Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
Nov 9, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #2,221 of 2,306
LFs were 3250 I believe. Clear out LGs were what ...3500?

All depends on when you bought I suppose.

Well that makes sense. I bought it when it was introduced. The first run. Maybe I paid more. Who keeps track? Eek! But I just read all of the tubes that you can roll with the LG. That's why I decided not to look at Cavalli's site until now. Hold me back!

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #2,223 of 2,306

Hello gents. I do have some news regarding LF II, but first to clarify...

The original LFs were priced at 3250 with the first run reduced to 2750 for the first buyers. The Liquid Glass was originally priced at $3750, but because I had to bow out of the LF II run last year I reduced the price to $3500 for those who might want to take a Liquid Glass because there were no new LFs.

However, I have been quietly working on the LF concept for all this time, in the background. I have tried to preserve the original character of the LF while making improvements. After a few ideas, I have created a single 6922 version of this amp that I really like. I am prototyping it now (have been keeping it a secret) and, if I survive the current LG and LAu production runs, might have it working in a couple of weeks.
biggrin.gif

I haven't decided whether to call it LF2 or, because it is in the new enclosure and uses one tube instead of four, give a new name. It will have slightly more power than the LF and it will be faster. The skunk works name is Liquid Cobalt (but I'm not sure this will be the final name). The proto will have the same construction as the current set of CA products - machined aluminum, engraved fronts, etc.

I'll let you know if I think it makes the grade as soon as I know. But, I believe it will. If it does, then we'll start to consider when a run of these should be done.

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #2,225 of 2,306
Wow................US Gran Prix practice right now at the home of Cavalli in Austin Texas and my LF volume is Ferrari RED!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #2,226 of 2,306
Originally Posted by Icenine2 
  Alex,  What do you expect or know the sonic differences to be for my original and the upcoming LF?

Hopefully before end of year I should know from actual listening tests. But honestly, I'll have to get the experiences of others before anything definite can be said. This means that I have to ship the amp around a bit.

The actual amplifier portion of the circuit is not changing in any significant way. But the PSs are changing quite a bit, which I'll explain on the CA website. And we know that while the PS (if it's well designed) is not the primary influence on SQ, it does have an effect. Furthermore, I've reduced the tube complement from 4 to 3. I'll explain why a few posts from now on the CA page. This shouldn't change the sound signature, but one thing that's true in audio amps is -- every thing matters. It's just how much or how little.

So, I don't expect much change, but we won't know until someone other than me listens. :)

Hello gents. I do have some news regarding LF II, but first to clarify...

The original LFs were priced at 3250 with the first run reduced to 2750 for the first buyers. The Liquid Glass was originally priced at $3750, but because I had to bow out of the LF II run last year I reduced the price to $3500 for those who might want to take a Liquid Glass because there were no new LFs.

However, I have been quietly working on the LF concept for all this time, in the background. I have tried to preserve the original character of the LF while making improvements. After a few ideas, I have created a single 6922 version of this amp that I really like. I am prototyping it now (have been keeping it a secret) and, if I survive the current LG and LAu production runs, might have it working in a couple of weeks.
biggrin.gif

I haven't decided whether to call it LF2 or, because it is in the new enclosure and uses one tube instead of four, give a new name. It will have slightly more power than the LF and it will be faster. The skunk works name is Liquid Cobalt (but I'm not sure this will be the final name). The proto will have the same construction as the current set of CA products - machined aluminum, engraved fronts, etc.

I'll let you know if I think it makes the grade as soon as I know. But, I believe it will. If it does, then we'll start to consider when a run of these should be done.

It is interesting to note the evolution of the Liquid Fire circuit - from the original 4 vacuum tube design to the 3 tube array mentioned above to the latest thinking of just 1 6922 tube.  Hmm...?

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #2,227 of 2,306
it is called refinement :)

There is a lot that happens with product development, something might sound good but you have not yet explored all ideas and when the version that sounds best presents itself, you run with it. There were several version of the original LF before it moved from the test bench into the amp that so many people have enjoyed. This next evolution has taken a little longer than Alex had anticipated but many confounding events transpired that this amp took a back seat, obviously not cold as Alex continued/continues to mold it. 

I am really looking forward to this new amp both in aesthetics and sound..dB

( Alex has warned me that the design has moved beyond the LF though and thus it will probably be named something new ) 

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #2,228 of 2,306
I have the Prototype Liquid Cobalt (The LF replacement once the Fire MKII) and giving it a listen.  More to come.  The build quality is just incredible and sound as well!

Dec 8, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #2,230 of 2,306
Let me first check with Alex that it is OK.  I'll just say it's along the lines of what the new amps look like.  Only one tube which has been discussed.  Built like a tank!

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #2,231 of 2,306
How exciting. It's like 2011 all over again! :)
Right, Icenine2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back