Can't Feel the Music...
Apr 20, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #46 of 80
Well since you put up the Gloryhammer tune I thought I would listen to it on a few headphones. Th weather is nice so I tend to listen on the back patio so transportable amps and dacs are what I use. Today it’s the Dragonfly Red from a iPad Pro to a iFi Zen Can Signature 6XX as it has plenty of power to drive a lot of headphones. Three I thought did very well with it . The first the Diana V2’s one of my new favorite headphones probably not what your looking for for this. While it does sound great a couple of others might be more up your alley.
The Massdrop Fostex TR-X00’s Mahoganies. They are just a fun headphone with lots of bass.
The other out of the box is the Grado Hemps while not bass heavy just rocks that tune.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #47 of 80
Well since you put up the Gloryhammer tune I thought I would listen to it on a few headphones. Th weather is nice so I tend to listen on the back patio so transportable amps and dacs are what I use. Today it’s the Dragonfly Red from a iPad Pro to a iFi Zen Can Signature 6XX as it has plenty of power to drive a lot of headphones. Three I thought did very well with it . The first the Diana V2’s one of my new favorite headphones probably not what your looking for for this. While it does sound great a couple of others might be more up your alley.
The Massdrop Fostex TR-X00’s Mahoganies. They are just a fun headphone with lots of bass.
The other out of the box is the Grado Hemps while not bass heavy just rocks that tune.
Thank you for testing the suggested song.

I have to say. My mind and ears are currently twisted in a knot modding the T60RP. Testing ZMF swede and protein pads, mayflower baffle mod, blocking ports, yada, yada, yada, yada. These small mods change the sound drastically. I have a keen ear to know what I don't like. It's just hard for me to put it into words since I don't know the lingo well. Considering sending them to Modhouse and have him work his magic if he ever gets his crap straight, being a small family business and all. Very curious on his sound signature for the T60RPs.

On another note. The LCD-2C are a real dream. Gloryhammer smacked me right in the nads. Everyone here that suggested the LCD-2C's were on point. The music is ALIVE. Plenty of detail without being overbearing. Not fatiguing for most genres. I still could use a little more bass presence but what is there is nice, clean and full. I can feel the music. Clear keepers and potentially "end game", lol (whatever that means :wink: )

They are not perfect though, Maynard Ferguson, Arturo Sandoval, Dizzy Gillespie, Fats Navarro, and Al Hirt still are too bright and piercing to a point. Not as bad as the Sundara's and HD560s. I guess that makes me treble sensitive. (Being a trumpet player, I find that kinda funny.) Should I learn to EQ? Man, I really don't want to add any unnecessary stress to my music listening experience. Honestly, I wish I could unhear most of the things I hear in music. Whether it be due to a low quality recording, lackluster sound engineers, or my own subpar gear.

Anywho, I think I may need a different kind of headphone to listen to my favorite trumpet screaming players other than the LCD-2Cs. Which I'm thinking where the modhouse mod may help. Not sure though. Lets see if Modhouse actually opens up for Argonization next month. If so, I'll be the first to send my T60RPs in for tuning.

Quick reference of the ear drum piercing music I love so much (in obviously better quality than youtube):

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #48 of 80
Apr 24, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #49 of 80
This has been well covered/debated in the LCD2-C thread

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-lcd-2c-classic-impressions-thread.862174/post-16197467

I'm using the oratory1990 EQ settings with mine, and I’m very happy with the result, fixing up the midrange around 4k especially.

What source do you have? Apols if you’ve mentioned before. I've got a MacBook Pro, using SoundSource to EQ, but theres others for both Mac and Window.
Thank you for the link. Juice topic for sure. I too have tested oratory1990 EQ settings. I'm using Peter's Equalizer APO on my PC. Not a big fan of oratory1990 to be honest. Not that it isn't good, but I prefer a different flavor for every song. I've tested his EQ on Sundara's, HD 598's, HD 560's, T60RP's, and now the LCD-2C's and it's just not my favorite flavor all the time. I lean more towards innerfidelity and rtings most of the time for some reason, but not always. Maybe my battered ear holes prefer the warmth regardless of who makes the EQ profile.

