Car Audio Basshead Seeking Basshead Headphones
Sep 6, 2012 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

thehulq

New Head-Fier
This is my first my first post so forgive me if I am not doing something right. I am a bass head and have been one for a long time. I usually listen to music in my p/u truck with my two 12" type-r subs under my back seat and my type-r door speakers (all amped of course). Now that I am in my 30s, married with a toddler and another kid on the way I have come to the realization that I will rarely be in my vehicle alone. I am rarely able to crank up my system. In fact, when I am in my truck I am usually playing kids CDs/MP3s. I have never spent more than $30 on headphones. I never thought to invest in a good pair of "cans" since I did the majority of my listening while driving. Since my life has changed I plan to do most of my listening on headphones. I work at a major university and see a lot of the kids wearing Beats and skullcandy. I tried them both at the campus book store. The skullcandy sounded terrible. I am ashamed to admit it after reading some of the scathing reviews of Beats on head-fi...but I was initially impressed with Beats (I also thought the Bose QC3s sounded good). Before I spent $300+ on Beats I decided to do some research online which is how I found Head-Fi.  After browsing the site and listening to them again it didn't take long to change my mind about Beats (maybe it was the power of suggestion).

I am looking for some full size basshead cans under $200. IEMs are not an option for me; not comfortable. I listen to mostly Hip Hop but occasionally listen to other genres.  After reading threads for a couple of weeks I have narrowed it down to M50s and MK2s. I went to a pro store and tried the M50s (they didn't have the MK2s). The sound quality was good but it wasn't very loud and the bass wasn't nearly as powerful as the Beats. I assume that I was not that impressed with the M50s because they were not amplified. I've read threads here on head-fi that say that amps are not necessary for the M50s and MK2s and they won’t sound much better amped. I have also read threads that say amps will make them sound great.
I am leaning toward the MK2s and possibly upgrading the ear pads.

My question is will an amp, an E11 for example, make the MK2s have t bass equal or greater than Beats Studio or Beats Pro?

Thanks in advance,
The HULQ

Sep 6, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 21
Oh dude, the MKII's have bass equivalent to that of two subwoofers tied to your skull, and that UN-amped, you should you must get the MkII's over the Beats Studios ANYDAY.

Only downside to the MKII's is that they might be a little uncomfortable, look into the Beyerdynamic DT770's if you want an amp

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:
Oh dude, the MKII's have bass equivalent to that of two subwoofers tied to your skull, and that UN-amped, you should you must get the MkII's over the Beats Studios ANYDAY.

Only downside to the MKII's is that they might be a little uncomfortable, look into the Beyerdynamic DT770's if you want an amp

Are you saying that the MK2s do not sound better amped?

Sep 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 21
For me, the Sony XB500 is a great basslets can, especially when paired with the FiiO E7 or E11. Definitely check them out. :)

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:
For me, the Sony XB500 is a great basslets can, especially when paired with the FiiO E7 or E11. Definitely check them out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks biggbenn74. I not huge fan of the styling of the XB series. I am looking for a headphone that is really durable, preferably with a detachable cord. I haven't been able to listen to the XBs at any stores yet (none on display in my area). I did listen to some klipsch image one's this week end, they sounded pretty good without an amp. Has any tried the image ones with an amp?

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #6 of 21
I've yet to hear any headphone that sounds better unamped ^

