Can't Feel the Music...
Apr 14, 2021 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

Maximus Pain

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not an audiophile. Just a regular Joe trying to figure things out.

I've been using a pair of Senn HD 598SE for gaming and music listening for about 5 years now. Being recently retired, a few months ago I decided to go on journey to find the best set of headphones that I can afford for music listening. Mostly EDM, Jazz, and Classical. Not really into vocals.

Previous setup:
Modi 3+, Magni 3+
Hifiman Sundara
Harmonicdyne Zeus

-Hated the Sundara's for music listening. Maynard Furguson nearly blew a hole in my ear drum. Way too piercing for my taste.
-Loved the Zeus but sold them to fund my next purchase. Already miss them.
-Returned the Modi 3+, Magni 3+ stack for an Asgard 3 with DAC.

Current setup:
Asgard 3 with integrated DAC
Senn HD 560s

-Hate the 560s for music listening.
-Senn HD 560s are great for gaming paired with a wireless Modmic. Keeping them.
-Ordered a pair of Fostex T60RP's to try them out and have some modding and experimentation fun. Expectations are not very high after reading the T60RP threads here.

So far I've learned that I lean more towards a full, rich, clean sound with a decent amount of bass. Clean bass, not muddy and uncontrolled.

The Sundara's and HD 560s for music enjoyment just don't do it for me. I know now that I don't like analytical headphones.

I just want to lay back and feel the music without overthinking things. I want to be wowed. I want goosebumps. I want, I want, I want.... :)

What headphones under 1,000 USD would you guys suggest, given what I've stated above?

Thank you

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 80
Have you tried Audeze LCD2-Classic?

Sounds like it might be what you're after sound-wise, and pairs very well with the Asgard3. I get a rich, warm sound from them, with plenty of bass. I don't feel they are of the 'analytical' sort, rather just sit back and enjoy the tunes.

I've been really happy with mine, and while you can always dream of the next purchase, I think I'd have to spend at least 2-3x more to get a worthwhile improvement.

Apr 14, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 80
I'm not an audiophile. Just a regular Joe trying to figure things out.

I've been using a pair of Senn HD 598SE for gaming and music listening for about 5 years now. Being recently retired, a few months ago I decided to go on journey to find the best set of headphones that I can afford for music listening. Mostly EDM, Jazz, and Classical. Not really into vocals.

Previous setup:
Modi 3+, Magni 3+
Hifiman Sundara
Harmonicdyne Zeus

-Hated the Sundara's for music listening. Maynard Furguson nearly blew a hole in my ear drum. Way too piercing for my taste.
-Loved the Zeus but sold them to fund my next purchase. Already miss them.
-Returned the Modi 3+, Magni 3+ stack for an Asgard 3 with DAC.

Current setup:
Asgard 3 with integrated DAC
Senn HD 560s

-Hate the 560s for music listening.
-Senn HD 560s are great for gaming paired with a wireless Modmic. Keeping them.
-Ordered a pair of Fostex T60RP's to try them out and have some modding and experimentation fun. Expectations are not very high after reading the T60RP threads here.

So far I've learned that I lean more towards a full, rich, clean sound with a decent amount of bass. Clean bass, not muddy and uncontrolled.

The Sundara's and HD 560s for music enjoyment just don't do it for me. I know now that I don't like analytical headphones.

I just want to lay back and feel the music without overthinking things. I want to be wowed. I want goosebumps. I want, I want, I want.... :)

What headphones under 1,000 USD would you guys suggest, given what I've stated above?

Thank you
Well for one the T60Rp’s are not the ones to mod the T50RP’S are the ones for that. Never heard the Harmonicdyne Zues so don’t know but why sell a headphone that you love without a known replacement? I understand selling for a upgrade but it seems like you have no idea which would be a upgrade to them and you say you have little expectations that the T60RP’s will be that so why do it? So don’t know. Well to be wowed is a personal thing and don’t know what you’ve heard before so hard to say.

Apr 14, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 80
Denon AH-D7200. Pretty much the exact sound signature you're describing.

Apr 14, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 80
Have you tried Audeze LCD2-Classic?

Sounds like it might be what you're after sound-wise, and pairs very well with the Asgard3. I get a rich, warm sound from them, with plenty of bass. I don't feel they are of the 'analytical' sort, rather just sit back and enjoy the tunes.

I've been really happy with mine, and while you can always dream of the next purchase, I think I'd have to spend at least 2-3x more to get a worthwhile improvement.
This is the confirmation I was looking for. I purposely left out that I had an order for a set of LCD-2c and canceled it just a few days ago. Seems like I'm on the right track. Thank you for your suggestion.

Apr 14, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 80
Well for one the T60Rp’s are not the ones to mod the T50RP’S are the ones for that. Never heard the Harmonicdyne Zues so don’t know but why sell a headphone that you love without a known replacement? I understand selling for a upgrade but it seems like you have no idea which would be a upgrade to them and you say you have little expectations that the T60RP’s will be that so why do it? So don’t know. Well to be wowed is a personal thing and don’t know what you’ve heard before so hard to say.
I sold them to fund the LCD-2C's which I chickened out on. The Zeus's were were the type of sound I'm looking for. Immersive and luscious but there seemed to be something missing.

I found out more about the T60RP's after I had already placed the order. It was an honest mistake but I'll make the best of it.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 80
The T60’s aren’t bad at all. I would definitely give them a week or so to get used to the different sound signature before I decided. Then you will also have another point of view of what you like and don’t. Very hard to choose unless you’ve heard it.

Apr 14, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 80
The T60’s aren’t bad at all. I would definitely give them a week or so to get used to the different sound signature before I decided. Then you will also have another point of view of what you like and don’t. Very hard to choose unless you’ve heard it.
Absolutely on point. Listened the Sundara's for a complete month before I returned them last minute. They really helped me figure out the sound signature I was looking for.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #10 of 80
Absolutely on point. Listened the Sundara's for a complete month before I returned them last minute. Really helped me figure out the sound signature I was looking for.
So what is the signature you are looking for ?

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 80
Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #12 of 80

Audeze LCD-2 Classic

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #13 of 80
I think the LCD-2C is what you are looking for. BUT if the seller has new stock, in stock, lol, you might get the new cell foam pads. Don't really know how much they change the sound on the 2C but my LCD-Xs sound like a very different headphone, alongside the old one sooo do some research on that

Apr 15, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #14 of 80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back