CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #781 of 955
Apr 4, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #782 of 955
  Is anyone still working on their impressions?  We're thinking of wrapping up the "Post-Your-Impresions" contest soon... maybe at the end of this weekend (11:59p Pacific on Sunday the 5th).  If anyone needs more time, please lemme know!  
smile.gif

I have just a simple question. Are we entered automatically into the contest as long as we post some impressions here? I ask because I just noticed all of the head-fi'ers who have the SoCal CanJam little logo in the left-hand corner. I must have accidentally not notified the right people or something in getting that little logo, because I did go and of course I post on Head-Fi.
biggrin.gif

I can give you my information, if you need it, to prove that I actually went to CanJam. (Or pictures perhaps, but they're not that great quality hence why I didn't post them up on here?)

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #783 of 955
First and foremost, thank you to all the organizers and volunteers for their hard work to put CanJam 2015 together.  Having attended my first meet back in 2007 at / near LAX, it's been awesome to see how this hobby has grown / evolved with new vendors and technology.   

Looking forward, I humbly submit that the vendors and organizers of CanJam 2016 need to be more ambitious next year in scale and demo rooms.  Granted, this year's event was much larger than last year's at the Westin -- more rooms, upstairs speaker focused rooms, member meeting room, and the outdoor tent.  But IMO even that wasn't enough given the traffic, human density, and consequent background din.  We headphone geeks are a social lot, and we like to gab just as much as zone out in our own private audio space.

The "THE Audio Show", held next month in Irvine is an example of the other extreme -- one vendor per room, multiple floors, conference rooms, etc.  It's an ideal one-to-one experience, but more necessitated due to each vendors' speaker demos.  Obviously there's commensurate cost, as every room is no doubt shouldered by each respective vendor to keep the overall attendee cost under $20 / day.  

We're not at that point yet, but approaching it in a non-linear uptick I'd say.  As technology and performance have improved, gear prices have launched in the past few years, and so each purchase is a very serious research / demo undertaking.  If I'm considering a multi-thousand dollar purchase for one headphone or one DAC or one amp, I want to spend abundant time with each component, and I would have loved to have had a more intimate, calmer setting for the demos.

But again, no complaints in any way, only appreciation for everyone's hard work.  Just that vendors need to recognize that Head-fi has clearly broken through "hobby" status into considerable big business, and they need to offer serious focused demo opportunities if they're going to charge serious $$$ for their wares.    

Quick equipment impressions:

Chord - Hugo TT - I own a Hugo, and the TT sounded fantastic as expected, more punchy, more forward midrange.  But a non-starter for me at $5k.

Mr. Speakers Ether - amazing.  I kept going back and forth with my HD800 and preferring the Ether with different amps.  I kept thinking how technology has certainly evolved.

Centrance Skyn - sounded a lot better than I was expecting, given its size and price point.  I own the M8, and the Skyn sounds livelier, more musical, with just as much power.

Echobox - playing streaming Tidal, it sounded way way better than my LG G3.  Hope they get the pricepoint right. 

Cavalli - what more can be said?  incredible gear, both the Crimson and the Gold match so well with my HD800 and the Ether.

Rag / Yggy - runs hot as hell, sounds great, irritating tick tick volume pot but once you get it locked in, that issue is pretty much moot.

Hifiman HE1000 - sounded really really good, but as with the TT, it's too out $$ there for me to consider.  

Abyss powered by Moon Neo 430HA - whoa, pretty great sounding, deep bass, but again with head shaking pricepoints

Auralic Taurus & Headamp GSX-MkII - both still sound stellar, just not as FOTM sexy as a year ago.  Similarly the Senn HDVD800 amp, sounds fine, great WITH Senn cans.  Otherwise just ok with my LCD-X, and as such, way overpriced.

Enigma Dharma and glass amp - sounded good, would like a much longer listen with the final product.  

We're in amazing times, technology and AQ wise.  I just hope it's not a bubble with untenable pricepoints that'll drive people away.  

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #784 of 955

Is anyone still working on their impressions?  We're thinking of wrapping up the "Post-Your-Impresions" contest soon... maybe at the end of this weekend (11:59p Pacific on Sunday the 5th).  If anyone needs more time, please lemme know!  
smile.gif

I have just a simple question. Are we entered automatically into the contest as long as we post some impressions here?

Yup!  
smile.gif

I ask because I just noticed all of the head-fi'ers who have the SoCal CanJam little logo in the left-hand corner. I must have accidentally not notified the right people or something in getting that little logo, because I did go and of course I post on Head-Fi. 
biggrin.gif

I can give you my information, if you need it, to prove that I actually went to CanJam. (Or pictures perhaps, but they're not that great quality hence why I didn't post them up on here?)

