Can't Feel the Music...
Apr 15, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #16 of 80
I also recommend the LCD-2 classics. I love them.

Apr 16, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #17 of 80
So what is the signature you are looking for ?
I thought I answered this question in a previous post but just now I realized what I'm actually looking for.

Today I received the T60RP. Very interesting sound signature. I've had these things on my head for the past 3 hours going through my playlist. I'll have more feedback on the T60RPs after some quality time with them this weekend.

Going though my playlist I realized what my previous headphones were all missing. While listening to Daft Punk - Pentatonix,

I suddenly realized that I've been searching for a powered monitor w/ 10" subwoofer experience in my headphones. That full sound that fills up the room and your soul.

Desktop setup:
Klipsch R-15PM (on the desk)
Klipsch R-10SW (under the desk)

In conclusion, I'm trying to recreate that joy of cranking up the tunes and have the kids jump up and down listening and dancing to the music. Truly feeling and enjoying the moment. LCD-2C's will be here on Monday. I'm really hoping they will meet my expectations.

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread. You guys/gals have really helped figure things out so far.

20210416_155440.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #18 of 80
I suddenly realized that I've been searching for a powered monitor w/ 10" subwoofer experience in my headphones. That full sound that fills up the room and your soul.

You're gonna need to lower your expectations for something completely different ie if you mean "feel the music" as it "fills the room" you can't even "feel the music" in headphones in a literal sense. They're right outside your ears - there's not gonna be the kick in the chest sound you can feel from good speaker systems because you really can't just override physics.

Headphones are a matter of convenience. I've had my HD600 since 2010, done some tweaks on it to polish it up but I don't really expect nor any headphone that costs more than it does to get me anywhere to the imaging and that "feel the music" experience on say a Stradivari Homage or Contour S5.4 or the Focal+Vifa+Polk Audio+Digital Designs+Pioneer Premier system in my car.

Apr 17, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #19 of 80
You're gonna need to lower your expectations for something completely different ie if you mean "feel the music" as it "fills the room" you can't even "feel the music" in headphones in a literal sense. They're right outside your ears - there's not gonna be the kick in the chest sound you can feel from good speaker systems because you really can't just override physics.

Headphones are a matter of convenience. I've had my HD600 since 2010, done some tweaks on it to polish it up but I don't really expect nor any headphone that costs more than it does to get me anywhere to the imaging and that "feel the music" experience on say a Stradivari Homage or Contour S5.4 or the Focal+Vifa+Polk Audio+Digital Designs+Pioneer Premier system in my car.
I agree. After a little more research I've come to the same conclusion. I also have a decent system in my car. Tuned for EDM and really it gets the blood flowing. Lets see what the LC-2Cs bring to the table this Monday. I'm very curious.

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #20 of 80
I only want Gloryhammer Hootsforce to physically transport me into another dimension, like my comparatively cheaper book shelf speakers do. Is that too much to ask out of a high end headphone?.......

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #21 of 80
Headphones and one of those seat-shaker things maybe? :wink:

To be fair, I understand the pain... But what I wish I could reproduce is a bit more substantial...

(Not in frame: the 12" subs in the bottom of both cabinets, or the 800+ wpc driving them... Cause they're 5 feet away pointed right at my ears.)

Attachments

• 20210319_184639_HDR.jpg
    20210319_184639_HDR.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 19, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #22 of 80
Headphones and one of those seat-shaker things maybe? :wink:

To be fair, I understand the pain... But what I wish I could reproduce is a bit more substantial...

(Not in frame: the 12" subs in the bottom of both cabinets, or the 800+ wpc driving them... Cause they're 5 feet away pointed right at my ears.)
Holey Moley!!!

Apr 19, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #23 of 80
So I picked up a sound meter to make sure I'm not going bonkers with my listening levels. Yeah, 90db out of the desktop speakers is a little loud but really fills the room and I never listen for more than 10 min at a time maybe once a every few months. 90db is quite loud in my house so it isn't my normal listening level. After some testing, I've noticed that my normal listening level of speakers is around 70db and headphone level around 80db max. I'm really glad I picked up this sound meter thingy. Really puts things into perspective since I don't have plans on going deaf anytime soon.

