Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Apr 26, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #977 of 2,728
I have a V30 and strongly thinking about giving these a go. I have certainly found out that this phone does not play well with planars, as both the HE-4xx and Hex v2 just dont have enough power. On the contrary, my FAD Pandora VI will blow my ears off at half volume--but that original slider system is atrocious and they are just way too big to tow around. I also have a Calyx M and Hidizs AP200, both of which may be on the selling block soon. I wish i would've known about the Cascade in time to sign up for the tour as the headband system and ear cup sizes are big variables to test out--I guess that's why places like headphones.com have such great return policies...and an incredibly knowledgeable staff as well.

I tried to at least scan all 64 pages of this thread and i noticed a few of you are using this V30 source. How does it sound with these broken in....clarity and power...compared to a dedicated amp?

I am completely NON-IEM for a variety of reasons and have moved my entire DSD collection over to SD card for V30 playback and a duplicate of the ones for my Exasound DAC. So yes, I would be nearly 100% high-res DSD for playback. Deciding between this and the much pricier Focal Clear, which, although its at perfect resistance to trigger high-powe mode, i dont think the phone would be able to resolve well enough for their expense.

What do V30 owners think of the pairing of these?

Strange I can drive my edition x v2 pretty easily on my iphone 6s

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #978 of 2,728
Strange I can drive my edition x v2 pretty easily on my iphone 6s

The V30 has a notoriously picky amp. It drives dynamic phones with no issue, but seems to have trouble with planars. My dynamic Pandoras are at least twice as loud as especially my HE-4xxx. The Hex is a bit better at less resistance and more senstivity, but still needs more oomph.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #979 of 2,728
Since I do own the ZX300 I decided to test the 4,4mm balanced output and went for the DIY silver cable (ca. 140$). Now just need to wait a week or 2 untill it's done. I was considering ALO cable but with duty tax and VAT the price would be more than 50% of what I paid for Cascades and for me it means getting too close to "this hobby is a disease" zone.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #980 of 2,728
8F8B6D4B-8BDF-4C82-9458-5C080DFA4842.jpeg

See my Post #732 and Post #739. I added a replacement HD 580/600 headband cushion for added padding and so the the center notch could relieve pressure on the center.

Hi,

Got a pair of these recently. They are quite uncomfortable, I cannot do long listening sessions at all. I have a pair of HD6xx that I have no problems with for 8hr sessions.

Any suggestions? Maybe some sort of a cloth for the band?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #983 of 2,728
i am past 150 hours using cascade, and I am using no filters at all and everything sounds simply amazing, I feel the music never sounded as amazing like when using cascade on my ifi pro can amp, I ended up selling my lcd x, which was an all time favourite of mine.

The sound is simply addictive I am using it non stop for hours a day, the bass and how fast it is and full rich, the mids which are right where I like them, the highs never harsh and detailed. Soundstage is perfect.

All I can say i am dead worried how my upcoming hifiman he xv2 and zmf atticus that will arrive soon will compete with the cascade, this cascade simply is the best headphone I ever heard to this date.

@KB thanks for this masterpiece

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #984 of 2,728
i am past 150 hours using cascade, and I am using no filters at all and everything sounds simply amazing, I feel the music never sounded as amazing like when using cascade on my ifi pro can amp, I ended up selling my lcd x, which was an all time favourite of mine.

The sound is simply addictive I am using it non stop for hours a day, the bass and how fast it is and full rich, the mids which are right where I like them, the highs never harsh and detailed. Soundstage is perfect.

All I can say i am dead worried how my upcoming hifiman he xv2 and zmf atticus that will arrive soon will compete with the cascade, this cascade simply is the best headphone I ever heard to this date.

@KB thanks for this masterpiece

Sound Eq,

Wow, so great to hear! we could not be more thrilled to hear all the great feedback.

I thank you so much.