Anyway, check out the m audio q 40s and ultrasone 580s

Since most of the headphone listening I do is in a recording setting I didn't fall in love with either one since they transformed recordings so much, but as a car audio enthusiast I think they're as close as headphones come to capturing that "12 in the trunk sound. Quantity for both is very high. HFI is tighter with bright treble. Q 40 is "rumbly" with mild treble.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #8 of 21
Thanks machoboy and Posam. I''d like to try several of the basshead cans before making a purchase. Where is best place to try headphones out? I've been to the big box stores and the selection is limited. Guitar Center was a little better but did not have a listening station like the the big box stores.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #9 of 21
If you cannot find a local store to try out cans, Amazon.com has a great return policy and makes it fairly painless to try them out there.  I am a moderate basshead myself and I have owned both the m50's and the Pro700 MK2's.  I will say that the MK2's will rumble the side of your face, but they DO require an amp to meet their full basshead potential.  You want to make sure you get an amp with bass boost since that is what you are wanting more so than the increased power.  Several people think very highly of the ZO2 for this purpose.  The E11 will do pretty great at it as well.  I do not have either of those amps but I do have an e6 and my e17 comes in tomorrow morning so I can follow up once I hear that as it has about the same amount of power that the e11 has.  There are plenty of other options, and depending on what source you are using you might even have the option on it.

That being said, if I am correct you are asking about headphones to wear while you are driving with your family in the car?  Both of these headphones and most closed cans (that you would want for heavy bass) are going to isolate extremely well, far more so than even cranking up your car's 12's.  Full-sized closed cans are better than isolating IEMs for driving but are certainly not ideal.  Trust me I understand your situation as my wife says my music hurts her head (even when at low volumes, and even though it is far less fatiguing to your ears than the pop she likes...)

Good luck with your quest for bass-heavy cans.  My vote goes for the MK2's, they sound great and are built like a tank, but you will want an amp for them. Even without the bass boost the amp's increased power will help tighten up the bass significantly, and with it these things can rattle your brain.  *Note* Do not judge them by how they sound when you unbox them, leave them playing music for at least 12 hours before they start to sound ok, and 40+ hours before they mature into the beast they are.  

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:
If you cannot find a local store to try out cans, Amazon.com has a great return policy and makes it fairly painless to try them out there.  I am a moderate basshead myself and I have owned both the m50's and the Pro700 MK2's.  I will say that the MK2's will rumble the side of your face, but they DO require an amp to meet their full basshead potential.  You want to make sure you get an amp with bass boost since that is what you are wanting more so than the increased power.  Several people think very highly of the ZO2 for this purpose.  The E11 will do pretty great at it as well.  I do not have either of those amps but I do have an e6 and my e17 comes in tomorrow morning so I can follow up once I hear that as it has about the same amount of power that the e11 has.  There are plenty of other options, and depending on what source you are using you might even have the option on it.

That being said, if I am correct you are asking about headphones to wear while you are driving with your family in the car?  Both of these headphones and most closed cans (that you would want for heavy bass) are going to isolate extremely well, far more so than even cranking up your car's 12's.  Full-sized closed cans are better than isolating IEMs for driving but are certainly not ideal.  Trust me I understand your situation as my wife says my music hurts her head (even when at low volumes, and even though it is far less fatiguing to your ears than the pop she likes...)

Good luck with your quest for bass-heavy cans.  My vote goes for the MK2's, they sound great and are built like a tank, but you will want an amp for them. Even without the bass boost the amp's increased power will help tighten up the bass significantly, and with it these things can rattle your brain.  *Note* Do not judge them by how they sound when you unbox them, leave them playing music for at least 12 hours before they start to sound ok, and 40+ hours before they mature into the beast they are.  

No not not for driving! I won't be driving with headphones on. You misunderstood me. I have pretty much given up on listening to my system in the car (and house). I am looking for some high quality basshead cans to use mostly at work or at the gym. I'll bump my car system whenever I get the opportunity.