I honestly rather not screw around too much with EQ. I know that it will sink me further into this hobby than I already am. Being over analytic is not fun for enjoyment. I just want to enjoy the music and give my ears what they like to hear.
yes.png

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #50 of 80
Just when I thought all was lost............................. the Audeze LCD-2C has turned my frown upside down. Loving these cans more and more.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #51 of 80
Just when I thought all was lost............................. the Audeze LCD-2C has turned my frown upside down. Loving these cans more and more.

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #52 of 80
So good you had to quote yourself and post it twice! :beyersmile:

when I first bought mine I thought they were one step on the journey, but for now I don’t really need much else for desktop/home use.

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #53 of 80
So good you had to quote yourself and post it twice! :beyersmile:

when I first bought mine I thought they were one step on the journey, but for now I don’t really need much else for desktop/home use.
Quoted myself by mistake, then couldn't figure out how to delete it. LOL.

Here is a short video of me listening to Maynard Ferguson on the Sundara's I returned.

j/k
but that's exactly how I felt

Apr 24, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #54 of 80
Maybe you should consider getting different types of headphones. At least determine in first place what suits you the best. Open or closed backs tend to sound a certain way.

A better/cleaner source can often improve the sound way better than expensive headphones, first.
Sound is not always about price, second.
The structure/drivers/earpads/ear channel shape/age WILL change the way you perceive sound + everyone taste is different, third.

That's why there's no thumb of rule as it's all relative to each person. But there's plenty of headphones so you can choose which one you like the best.
As a matter of fact music genres are different and will have more interesting and valuable information either in the low, mid or high frequency range depending on genre.
I guess Sundara sounded good on some tracks but as you stated, was too sharp/piercing to you with others tracks. And that's for those tracks you want another set.
Not like the real expensive ones, can be a mid-end set, if you like it. But again, whatever, consider improving the source first, that's my advice.
Can be a DAC or one of those headphones tube amps, IMO, it will give you more value for money than just buying those so-called "holy woow pair of headphones".

Last but not least, always make sure your rig got enough power to drive your headphones or it will sound garbage. And again, "expensive" doesn't mean "good sound".

Apr 24, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #55 of 80
Quoted myself by mistake, then couldn't figure out how to delete it. LOL.

Here is a short video of me listening to Maynard Ferguson on the Sundara's I returned.

j/k
but that's exactly how I felt

Ok I'm not going to lie that's hilarious, I've never seen that guy before and am already on board.

AH-D7200.

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #57 of 80
I always recomment the Zen CAN over the overpriced signature... there is a video around on youtube that shows the Signature is more or less the same in the bass with actually a less desirable treble spike vs the CAN IMO making it better and cheaper.... not sure if the signature comes with the iPower however which seems to make a difference and is $50

@Maximus Pain @OP I stopped myself from replying when I saw you bought Audeze as I went with the cheaper mobius + Zen CAN and it has improved my headphone experience with my DT990 basscanon build as well as made my Sundara from a k-drama/natural beast to something I enjoy for music as well so above all I suggest you invest in iFi and I think my M1570+iFi experience for the record comes close or better to the LCD-2C/Fazor one.... Not to detract as owning an Audeze is just feels nice as I am wearing my mobius now and thoroughly enjoy it but I think the amount of Bass output on the 2C with the Xbass button would be titanic since I use it on the M1570 which is relatively rolled off to come closer to the 2C/Fazor amount of bass.

All that said please do not take my post as harping on another similar headphone as I simply am a slave to the fact if I love something I will spread the gospel.

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #58 of 80
Maybe you should consider getting different types of headphones. At least determine in first place what suits you the best. Open or closed backs tend to sound a certain way.

A better/cleaner source can often improve the sound way better than expensive headphones, first.
Sound is not always about price, second.
The structure/drivers/earpads/ear channel shape/age WILL change the way you perceive sound + everyone taste is different, third.

That's why there's no thumb of rule as it's all relative to each person. But there's plenty of headphones so you can choose which one you like the best.
As a matter of fact music genres are different and will have more interesting and valuable information either in the low, mid or high frequency range depending on genre.
I guess Sundara sounded good on some tracks but as you stated, was too sharp/piercing to you with others tracks. And that's for those tracks you want another set.
Not like the real expensive ones, can be a mid-end set, if you like it. But again, whatever, consider improving the source first, that's my advice.
Can be a DAC or one of those headphones tube amps, IMO, it will give you more value for money than just buying those so-called "holy woow pair of headphones".

