Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
Nov 29, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #496 of 2,306

Quote:
I'm listening to George Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh ripped from DVD to files.  Whoa.  The impact of this isn't to be missed:  Billy Preston " That's the way........, Leon Russel " Jumpin' Jack.........., Dylan, George....
This is one dynamic listen with the Liquid Fire just blasting these tunes out.  The LCD-3 boys say it has better bass than my LC-2rev2.  I'd like to hear that because the bass on this recording is going down to my toes!!

I thought so too when I had my LCD-2 r.2...I mean, the bass couldn't get any better than what I was hear....and then I got the LCD-3s. I stand corrected.

The more noticeable improvements are in regards to instrumental separation, clarity, treble/air and sound staging. Not a huge improvement with regards to bass, but still an improvement nonetheless.

Nov 29, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #497 of 2,306
Mac,

I've got to hear that bass!!!  I love bass that hits the floor and keeps on going.  That is to me is the best in a system when it plays back and is defined and beautiful and deep as you can't believe it will go!

Nov 29, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #498 of 2,306

Quote:
Mac,

I've got to hear that bass!!!  I love bass that hits the floor and keeps on going.  That is to me is the best in a system when it plays back and is defined and beautiful and deep as you can't believe it will go!

Don't get me wrong, the LCD-2 r.2 's bass is pretty spectacular too, but there is a bit better refinement, clarity and definition with the LCD-3s with regards to the bass. No headphone I've heard has done bass like either can IMO.

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #499 of 2,306
For the LCD2 Rev 1 the depth of bass is pretty shallow to me. Great impact and slam but just not low enough. That was in comparison with the ED10, SR009 and my custom IEMs. With LCD3 you get the best bass in the world - same great slam but much deeper in the sub-bass region than my Rev 1.

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #500 of 2,306
I remember reading somewhere in this thread that people are using the Liquid Fire as a pre-amp. Would any soldering be required and is the mod reversible? Thanks.

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #502 of 2,306
I spoke to Dr Cavalli about it before I ordered mine, he said it was possible, but not something I would want to try with out a good electronic background.

He was considering the idea for future changes to the amp, pre outs that is.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #505 of 2,306

Quote:
I remember reading somewhere in this thread that people are using the Liquid Fire as a pre-amp. Would any soldering be required and is the mod reversible? Thanks.

You are thinking about the amplifier that Sachu has. He prototyped the first LF board run and as he did not have an assembled amplifier, he custom modified his build into a par metal chassis which included an input selector with multiple RCA inputs and a single RCA out so that it could function as a high end pre-amplifier. 

I had asked Alex in the past about a multifunctional headphone amplifier and preamplifier but he would not be able to keep the compact form factor of the LF as the space required on the rear panel would need to increase to keep the input / output away from the power supply and there would need to be space for relay circuitry etc. In short, it would need to be a redesigned and repackaged product. 

..dB

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #506 of 2,306
I wonder how the Liquid Lightning is progressing?  I'd really like to listen to that w/the 009's.  Anyone here get a chance to hear the LL at one of the shows or meets?

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #508 of 2,306

Quote:
A quick question: do 7308s work on the Liquid Fire?

Back when I had a little more money at my disposal, I asked Alex about what kind of tubes I could use.  Here's his response:

Quote:
[size=11pt]Please don’t use anything that is not in the 6922/6dj8 family. The amp can compensate for a fairly wide range of triode imbalances and cathode currents, but because it is fully DC coupled, it can’t handle any possible condition.[/size]

7308 can be used as a replacement for 6922's, right?  If so, should be fine.  I haven't personally tried them myself, though, and someone with more knowledge and experience can correct me.

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #509 of 2,306
Quote:
I wonder how the Liquid Lightning is progressing?  I'd really like to listen to that w/the 009's.  Anyone here get a chance to hear the LL at one of the shows or meets?

I've been borrowing it for a few weeks, and just sent it back Monday.  I took it to the NY meet.  Cat6man listened to it at length, and a whole bunch of other people listened briefly.  It made its first appearance at CanJam, so that's where the initial listening impressions came from.

I'm writing something up for it right now, so hopefully I can get that done soon.

Nov 30, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #510 of 2,306
I really wish it had Pre outs...I'm having to look elsewhere now for my planned set up.

Off Topic a bit: What are some good sub 2k tube pre options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back