Cheers

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 27, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #985 of 2,728
Hey Guys,

I'll be preordering the Cascade's very soon, but I'm just a tiny bit hesitant as one reviewer stated this:

"Concern for yolk/hanger durability"

He mentioned that the yolk / hanger was slightly bent on arrival, thus he bent it back and it was fine, but he was a still worried that dropping might break them since Aluminium in generel rather snaps than bending. Can some of you maybe do a little stress test and assure me that this is not really a weak point? How does it generally feel stability-wise arround that area? Otherwise they seem built like a tank.

Furthermore, is there any other Over-Ear headphone which can even reach the water of the cascade in terms of Bass-heavy-signature, while maintaining a nice midrange and treble, which are also built like a tank and which are also as affordable?

Also, Ken, if you're reading this, could you tell me if you're actually offering replacement pads? I'm not sure how long real leather-earpads take to be worn down, but I suposse after 2-4 years one might want to replace the pads.

Thank you all in advance! :)

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #986 of 2,728
We will see how well the pads hold up when the tour units come back in. They will have probably 600+ hours on them at that point so probably a pretty good barometer of how well connections, pads, filters, etc hold up to long term usage.

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #987 of 2,728
is there any other Over-Ear headphone which can even reach the water of the cascade in terms of Bass-heavy-signature, while maintaining a nice midrange and treble,

No.

RBH did a cheap set that alluded to the potential that this driver coating had. It was a revelation for folks who love bass and expect/hope/dream for good mids and treble.It is rare. I'm not aware of any set that does it better and I spend my time in Japanese headphone shops looking for em'.

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #988 of 2,728
Yes I know, tried this too. But it looks hideous, lol.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder LOL ...I haven’t been outside with them yet tho

On another note, I have 200+ hours on the Cascade (no filters) and the sound is amazingly rich with a bass punch now and then LOL. IMO, the Cascade sound better the more I listen to them (driver burn-in definitely, plus some user acclimation to the sound signature). Also, I’ve found that the Cascade pairs extremely well with a Mojo. If the Cascade are any indication, I’m definitely pleased with the CA house sound.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #989 of 2,728
No.

RBH did a cheap set that alluded to the potential that this driver coating had. It was a revelation for folks who love bass and expect/hope/dream for good mids and treble.It is rare. I'm not aware of any set that does it better and I spend my time in Japanese headphone shops looking for em'.

This also makes me wonder why they opted for a beryllium driver instead of carbon-diamond for example. Maybe beryllium does some things better than even graphene or ceramic found in even more expensive headphones. But who knows, maybe their next headphones will have a graphene driver or one made out of some other metal. :D

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #990 of 2,728
Hey Guys,

I'll be preordering the Cascade's very soon, but I'm just a tiny bit hesitant as one reviewer stated this:

"Concern for yolk/hanger durability"

He mentioned that the yolk / hanger was slightly bent on arrival, thus he bent it back and it was fine, but he was a still worried that dropping might break them since Aluminium in generel rather snaps than bending. Can some of you maybe do a little stress test and assure me that this is not really a weak point? How does it generally feel stability-wise arround that area? Otherwise they seem built like a tank.

Furthermore, is there any other Over-Ear headphone which can even reach the water of the cascade in terms of Bass-heavy-signature, while maintaining a nice midrange and treble, which are also built like a tank and which are also as affordable?

Also, Ken, if you're reading this, could you tell me if you're actually offering replacement pads? I'm not sure how long real leather-earpads take to be worn down, but I suposse after 2-4 years one might want to replace the pads.

Thank you all in advance! :)

I would not be so concerned about durability. Since they were made for travel - they should be able to take a decent beating. Likewise the yolk/hanger is rather thick. If you have seen an Aeon yolk/hanger it is about 2x/3x as thick.

I had a similar situation where my right yolk was bent slightly, not allowing the intended full motion of the hinge. This problem seemed to resolve itself somehow as I didn't do much manual bending.

As for other headphones, you could try that Sony Z7 a try. I've never tried it but I heard it's pretty good for the price..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back