Last but not least, always make sure your rig got enough power to drive your headphones or it will sound garbage. And again, "expensive" doesn't mean "good sound".
Thank you for your insight.

My current setup:
W10 PC
Tidal Streaming / Foobar Flac Files of my old CD collection
Schiit Asgard 3 w/ integrated DAC
Peter's EAPO w/ AutoEQ or default settings
Audeze LCD-2C
Fostex T60RP w/ ZMF Protein Pads (waiting for Modhouseaudio to start accepting Argon orders)
Sennhowitzer HD 560S (reference and FPS gaming)
Antillon Audio Modmic Wireless Microphone (on all 3 headphones for talking to myself when I get lonely :) )
Klipsch R-15PM powered monitors (on the desk)
Klipsch R-10SW subwoofer (under the desk)

"Open or closed backs tend to sound a certain way."
I enjoy open back headphones. I want to know if my kids fighting in the next room or if someone rings the doorbell while I'm listening to my favorite tunes. Priorities......

"Sound is not always about price, second."
Actually, I have no interest in purchasing expensive headphones.

"That's why there's no thumb of rule as it's all relative to each person."
100% agree!

"As a matter of fact music genres are different and will have more interesting and valuable information either in the low, mid or high frequency range depending on genre."
100% agree!

"I guess Sundara sounded good on some tracks but as you stated, was too sharp/piercing to you with others tracks. And that's for those tracks you want another set."
You are spot on!

"always make sure your rig got enough power to drive your headphones or it will sound garbage."
Glad you mentioned that. I actually think I may have gone too small with the Schiit Asgard 3. It drives what I have just fine right now but in the future, I may want to try more inefficient headphones that will require more juice. A Schiit Jotunheim may have been a better long term investment. But for now, the Asgard 3 is doing an exceptional job.

"expensive" doesn't mean "good sound"
I couldn't have said it better myself

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #59 of 80
I always recomment the Zen CAN over the overpriced signature... there is a video around on youtube that shows the Signature is more or less the same in the bass with actually a less desirable treble spike vs the CAN IMO making it better and cheaper.... not sure if the signature comes with the iPower however which seems to make a difference and is $50

@Maximus Pain @OP I stopped myself from replying when I saw you bought Audeze as I went with the cheaper mobius + Zen CAN and it has improved my headphone experience with my DT990 basscanon build as well as made my Sundara from a k-drama/natural beast to something I enjoy for music as well so above all I suggest you invest in iFi and I think my M1570+iFi experience for the record comes close or better to the LCD-2C/Fazor one.... Not to detract as owning an Audeze is just feels nice as I am wearing my mobius now and thoroughly enjoy it but I think the amount of Bass output on the 2C with the Xbass button would be titanic since I use it on the M1570 which is relatively rolled off to come closer to the 2C/Fazor amount of bass.

All that said please do not take my post as harping on another similar headphone as I simply am a slave to the fact if I love something I will spread the gospel.
"All that said please do not take my post as harping on another similar headphone as I simply am a slave to the fact if I love something I will spread the gospel."
Not harping at all. I understand what your saying. We like what we like and it's nice to share our experiences with others. Good or bad. I tried to EQ the crap out of the Sundara's and just couldn't pull it off. Also, they hurt my ears for some reason. In short, they had to go but I'm grateful that I got to listen to a pair for a whole month. (Thank you Amazon)

Apr 25, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #60 of 80
"All that said please do not take my post as harping on another similar headphone as I simply am a slave to the fact if I love something I will spread the gospel."
Not harping at all. I understand what your saying. We like what we like and it's nice to share our experiences with others. Good or bad. I tried to EQ the crap out of the Sundara's and just couldn't pull it off. Also, they hurt my ears for some reason. In short, they had to go but I'm grateful that I got to listen to a pair for a whole month. (Thank you Amazon)
haha I understand they are far from being non sibilant my advice to you however is to never, ever, buy a Beyerdynamic. That is unless your preferences change to a more sadomasochistic experience being enjoyable.. That being said after my notable experience with headphones I will reiterate that the vast majority not having a bass switch (which even my Fiio A5 portable has) is IMO a bit unacceptable, it seems to me you enjoy Bass as do I with Harman shelf being just about the minimum I can tolerate and specifically the iFi way of increasing the db along the range but heavily bring up frequencies around 20hz is second to none that I have experienced... All that said I do stay away from EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back