Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
Dec 5, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #571 of 2,306
The transformer has a dual primary that can be wired for 120V or 240V. But, typically, a 120V primary can handle line voltages from around 110V to 125V so long as the PS is designed to handle this variation from the secondaries.

If you are actually running at 220V the LF should be alright since the secondary windings and the various supplies should accomodate this. It was tested here at 240V because my mains voltage is typically higher than 120V and I use a step up transformer to make 240V. Do you know what your actual mains voltage is?

If you hear the sound of clipping or other very significant distortion this would indicate that the regulators are dropping out somewhere. If you don't hear this and the amp sounds clean and accurate, you are likely ok.

If you want to actually measure voltages this is very simple to do. Please PM me.

MHO is that if your office has decent power you can leave the amp in standby mode. I don't know your situation, but it is hard, although not impossible, to blow out the standby circuit. So, unless you have very severe voltage transients you should be ok.

And it is better to use the piezo switch for turning the amp on/off.

Switching the mains switch does not change the warm up time.

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #572 of 2,306
Thanks again. The voltage in Hong Kong is generally 220V, sometimes with a slight drop depending on the environment. But the sound is indeed very nice and clean so I guess I can assume I am ok with it? With how it is sounding right now, I really don't want to send it back, but if you see that may be a problem which may affect tube life, by all means let me know and I will be happy to post it back and pay for Fedex both ways.

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #573 of 2,306
Googleli,

I have LED's inside my Proceed 2 Amp which is 16 years old and they are still burning bright.

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #574 of 2,306
Wouldn't even a simple surge suppressor mitigate this issue?

Quote:
MHO is that if your office has decent power you can leave the amp in standby mode. I don't know your situation, but it is hard, although not impossible, to blow out the standby circuit. So, unless you have very severe voltage transients you should be ok.

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #575 of 2,306
Yes, it would.

googeli, the LF supplies are designed to provide plenty of headroom for low line voltages. As long as the regulators are all regulating the voltages that your circuit sees are the same as amp in other situations. So there is no degradation of any components because of the lower mains voltage, including the tubes.

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #576 of 2,306
Thanks all for the suggestions and answers! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 5, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #580 of 2,306
Who needs a Christmas tree when I have my LF?
Just goof'n wit cha Alex,I love listening with the lights out and enjoying both the music and the purty colors
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Well, maybe not.
smile.gif

Even though they seem bright, those LEDs are running at half their maximum currents for just this reason (also to reduce the brightness, believe it or not).

The LEDs on the board are part of the circuit and are running well below their maximums.

I guess we'll see ...

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #582 of 2,306
Funny you should mention tinting - I've actually considered it, but got concerned about long-term heat exposure from the tubes so I left the persplex clear. Now the HAL9000 evil-eye power button LED is a whole 'nother story. Makes me want to ask Siri a certain question.

Quote:
For those LED haters, you could always tint the windows on your LF.
The LF is a hot rod, after all...
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #583 of 2,306

Quote:Now the HAL9000 evil-eye power button LED is a whole 'nother story.

I just set a cup or book in front of the glowing orb of power.

I know that Spinal Tap wanted their amps to go to 11, but why does the LF orb light shine like it is on 111?

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #585 of 2,306
The LEDs don't bother me in the least, they are on the right of me in my office. Burn-in continues using the STS burn in disc. Looking forward to the lunch time session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back