I'm really leaning toward the MK2 + E11 for my 1st set-up. Have you switched your ear pads on your M50s and MK2s? Don't forget to check-in with an update on how the E17 sounds compared to the E6. Thanks Mad Dawg

Sep 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #11 of 21
I did not have them at the same time so I could not test the M50's pad on the MK2.  I found that the MK2's are very wearable if you stuff packing foam (cotton was not enough for me so I used packing foam that comes with HP server parts.)  However, I bought some Beyer Black Gel pads, and while they are expensive, the comfort level is just insane.  I have been able to workout in these, mow the lawn in the Texas heat, work with them all all day, etc...  They get a little sweaty but nowhere near what you would get from most pleather pads and they wipe off easily since they barely fit on the cans anyways. (I have chosen not to tape/glue mine as I see no need)

They do have a mod on these cans that many people on these forums swear by.  It involves covering some extra vent holes with tape.  It looks very easy, and  completely reversible but I personally have not felt the need for any more bass from these so I have not done it myself.  I think the thread title is MK2 Sound Correction Mod, or something along those lines.  Let me know if you can't find it and I'll give you a link.

Sep 11, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #12 of 21
For 70 bucks, the Numark Red Waves have excellent bass (not as much as the XB500, but almost. I'd say 75%) anyway, the styling is great, and it has a detachable cable. Also, the sound quality is better than the XB500. I recommend looking into these headphones.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:
I did not have them at the same time so I could not test the M50's pad on the MK2.  I found that the MK2's are very wearable if you stuff packing foam (cotton was not enough for me so I used packing foam that comes with HP server parts.)  However, I bought some Beyer Black Gel pads, and while they are expensive, the comfort level is just insane.  I have been able to workout in these, mow the lawn in the Texas heat, work with them all all day, etc...  They get a little sweaty but nowhere near what you would get from most pleather pads and they wipe off easily since they barely fit on the cans anyways. (I have chosen not to tape/glue mine as I see no need)

They do have a mod on these cans that many people on these forums swear by.  It involves covering some extra vent holes with tape.  It looks very easy, and  completely reversible but I personally have not felt the need for any more bass from these so I have not done it myself.  I think the thread title is MK2 Sound Correction Mod, or something along those lines.  Let me know if you can't find it and I'll give you a link.

I may consider the mod after I get them and try them out for awhile. Thanks for the info.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
For 70 bucks, the Numark Red Waves have excellent bass (not as much as the XB500, but almost. I'd say 75%) anyway, the styling is great, and it has a detachable cable. Also, the sound quality is better than the XB500. I recommend looking into these headphones.

The red waves are definitley on my list to check out. Anybody have comparrisons to bass of MK2s?

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #15 of 21
Sorry this took so long, I came down with strep throat and have been pretty busy catching up with work.

So I got my e17 in and have been using it with my computer via optical at home (only for testing since I have an x-fi titanium) and usb at work (where I primarily listen to music for hours at a time.)  All I can say is WOW, this thing has the same amount of power as the front-port amp that is on my x-fi and the quality is almost indiscernible between the two.  As a DAC this thing is fantastic, compared to my work computer's headphone out it is not even on the same level.  As an amp, I can only compare it to an e6, which seems like a simple toy now...  The e17 has so much power, I could never imagine listening at the loudest levels, in fact I am scared to even turn it up all the way with them off my head.  If you adjust the bass to +10 (~15dB boost) these cans will literally shake around on your skull.  It seems like the gain levels affect the bass a little as well.  The amp seems relatively neutral at 0 gain but as you set it to +6 or +12 it seems to get a little warmer.  I do not have the required knowledge to do a full review of this amp so let me just tell you how I feel.  The money I spend on the Pro700MK2's: well spent, feel great about the purchase, but still wonder if I might get something else after a year or so of having these.  I am thinking about getting a new open set for movies/gaming/music combo.  Possibly jumping into the $500+ range here, but overall I am VERY satisfied with the MK2's.  Now on to the e17 dac/amp: I am 110% satisfied here, I see no reason to upgrade this anytime soon.  I got everything I imagined that this would be when I set out to make my amp purchase.

If you have any doubts that the MK2/e17 combo will satisfy your basshead needs just stop.  There is no doubts here, in fact I highly doubt that you will regularly end up leaving the bass all the way turned on on the e17, it's too much at times.

Feel free to reply or pm me if you have any questions here,
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back