No need, lol, Badge awarded!  
smile.gif

Looking forward, I humbly submit that the vendors and organizers of CanJam 2016 need to be more ambitious next year in scale and demo rooms.

Already on it!  
smile.gif

We're in amazing times, technology and AQ wise.  I just hope it's not a bubble with untenable pricepoints that'll drive people away.  

With the Cavalli Liquid Carbon floating between $500 and $700, I think we're in pretty good shape.  
smile.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #786 of 955
I would love to have heard that conversation! Fang's products are amazing. His HE-560 is fantastic for someone like me who attends Symphony. Closest reproduction I've found. I can't wait to hear the HE-1000!
Very cool!  I have to tell you that Sunday planar magnetic panel where only Fang showed up was the highlight of the show for me.  What could have been a disaster turned into one of the most interesting conversations I've ever had with a headphone company CEO. We basically chatted our way through Fangs life and how he got into audio as a youngster. I've known the guy for years, but never heard about his origins. It's an amazing story.

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #787 of 955
Some quick 2015 SoCal CanJam headphone impressions:

HiFiMan HE1000  -  Heard one pair of these and was mildly impressed.  Mids and highs sounded really good and the bass went down very low but for whatever reason, the bass sounded very 'fluttery' and lacked any visceral power.  Also the soundstage was really wide but had little depth.  There has been talk that one of the HE1000's was 'bad' and maybe that's the one I heard.

ENIGMAcoustics Dharma  -  These were still in prototype form but sounded very good.  Not quite the HD 800 killer (yet), which were available to audition side-by-side with the Dharmas.  I couldn't detect the x-over point between their tweeter and bass drivers, so they were very well integrated and their FR was pretty neutral.  Looking forward to hearing the final version of these.

MrSpeakers Ether  -  This was the most chameleon-like of all the headphones I heard, which is a very good thing.  The Ethers were everywhere so I was able to hear them on a few different setups and they sounded very different on each one, ranging from 'pretty good' to 'excellent'.  They were very light but their clamping force wasn't quite strong enough for my somewhat narrow head so their fit wasn't perfect on me, but it wasn't a dealbreaker either.  Compared to the Audeze LCD series (which they compete directly with), the Ethers SQ was extremely competitive and even superior in some respects, but their comfort was significantly better.  Just based on comfort alone, I would take the Ether's over any of the LCD's.  Great job, Dan!

Audeze EL-8 Open-Back  -  Not that impressed.  While not bad, I was really hoping to be blown away by these and I just wasn't.  Great fit and looks, but the sound of one of the earcups would sporadically cut out whenever I would turn my head.  Upon inspection, I noticed that the connectors sit flush on the earcup instead of being recessed, so this might be a pretty serious design flaw for some people.  Their SQ reminded me of a slightly more V-shaped HD 650.  Good but not great.

Audioquest NightHawk  -  Ouch.  These sounded very wrong to me.  Diffuse, dark and muddy.  Amazingly, some people seemed to like them but I am definitely not one of them.  Its a real shame because they look nice, fit nice and are super comfortable.  Unless some drastic SQ changes are made before their release (unlikely), I don't see these doing too well.

Sony MDR-Z7  -  Good but not great.  Very warm and laid back sounding with a somewhat back-of-the-hall soundstage.  Treble was noticeably recessed.  Not my cup of tea but I can see how these could appeal to a listener looking for a nice looking, well designed, really comfortable, mellow sounding headphone.

Sony MDR-R10 (Bass Light version)  -  One of the Headphone Holy Grails.  I finally got to hear one of these unicorns and was pretty impressed.  These sound like an open back headphone even though they are obviously not.  Extremely high resolution with an impressively wide and deep soundstage, their upper treble was on the hot side for me.  But their most glaring flaw was the complete lack of any bass below 70Hz or so.  Nice, but not for me.  Although I am now very curious to hear the Bass Heavy version!

HiFiMan HE-560  -  Now this is more like it!  An overall excellent headphone with terrific bass quality and quantity.  This is a headphone that I could happily live with.

OPPO PM-3  -  Sounded very good but probably not that much better than any of the other really good $400 dynamic driver headphones out there (B&W P7, B&O H6, M&D MH40).  I was hoping for a new level of SQ in the $400 category but I don't think these are quite it.

Focal Spirit One S/ Pro/ Classic  -  I'm lumping these 3 headphones together because as I went to audition the Pro's, its earpads were surprisingly too small to go around my ears (and I have completely average sized ears), so they ended up resting halfway on top of my ears almost like an on-ear headphone would (and I hate on-ear headphones).  So obviously, this was a total dealbreaker for me and I didn't even bother listening to them.  Just FYI.

