are both of those correct? Would one be better than the other in terms of sound quality?

Transportable 1: iFi Micro iDSD Signature RCA output to C9 3.5mm input. I believe the Signature can only be used as fixed output on the RCA out, so Direct would be the only option. That one seems straight forward.

Transportable 2: I’m in between DAPs and currently leaning towards Shanling M8. Does anyone know if the M8 has a true line out? Would I use Direct or Pre with M8 for the best pairing?

Thanks in advance!
As for your desktop setup, I think you are correct on both. Regarding the sound, you will get different signatures. With line-in you get the tube/SS Cayin sound. With the pre-in you get the topping clean sound. I would personally recommend the line-in setup as you should be quite familiar with the topping sound, and could benefit from having the new C9 sound.

I think your transportable setup is also good, and now it is just a matter of which DAP would work best for you. Besides N6ii, I have seen people using Hiby R8 as well and it pairs very well with C9.

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #2,057 of 6,233
Hi @Andykong ,
It says "Balanced Portable Interconnect CS-44C44 (4.4 to 4.4 with GND)" on the C9 product page below. (in "What's in the BOX?" section at the bottom)
https://en.cayin.cn/products_info?itemid=135

I believe this means the CS-44C44 is all 5 poles connected including GND. Is it correct?
I'm asking because mine is NOT GND connected. (I have checked the continuity with an electric tester.)

GND of TRRRS connectors in CS-44C44 is not connected. You can use multimeter and check IC, the ground ring between IC ends is not connected. But, the ground of C9 jacks inside the amp is connected.

1615046627399.png

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #2,059 of 6,233
We are clearly talking past eachother. This is all else i will respond with for this topic. It is standard design practice to include current limiters when working with batteries to prevent overdrawing them. On top of this, tracing will be designed with certain voltage and current limits in mind. My question was simply if the c9 has limiters designed for the production cells that would get in the way of a higher discharge cell.
Oh, I see what you meant now LOL! Ok, that makes senses. It is the current limits of the battery tray and if it has 30A limit, then using 35A limits battery would not bring benefits. Agreed, definitely a good question for @Andykong . I am still waiting for the answer on the 4.4mm socket line in. Will it go into differential stages if single ended was to connected into it, or is Differential stage applicable only toward the 3.5mm

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #2,061 of 6,233
Correct, and that was why I said previously that even stock IC has no ground connected. It is a matter of preferences really. If we are talking about the properly shielding and the right shielding then It won’t be necessary until the cables is about 50ft in length. If you are over worrying then 25ft in length minimum LOL....and as I mentioned, the balanced design itself was engineered for this purposes, and it is to resist interferences, it also pushing 2X as much the power as well.

Sound preferences aside, To use shielding or not shielding for short IC will also be another point of preferences (some people like to see the fancy wires for example)

However, the C9 input 4.4/3.5mm are grounded. The 4.4 output is not grounded. The A02 4.4mm is grounded.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #2,062 of 6,233
Correct, and that was why I said previously that even stock IC has no ground connected. It is a matter of preferences really. If we are talking about the properly shielding and the right shielding then It won’t be necessary until the cables is about 50ft in length. If you are over worrying then 25ft in length minimum LOL....and as I mentioned, the balanced design itself was engineered for this purposes, and it is to resist interferences, it also pushing 2X as much the power as well.

Sound preferences aside, To use shielding or not shielding for short IC will also be another point of preferences (some people like to see the fancy wires for example)

However, the C9 input 4.4/3.5mm are grounded. The 4.4 output is not grounded. The A02 4.4mm is grounded.

Did you confirm it not being grounded or was it posted somewhere? I was planning to sacrifice an old cable with 4.4mm termination, to have wires stripped so I can measure what is going on inside the jack lol!!!

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #2,063 of 6,233
Did you confirm it not being grounded or was it posted somewhere? I was planning to sacrifice an old cable with 4.4mm termination, to have wires stripped so I can measure what is going on inside the jack lol!!!
I confirmed that the IC cables that comes with C9 is not shielded and not grounded. You have a lot of works to upkeep :wink:, I don’t mind you have missed my previous posts

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #2,065 of 6,233
Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #2,068 of 6,233
Hello, I’m getting read to pull the trigger on the C9, but have some questions about how I intend to use it and what’s the best setting, etc.

Desktop: I have a Topping D90/A90 stack connected via XLR. I believe I could have two options: 1) D90 RCA output to C9 3.5mm input and use C9 in line mode, then volume controlled on C9. 2) A90 XLR preamp output to C9 4.4mm input in Pre mode, then volume is controlled on A90. Are both of those correct? Would one be better than the other in terms of sound quality?

Transportable 1: iFi Micro iDSD Signature RCA output to C9 3.5mm input. I believe the Signature can only be used as fixed output on the RCA out, so Direct would be the only option. That one seems straight forward.

Transportable 2: I’m in between DAPs and currently leaning towards Shanling M8. Does anyone know if the M8 has a true line out? Would I use Direct or Pre with M8 for the best pairing?

Thanks in advance!
I also have a desktop DAC and Amp connected via XLR cables...so if I want to use the C9 as my amp in this set-up, I connect the DAC's RCA output to the C9's 3.5mm input, and set the C9 to 'Line In' (and just use the volume control on the C9). That way I don't need to disconnect the XLRs from the DAC (and change cables). I also use the C9 with 2 DAPs, and so far I like the 'Line In' better because the volume control on the C9 is very precise. I'll attempt to post some pictures of my set-ups...photography is not my strength, so the pictures are not that great!DSCN1096.JPGDSCN1106.JPGDSCN1119.JPG

Mar 7, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #2,069 of 6,233
Interesting - I found today that the level of improvement provided by the c9 can be significantly affected by the headphone cable.

Out of a DX300 a EE Zeus XR was very significantly improved when listening through a PWAudio copper cable - using a DHC silver cable there was still improvement, but noticeably less.

Out of a DX300 the DHC was a significant improvement compared to the PWAudio.

Out of the C9, I wouldn't say the DHC cable is a significant improvement over the PWAudio - just a different signature.

Quite hilarious. Of course this could all be placebo, I didn't bother trying to A/B double blind (as I don't own the DHC and based on the above I don't plan on getting it).

----

In separate news, I do think C9 buyers might want to acquire a better interconnect than what's packaged with the C9.

B24BAF99-1549-49F3-B01A-1DAE8FC80508.jpeg

I like my new 60cm Ares Audio Twilight - it's not on their site, was a custom order, but you can probably contact them (or Zepplin - who I ordered through and am happy with).

(To be clear to those who don't have a C9 - it's the grey cable, the black cable is the Twilight headphone cable - there could be some choice of colors).

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #2,070 of 6,233
Well, I received a replacement amp for my DX300 last week and all was back to normal using my C9 with 4.4mm balanced output. Until today :frowning2: The same issue occurred where the amp is blown again. @Andykong Any thoughts on what keeps blowing the DX300 amp? I am using the DX300 in High Gain using Line Out to a Cayin C9 in High Gain on 4.4mm balanced output and after 1 week the DX300 amp sounds blown and unusable. I may be forced to sell my C9 unfortunately since the DX300 is my daily driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back