Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
Dec 3, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #542 of 2,306

Quote:
Sillysally, which tubes have produced the best bass (impact and quality) with the HE-6/LF combo? I think my Mullard CV2493s should do the job, but I won't know until January or February.

Sorry if you've already answered this.

Honestly, one of the very best 6922s with incredible bass response were the Matsushista 6922s (built in Japan on Mullard tooling). Simply fantastic IMO.

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #544 of 2,306

Quote:
and "cheap" too , at least they were being sold for reasonable rates..dB

Very reasonably priced.

I eventually sold them as I felt the bass was a bit too much for my Audeze headphones (they don't need any help in that department). but with my other cans, they were fantastic. If someone is looking to add more bass punch, these are a great option IMO.

Dec 4, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #545 of 2,306
OK I went out and got this for the Liquid Fire. Relatively cheap compared with my cables at home. Its cost is actually less than the price of a single Telefunken (which I bought a quad) yesterday.

I am now all set for the Liquid Fire. Tracking shows it has arrived in Hong Kong International Airport so I should be able to get it in my office tomorrow. Fingers crossed it comes intact...

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #547 of 2,306
Thanks. I heard that Transparent makes very good cables though I have not tried one yet.

Quote:
Nice..try a transparent Reference power link AC cable when you have the chance. They go for 450 used.

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #548 of 2,306
This cable will be used as interconnect between Rega Saturn and Liquid Fire. As the flagship interconnect of Madison Audio Labs, it comes with a ground box like Tara Labs cables. Glad I did not sell it - it hasn't been used since I changed to Tara Labs The One between the Esoteric K-01 and the Leben. Also requires some burn in. So there are a lot of burn in to do - the power cable, the interconnect, the Liquid Fire, the Telefunken tubes and the ALO Reference 16 cable for LCD3 (which will arrive together with Liquid Fire)... But that's part of the fun isn't it?

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #549 of 2,306

Quote:
But that's part of the fun isn't it?

Not nearly as much fun as watching you spend 
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #551 of 2,306
Silly Sally, I am growing more interested in the Smyth Realizer. I will pay a visit to a friend who has some Magnepan 20.1 speakers driven by high end amps next month, and I am considering getting the Realizer before the visit. I just want to know how it works.

First, for the measurement, do I need to bring the Realizer? Or just the Realizer and the earplug? Will I have to connect the Realizer to his system? If so, connect it at which stage? Will I have to actually bring my Liquid Fire and LCD3 or Stax amp and SR009 to do the measurement?

Second, after I have got the data stored in the Realizer, how do I connect it to my system? Do I connect the Realizer between the CD player and the Liquid Fire? Would the Realizer adjust to the sound signature of my headphones, say LCD3 and SR009?

This thing sounds very exciting but yet I have no clue how it works to get proper measurement from a high end stereo system and make it sound like it on my headphones. I know there is a thread on it but I still can't figure out how it will work with the Liquid Fire and LCD3. By the way does it work with IEMs?

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #552 of 2,306
Going forward it may be better to ask about the Realiser in this thread. http://www.head-fi.org/t/418401/long-awaited-smyth-svs-realiser-now-available-for-purchase/1275

Yes you will need the Realiser and ear mics when you make a PRIR, also its helpfully to know what the numbers mean that are displayed on the Realiser after you made the PRIR. Yes you will have to connect the Realiser to the speaker system, the Realiser sends out a bunch of different tones and verbal directions that are played back though the speaker system and those tones are what the ear mic's pick up and send to the Realiser to make a PRIR.

No you don't have to bring your headphone and gear but it would be a good idea if you did. You can compare what you hear from your PRIR and headphones to make sure its the same thing you hear coming from the speakers. Most can not tell that there headphones are on and speakers are off when they first compare what there new PRIR to the speaker system.

Yes it will work with IEM's but you can't make a HPEQ for the IEM's, you need the mics in your ear canal to make a HPEQ.

imo, if you are going to use the Realiser mainly for 2CH audio its a bit of a waist. Not to say for 2Ch stereo the Realiser is bad, its just that it excels at MCH. That said I do use my Realiser for 2CH stereo most of the time, because how my rig is set-up (i get lazy when I am relaxing) .

The Realiser is made for the pros that do the audio mastering and mixing for music and movies. What they do is make many PRIR's from all kinds of audio systems and room acoustics, when they do there mixing and mastering they can do it at home and hear how the audio sounds using different speaker systems and acoustics. Beware the Realiser is not really a plug and play toy.

btw, I hope PS audio has improved on there power cords. I had two of there top of the line power cords (the ones with about 20% silver) and they were awful. However I do like there P5 it does a nice job in my system.
I use Blacksands violet Z1 power cords and Iron Lung Jellyfish power cords. The Violet Z1 is very fast, clean and good sound-stage, the ILJF is much cheaper but a great bang for the buck and has is about 90% of what the Z1 sounds like. imo

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #553 of 2,306
Thanks Sally. I do have a full 7.1 HT at home with the Oppo 95 as player and the Pioneer LX85 AV amp. Would be great if I can PRIR the thing with a cinema but it seems impossible to do unless I am a cinema owner or know one, which I don't. Second to that I may PRIR in a friend's home which hosts seven big JBL speakers. Also is it possible to use the Realizer but at the same time output the bass to my SVS PC 13 Ultra subwoofer? If it could imitate the bass of a JL Audio subwoofer at my friend's home it would be great but I doubt if any headphone can reproduce the bass of a real subwoofer.

The power cord I use is frankly a compromise compared to the Siltech G7 Ruby Hill II and Isotek Syncro I use for the Esoteric K-01 and Leben at home. I just intended to buy a cheap cable for office use, just to power up the amp and get a feel of its signature first then fine tune later. Will switch between this cable and the Burmester power cord I am using for the Rega to see which suits which better though. Will certainly get a better one such as Siltech or Transparent once I have a feel of how it sounds like with the Telefunkens and the LCD3.

Also, for the LCD3, do you use the upper or lower headphone jack?

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #554 of 2,306
googleli,

May the force be with you.  Enjoy the Liquid Fire.  I just love mine!

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #555 of 2,306
Googlei,

I have the LC2.2's and use the top jack.  Originally I used the lower but read where for ortho's the top might be better suited and it is.  What headphone cable are you going to be using?

I too would like to get the Smyth Realizer.  The US distributor is about a 3 hour drive from me unless someone gets one of these in locally.  I think this could be the ultimate in headphone listening.  SS sure has found that Nirvana for sure!  A side note about the Realizer: I spoke w/the US distributor about 5 months ago.  At the time he only had one demo left and he sold that to Apple Computers.  Maybe some reverse engineering happening.  Who knows.  But it would be cool if you could get these for much less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back