Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Apr 21, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #946 of 2,728
I have more detailed sounding headphones and doing comparison is part of knowing how they compare in qualities. It's no brainer you'd get used to the sound in extended listen without a reference(as you can say that about any other headphone). My statements are in regards to variety of tracks.

If there is something one notices, pointing them out is important part of impressions. My purpose here isn't to advertise the headphones, just provide impressions based on what I notice.

I have actually tried CTH and for a tube amp, it didn't sound in way particularly tubey sounding to it. It actually didn't sound like there was much lower end(in reference to a solid-state amp that I have) with the headphone I've tried(which was a dynamic driver headphone as well).
I was offering my opinion as assistance, you don't have to be condescending.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #948 of 2,728
DSC_0724.JPG
a>
2ec4c069ae59f.jpg.html

Apr 22, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #949 of 2,728
Is the filters for reducing the highs? It sounds like the highs come out more without the filters. With the highs out more, it provides more clarity. I like it with out the filter the best.

These sound pretty clear on passages that the type of bass doesn't overwhelm certain sounds for clarity(I think this maybe for sounds somewhere in the mids the sounds can blend a bit depending on the bass type). Clarity level depends on the type of bass of the track I find. Certain tracks can sound a bit constrictive sounding, and others a bit wider. I think the wider sounding ones are dependent on the way the recording is done when it comes to how spacier it sounds.

I personally prefer less bass slam with a bit constrictive of of rumble(and I don't find it to be the cleanest rumble, a bit of bloom to it), but some tracks sound so damn fun with this bass! I can see the appeal. The bass maybe pretty transparent when it comes to intentional bass rumble(like hip-hop bass) of tracks that intentions were for such qualities. Or to put it, puts it out!

I'm using solid-state amp, so I get such a response. I wonder how a true tube amp would sound like. I probably wouldn't want the bass too be any looser if the tubes is causing that. I'd want the tightest response possible for these.
Just curious as to why you would try these if you don't like a lot of bass slam/rumble. Did you read any of the thread? Pretty much EVERY impression is of an accentuated bass on these.

Apr 22, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #952 of 2,728
Really like Campfire Audio Cascade design and size. For smaller headed headphone lovers, real chore to find TOTL or better than just average headphones that aren't enormous and/or too heavy for long listening sessions. Audeze off my list. Their best are boat anchors and enormous to boot. Sennheiser HD800S cover the entire side of smaller heads. Insane. Most Beyer's big and fat. Why are most of the best headphones seeming to have been sized for NFL lineman heads? It's a bitch for us small folks.

When finally do find headphone with sound quality that gets in/near the better cans that is close to good size for smaller head - the sound signature has something glaringly off. I know many love the Cascade bass. Not for the music I mostly listen to. Voicing for the young demographic, that's where most of the market resides. Understand. Nonetheless hoping Campfire will follow-up with a less assertive bass. Some slightly wider ear pads would be nice too, but could live with the current ones if you just tune that bass down a bit. Thank you.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #953 of 2,728
I just ordered an XB10 to go with my Cascades after being disappointed by the Fiio Q5. Fingers crossed it will be a good match
I own both the xb10 and q5. The Fiio is better in every way except portability. The balanced output on the xb is quite noisy and the build quality is a bit iffy even at it's lower price. Overall power on the ak is a tad weedy too.

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #954 of 2,728
I own both the xb10 and q5. The Fiio is better in every way except portability. The balanced output on the xb is quite noisy and the build quality is a bit iffy even at it's lower price. Overall power on the ak is a tad weedy too.

Oh dear. My issue with the Q5 was build quality: I had to keep doing hard resets to get the volume dial to work and there would be intermittent dropouts that had nothing to do with bluetooth. I guess I'll see how I get on with the XB10.

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #955 of 2,728
Really like Campfire Audio Cascade design and size. For smaller headed headphone lovers, real chore to find TOTL or better than just average headphones that aren't enormous and/or too heavy for long listening sessions. Audeze off my list. Their best are boat anchors and enormous to boot. Sennheiser HD800S cover the entire side of smaller heads. Insane. Most Beyer's big and fat. Why are most of the best headphones seeming to have been sized for NFL lineman heads? It's a bitch for us small folks.

When finally do find headphone with sound quality that gets in/near the better cans that is close to good size for smaller head - the sound signature has something glaringly off. I know many love the Cascade bass. Not for the music I mostly listen to. Voicing for the young demographic, that's where most of the market resides. Understand. Nonetheless hoping Campfire will follow-up with a less assertive bass. Some slightly wider ear pads would be nice too, but could live with the current ones if you just tune that bass down a bit. Thank you.

Have you tried the Oppo PM-3 / PM-2? They have a similar form factor.

Apr 23, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #956 of 2,728
Oh dear. My issue with the Q5 was build quality: I had to keep doing hard resets to get the volume dial to work and there would be intermittent dropouts that had nothing to do with bluetooth. I guess I'll see how I get on with the XB10.
My xb10 worked OK, it was just the generally plasticky build.
Fwiw, my Q5 works flawlessly. Very happy with it. Quite a neutral, not bright, not warm signature that matches well with the Cascade.
You may have gotten a bung unit.
I'm assuming you're looking for a DAC/amp with Bluetooth functionality. Have a look at the new ifi xdsd.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #957 of 2,728
Soooo, I've been playing music into my new Cascades solidly for a couple of days, and I've gotta say, I'm perceiving a more even, less bloated tonality. It's got to be all in my head though.

Apr 23, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #958 of 2,728
Have you tried the Oppo PM-3 / PM-2? They have a similar form factor.

Smart reply. The PM form factor is indeed better for those with smaller heads. When I owned PM-3 (needed the isolation) was unable to EQ the recessed treble to satisfaction without screwing up the nice mid range. Now that Oppo audio sales is going away, would be concerned how long parts will be made available. It would certainly not be the first time a company is shuttering but saying support and parts will continue only to find that the promise faded away sooner than expected. PM-3 ear pads on mine were starting to flake off and they were not yet eighteen months old.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #959 of 2,728
My xb10 worked OK, it was just the generally plasticky build.
Fwiw, my Q5 works flawlessly. Very happy with it. Quite a neutral, not bright, not warm signature that matches well with the Cascade.
You may have gotten a bung unit.
I'm assuming you're looking for a DAC/amp with Bluetooth functionality. Have a look at the new ifi xdsd.

I got the XB10 today and, yeah, it is definitely plasticky. I'm not sure that bothers me so much since it will mostly be in a coat pocket?

I'm actually listening to my EL-8s with the XB10 since they are a bit harder to drive than the Cascades. I assume there will be no bother in that regard. I am listening to Tidal Hi-Fi and I think the XB10 is adding a bit of treble emphasis. It may just be Tidal's weird volume management though. Aside from that, the sound is pretty full and open. It definitely *seems* crisper than the Q5 was.

Apr 23, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #960 of 2,728
Soooo, I've been playing music into my new Cascades solidly for a couple of days, and I've gotta say, I'm perceiving a more even, less bloated tonality. It's got to be all in my head though.
No it's not your imagination. When I got my Cascades, I took them out the box, plugged them into my Dx200 and listened to Alt J's Tesselate. The sound was ok, bass was great but clarity and detail were a mess with the bass being super forward and voice very recessed. I had gone through this before though with the Vega so I knew they needed to be broken in which I did for about 130 hrs straight. I did not listen to them during this time and when I plugged them back into my Dap and played Tesselate again it was the Campfire sound I was expecting. The bass had tightened up and was was no longer stepping over on the other frequencies, also the clarity and detail were there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back