Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
Apr 2, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #1,186 of 2,306

Quote:
Don't mean to drag this thread anymore OT than it already is, but if anybody has some literature/resources on the basics of setting up a vinyl system, I'd be much obliged.  I'm ashamed to admit I really don't know much anything about spinning LPs.

http://media.avguide.com/Vinyl_Buyers_Guide_2012.pdf?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=4-2-12&utm_content=&utm_campaign=soundbytes

Just came across this today...

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #1,188 of 2,306
A second site to read and think about when considering dipping into vinyl.

http://www.high-endaudio.com/

I have read most of his site, and learned quite a bit,  his vinyl sections for reference components turntable, tonearm and cartridge helped me work out what I might want.

http://www.high-endaudio.com/rec.html

I especially liked the part about how "professional journal reviews" happen, get written and how much acrimony happens when the curtain is pulled back.  Given that I have approached many reviews especially the ones in the for profit heavily advertised magazines in a new light. 

http://www.high-endaudio.com/reviewers.html

Hope this helps.

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #1,189 of 2,306
Arthur's stories about Krell amps are really hilarious.

It is one of those "must-read" items.

Quote:
A second site to read and think about when considering dipping into vinyl.

http://www.high-endaudio.com/

I have read most of his site, and learned quite a bit,  his vinyl sections for reference components turntable, tonearm and cartridge helped me work out what I might want.

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #1,190 of 2,306
Real Fan?  Or just like Jose's expression.  Real's my Favorite Team!

Quote:
Arthur's stories about Krell amps are really hilarious.

It is one of those "must-read" items.

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #1,191 of 2,306
Got a Calyx 24/192 in to try out with the LF. So far I am liking the combo better than the W4S DAC2. Not by leaps and bounds, but a slightly nicer overall presentation. Considering grabbing a NAD M51 for a bit and deciding between the 3 if I can still a good price on one.

Stay tuned...

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #1,194 of 2,306

Quote:
Quote:

Is there a US/Canadian retailer?  I might want to get one down the line, but I'd prefer not to have to order it from Korea.

Yeah, there are. I got mine in a tentative trade... I know there are however dealers in both The States and Greater Canukistan. Though you'd be better off with a US dealer to avoid undue customs and shipping fees.

I'm waiting to hear the rundown on your Cantata however (that was you that just scored a used one right?). As well as contemplating the NAD M51 or a used Perfect Wave. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #1,195 of 2,306

Quote:
Northwoods Audio in Grand Rapids was where I got mine from.  

Do you still have yours or is it on your "previously owned" list?

Apr 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #1,196 of 2,306
Just looked at my profile - I never even had it on.  I had it for two weeks and sold on Audiogon.  I preferred the Zodiac, especially with it's feature set.  (Plus Zodiac + Voltikus look great together - Calyx's external PS was a complete afterthought and totally throws off the look.  It did look really nice next to the mac mini though.)  I'm DAC-less until Tuesday as I just sold the Zodiac.

Apr 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #1,197 of 2,306
Quote:

I'm waiting to hear the rundown on your Cantata however (that was you that just scored a used one right?). As well as contemplating the NAD M51 or a used Perfect Wave. 

Yeah, I scored the CMC on A'goN.  I'm waiting for it to come in.  Should be here by the end of next week.  PayPal takes a ridiculously long time to clear an eCheck, or else I'd probably already have it.  I'll definitely post some impressions, along with lots of pictures (in the Cantata review thread started by mwilson) as soon as it's in.

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #1,198 of 2,306
I know a few people that have warned me to be weary of PS Audio but I keep hearing good things about their DAC and Transport. Ugh.

I think I'll just stay on track for my Simaudio 360D.

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #1,199 of 2,306

Quote:
I know a few people that have warned me to be weary of PS Audio but I keep hearing good things about their DAC and Transport. Ugh.

Well I certainly won't be spending $1500 on any of their power cables anytime soon, but like you mention, the DAC is pretty well regarded around here.

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #1,200 of 2,306
I meant their components specifically. I could care less about their cables. :D

Quote:
Quote:

Well I certainly won't be spending $1500 on any of their power cables anytime soon, but like you mention, the DAC is pretty well regarded around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back