Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Mar 7, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #2,086 of 6,237
The C9 is not only with the ability to scale tremendously with headphones cables, but it also scale very well with upgraded InterConnect.

The stock IC isn’t bad, but it could be better as there are better quality out there. It could be a little expensive though, but will be worth it
What would happen to the 300 if the line out was shorted? Is there built in protection for that within the 300 output circuit?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #2,087 of 6,237
What would happen to the 300 if the line out was shorted? Is there built in protection for that within the 300 output circuit?
Now that is something to think about. The Dx300 uses one buffer for amplifier and also act as a differential when needed for Single ended and Line out with the firmware controls. Essentially speaking, I don’t think you can short the Output of the Dx300. However, the Power supply is on the amp module itself and what would happened if the power sources has some bad management ? Idk, I don’t have the schematic of Dx300 and haven’t looked into it too much.

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #2,088 of 6,237
Now that is something to think about. The Dx300 uses one buffer for amplifier and also act as a differential when needed for Single ended and Line out with the firmware controls. Essentially speaking, I don’t think you can short the Output of the Dx300. However, the Power supply is on the amp module itself and what would happened if the power sources has some bad management ? Idk, I don’t have the schematic of Dx300 and haven’t looked into it too much.
Not sure I understand the answer, just thinking if the pre-out was shorted that it would pull the max current through the circuit until something breaks. That is if there was no protection built in, which I would think there would be, as that would be easy to do with a bad cable for example, one the cat got a hold of.

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #2,089 of 6,237
Not sure I understand the answer, just thinking if the pre-out was shorted that it would pull the max current through the circuit until something breaks. That is if there was no protection built in, which I would think there would be, as that would be easy to do with a bad cable for example, one the cat got a hold of.
But would the c9 work if there was such a short? Presumably not?

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #2,090 of 6,237
A bad cables with L+ and R+ shorted would possibly be damaging the Dx300 amp....but that it would also damage the C9....and you wouldn’t be hearing music lol
Common mistakes happened when L- and R- are shorted to ground because the user mistakenly plugged Balanced out into a cables that has single ended end. But this can not happen on Dx300 stock amp as the Dx300 can differentiate and enable SE line out

**I never seen L+ and R+ to be shorted, unless possibly some mistake in DIY cables that wired 2.5mm into 3.5 mm under a wrong polarities** ? That would be some thing very special and unique instances though

I do not think there is any amplifier that has built in protections for shorting out the signals

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #2,091 of 6,237
But would the c9 work if there was such a short? Presumably not?
Not during the short but I think it would work after with a different working source, and if it was the same cable you either got lucky with how it was bent and did not produce the short, would definitely recommend a continuity check of the unconnected cable, if no meter available any low voltage device could be used like a battery and a flashlight bulb to check the interconnect cable for shorts. If this shorted line out is what happened than it could have happened inside the DX300. Whitgr does not think it is even possible to short the pre-out, and I do not doubt his experience.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #2,092 of 6,237
A bad cables with L+ and R+ shorted would possibly be damaging the Dx300 amp....but that it would also damage the C9....and you wouldn’t be hearing music lol
Common mistakes happened when L- and R- are shorted to ground because the user mistakenly plugged Balanced out into a cables that has single ended end. But this can not happen on Dx300 stock amp as the Dx300 can differentiate and enable SE line out

**I never seen L+ and R+ to be shorted, unless possibly some mistake in DIY cables that wired 2.5mm into 3.5 mm under a wrong polarities** ? That would be some thing very special and unique instances though

I do not think there is any amplifier that has built in protections for shorting out the signals
I guess both channels would have to be shorted to ground to blow both channels in the line out circuit. No getting around, the 300 should be sent back for evaluation and repair.

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #2,093 of 6,237

Mar 7, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #2,095 of 6,237
Mar 7, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #2,098 of 6,237
The DX300 ran fine for over a month. The week I start using the C9 the DX300 amp blew. Got the new amp and the DX300 worked fine again. I started using the C9 and again the amp blew within a week. It seems to be an issue with the C9 but I don’t know for sure. Paul from iBasso said it is possible that the C9 is grounding the negative side of the balanced circuit, which would blow the op amps for the negative side.

Mar 7, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #2,099 of 6,237
The DX300 ran fine for over a month. The week I start using the C9 the DX300 amp blew. Got the new amp and the DX300 worked fine again. I started using the C9 and again the amp blew within a week. It seems to be an issue with the C9 but I don’t know for sure. Paul from iBasso said it is possible that the C9 is grounding the negative side of the balanced circuit, which would blow the op amps for the negative side.
C9 and 300 both need repair than?
That sucks. Is Paul having you return the C9 to have it checked.

Mar 7, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #2,100 of 6,237
Grounding the Negative side of the Ibasso ? That would mean the L- and R- would also be shorted to ground on the C9. If that is the case, then the C9 itself would be damaged too, not just DX300

Still doesn’t make sense to me. If the C9 shorted itself from L- or R- to ground then you would not have any sound on 1 channel that is shorted

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back