Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
May 5, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #1,442 of 2,306
Because 95% of buyers just use the new production tubes included :wink:  Oh and that they likely made hundreds of thousands not expecting transistors to take off helps too :D

May 6, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #1,446 of 2,306
For me, I am sticking with my quad matched NOS set of Siemens/Halske 6922=E88CC=CCa early 60's.

Here is the what one of the 4 tubes test at, the other three are very close also.

When buying high end NOS tubes you have to be very careful and wait for the true NOS to come along.
Example, I have had folks wanting to buy this quad set from me and the same goes for my matched NOS pair of  WE300B's (date codes 56/26 on both, test at 80). But because I know how very good these tubes are I am not selling.
My point is, do you want a lot of just fair tubes or do you want the best of the best.
wink_face.gif

May 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #1,447 of 2,306
Quote:
Gents, tubes 1 & 3 should have more impact on the sound under normal conditions. These tubes are the front stage diff amp and handle both the input signals and the NFB.

just to be perfectly clear - We count tube #1 as the tube closest to the on/off switch and #4 as closest to the volume control?

May 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #1,449 of 2,306
For now, just above average. LF opens up and bass gets heftier after overnight burn-in. This is going to be an amazing amp. 

Quote:
For me, I am sticking with my quad matched NOS set of Siemens/Halske 6922=E88CC=CCa early 60's.

Here is the what one of the 4 tubes test at, the other three are very close also.

When buying high end NOS tubes you have to be very careful and wait for the true NOS to come along.
Example, I have had folks wanting to buy this quad set from me and the same goes for my matched NOS pair of  WE300B's (date codes 56/26 on both, test at 80). But because I know how very good these tubes are I am not selling.
My point is, do you want a lot of just fair tubes or do you want the best of the best.
wink_face.gif

May 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #1,450 of 2,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burn in would help. You know what would help more? Better tubes.
tongue.gif

I would recommend these:
http://www.tubemonger.com/Matsu****a_Japan_6922_E88CC_Mullard_Tooling_NOS_p/591.htm

Not to pricey, clean sounding tubes and really good bass heft IMO.

A short note of caution... I was advised by Cavalli Audio that these Matsu****as are not exact replacements for the stock tubes and should not be used. I suspect the chance that something goes wrong and/or your amp is damaged is very slim, but nonetheless I have resisted the urge to try my quad of Matsu****as in my Liquid Fire.

May 6, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #1,452 of 2,306
Prior to LF, my amp is HeadRoom Max. It is actually a very good amp. Really dynamic, powerful and very resolving and smooth for a SS .... Well, LF is like a fine wine. Once tasting it, it's so difficult to go back to the lesser one. LF is transparent, totally quiet, and resolves details even better w/o yielding ground to Headroom Max on dynamics.

May 6, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #1,453 of 2,306
Quote:

A short note of caution... I was advised by Cavalli Audio that these Matsu****as are not exact replacements for the stock tubes and should not be used. I suspect the chance that something goes wrong and/or your amp is damaged is very slim, but nonetheless I have resisted the urge to try my quad of Matsu****as in my Liquid Fire.

Thanks for the heads up. I thought as they were E88CC/6922 and not ECC88s that they were ok to use. They really helped bring out the bass on my Lyr when I had them (and the Lyr).

May 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #1,454 of 2,306
Does anyone have the datasheet for the Matsh.... tubes, we can put this question to rest especially as some of you already own them.

I have not paid much attention to the forums lately - life i guess, but having spent time with many amps , the WA22 included, I was surprised by some of the comments and decisions. Just goes to show though, this is a really subjective hobby and we all have to find what it is that appeals to us in the end, no matter who agrees or disagrees with your opinions.

..dB

EDIT:

I see where the confusion has come in, matsu****a made a 7DJ8 / PC88 tube which was discussed early on in the LF history, this tube is no good for this amp, the 6922 looks like the real deal and based on the info I could find, it should work perfectly as it has standard 6922 specs

May 6, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #1,455 of 2,306
How do you feel about the WA22 vs the LF?

Quote:
Does anyone have the datasheet for the Matsh.... tubes, we can put this question to rest especially as some of you already own them.

I have not paid much attention to the forums lately - life i guess, but having spent time with many amps , the WA22 included, I was surprised by some of the comments and decisions. Just goes to show though, this is a really subjective hobby and we all have to find what it is that appeals to us in the end, no matter who agrees or disagrees with your opinions.

..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back