Apr 19, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #24 of 80
LCD-2C's get here tomorrow. I feel like a gitty school girl.

So far the T60RP's have been a big hit. Sure, it sounds like I have a 30 ft wide trash can over my head but dang, much better than any reference I've tested so far. The T60RP feels like its holding back on the Asgard 3. Sometimes I feel like half the song is missing from tracks I've been listening to for the past 30 years. Maybe some EQ will do them good but I don't know how to EQ yet.

Hey, at least I'm having fun exploring.

Apr 19, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #25 of 80
yes, I talk to myself often :wink:

Apr 19, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #26 of 80
I'm not an audiophile. Just a regular Joe trying to figure things out.

I've been using a pair of Senn HD 598SE for gaming and music listening for about 5 years now. Being recently retired, a few months ago I decided to go on journey to find the best set of headphones that I can afford for music listening. Mostly EDM, Jazz, and Classical. Not really into vocals.

Previous setup:
Modi 3+, Magni 3+
Hifiman Sundara
Harmonicdyne Zeus

-Hated the Sundara's for music listening. Maynard Furguson nearly blew a hole in my ear drum. Way too piercing for my taste.
-Loved the Zeus but sold them to fund my next purchase. Already miss them.
-Returned the Modi 3+, Magni 3+ stack for an Asgard 3 with DAC.

Current setup:
Asgard 3 with integrated DAC
Senn HD 560s

-Hate the 560s for music listening.
-Senn HD 560s are great for gaming paired with a wireless Modmic. Keeping them.
-Ordered a pair of Fostex T60RP's to try them out and have some modding and experimentation fun. Expectations are not very high after reading the T60RP threads here.

So far I've learned that I lean more towards a full, rich, clean sound with a decent amount of bass. Clean bass, not muddy and uncontrolled.

The Sundara's and HD 560s for music enjoyment just don't do it for me. I know now that I don't like analytical headphones.

I just want to lay back and feel the music without overthinking things. I want to be wowed. I want goosebumps. I want, I want, I want.... :)

What headphones under 1,000 USD would you guys suggest, given what I've stated above?

Thank you
You want a Focal Clear OG. You can get one at Headphones.com for $990.

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #27 of 80
You want a Focal Clear OG. You can get one at Headphones.com for $990.

808 in da house! Left Ewa Beach in 2018. Spent most of my life on Oahu. Miss it dearly.

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll look into it.

Attachments

• 1618891671176.png
    1618891671176.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #28 of 80
808 in da house! Left Ewa Beach in 2018. Spent most of my life on Oahu. Miss it dearly.

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll look into it.

Aloha Max. I am a big Pentatonix fan. Saw them in Honolulu a few years ago. I live in Kahala. I have that very Daft Punk track in several playlists. Miss Avi since he left the group. I am also a big Maynard Ferguson fan. Listening to a play list right now as I type this message. I have a Hifiman Ananda. I love them as they have great tuning, detail and separation. What they don't have is great bass response. No punch and slam whatsoever. What you are missing is dynamic driver bass. This is why I say try the Focal Clears. These headphones have great tuning and not much beats them in the punch and slam department.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #29 of 80
I think the Denon AH-D7200 is your end game. There's someone selling a pair for $400 (450?) now in the classifieds. I paid $600 and that was a deal. Buy them.

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #30 of 80

HiFiHawaii808:​

Last concert I went to was Air Supply at the Blaisdell Arena, epic concert.

Avi made that group, in my opinion. Just tied them together wonderfully. Brought balance to the force that was the original Pentatonix.

Been a Maynard fan since I started playing trumpet at 13. Been listening to the same tracks for almost 30 years now on lower quality headphones. Sundara's just didn't do if for me, way too painful on my ears.

Lived mostly in Pearl City, but moved to Ewa my last few years then once I could finally afford a house, lol.

Funny thing, I was quite happy with my HD 598s dynamic drivers but wanted to explore this whole planar tech. Now I've gone down the rabbit hole. Money isn't really a limiting factor for me at the moment but not gonna spend 6k on Susvara's if when I'm still trying to figure things out. I just want to try everything based on smart recommendations then decide from experiences.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back