Sennheiser Momentum 2.0  -  Sounded almost exactly like the original Momentums but now they have larger earcups and are even more comfortable.  Comfort was great.  SQ, not so much.  Too warm and soft sounding for me.  Love the look of them, though.

Master&Dynamic MH40  -  These were excellent.  Right up there SQ-wise with the B&W P7's (my favorite overall $400 'lifestyle' headphone).  The earcups were a little tight but still comfortable.  And the MH40's cable is extremely light, flexible and tangle-free.  A top contender in their price range.

AudioTechnica ATH-MSR7  -  Wow!  These really impressed me.  While they don't have the deepest bass, their mids and treble are excellent and sound more refined than the M50's. These compete directly with the better $300-400 headphones on the market and they are a fantastic value at $250.

OPPO PM-2  -  Saved the best for last (IMHO)! 
I have been on a quest to find an open-back headphone that is at least as good in overall SQ as my HD 650's but that also has the sub-bass power of my ATH-M50's, all for a reasonable price. 
I know I was asking for a lot, and for a long time, I was afraid that they might not exist.  Every good sounding headphone I tried sounded great at low-to-medium SPLs, but they were all brought to their knees whenever I played back tracks with clean, powerful bass at high SPLs.  The bass would either begin to audibly modulate the midrange frequencies or cause the driver to reach its excursion limits and begin to physically (and very audibly) distort.
The only headphones that have passed this test (that I've tried so far, and I've tried most of them) are the HD 800, but they are $1500, and aren't really an option right now.
So it put a huge smile on my face when I was able to play the first track of The Dark Knight OST (which at 3:27 contains significant amounts of subsonic bass) and as I turned the volume up louder and louder, I heard absolutely zero audible distortion while the bass was literally flapping my earlobes!  Plus their fit, finish, comfort and styling are all top notch.

The PM-2 will definitely be my next reference headphone purchase!

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #788 of 955
Thanks for all your great impressions on the different headphones of CanJam. I would like to try out a oppo pm-2 and the he-560.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #789 of 955
Even though I do not need a headphone amp, I wish I had tried the Cavalli Liquid Carbon desktop amp. The rumored price point for an amp of that reported quality is unheard of.

Not that there would have been anything I could relate to, but I never found the Members section or lounge. I was up there and peeked in all the open rooms and all I saw was 2 rooms that had speakers and an empty board room with just a conference table and chairs.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #790 of 955
My Amp impressions from the show:

http://theaudiotraveler.com/2015/04/05/canjam-socal-2015-part-3-amps/

Enjoy!

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #791 of 955
Some quick 2015 SoCal CanJam headphone impressions:

Audioquest NightHawk  -  Ouch.  These sounded very wrong to me.  Diffuse, dark and muddy.  Amazingly, some people seemed to like them but I am definitely not one of them.  Its a real shame because they look nice, fit nice and are super comfortable.  Unless some drastic SQ changes are made before their release (unlikely), I don't see these doing too well.

Interesting. I found them to be very good. Anything but diffuse, dark and muddy. They are among my favorite dynamic driver phones.

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #792 of 955
  Even though I do not need a headphone amp, I wish I had tried the Cavalli Liquid Carbon desktop amp. The rumored price point for an amp of that reported quality is unheard of.

Not that there would have been anything I could relate to, but I never found the Members section or lounge. I was up there and peeked in all the open rooms and all I saw was 2 rooms that had speakers and an empty board room with just a conference table and chairs.

When I looked in the members lounge all it had was a pile of empty Pizza boxes...
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #793 of 955
Quick question about buying during Canjam: say I was interested in the AK240SS, could one pay there and take a unit home?

I don't know what they are going to do for London CanJam but I bought my AK240 directly from them at Axpona last year and at that time they were running a show special of 20% off. BTW, I love this player!!

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 5, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #794 of 955
I don't know what they are going to do for London CanJam but I bought my AK240 directly from them at Axpona last year and at that time they were running a show special of 20% off. BTW, I love this player!!
that would be absolutely perfect if they'd repeat it for the London Canjam.
There's a brick and mortar audio shop here in Brussels that used to be an Astell and Kern dealer. Wanted to audition the AK240/SS and also the uni Layla & Angie. But the ownership changed hands and they no longer deal A&K:frowning2:

If I can either buy stuff directly at Canjam (ciem + dap) or place an order beforehand and come pick up there would honestly be ideal to me. It'd be cheaper for me to travel to London than brace the administrative custom fees and VAT they ask here :cool:

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #795 of 955

The members showcase was on the 2nd floor, not the third.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back