CanJam LA Must-Hear Lists (What's on your list?)
May 9, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by samurai_dota /img/forum/go_quote.gif

samurai_dota, what do these names have in common?

waddragon
aobdragon
Lobster_king

May 9, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #32 of 57
Speaking from recent experience, the R 10's with a synergetic pairing are.....an esoteric experience. Would love to go but I have to "make the donuts" that week.

May 9, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except I didn't know I was leaking anything. I thought it was sorta known. Oh well....wait, don't some people get paid for this sort of thing?
eek.gif

I'd put you on the payroll any day of the week...and double up on Sundays!

May 9, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #35 of 57
As far as headphones go I would love to hear the HD800's, PS1000's and some k1000's. I have never heard an electrostatic system either so that's on the list as well. I'm just afraid of finding something that I can't live without... We'll see what happens.

May 10, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #37 of 57
As far as Can Jam etiquette is concern, since I have never been to one, can someone instruct/advice how does one get to hear some of these hot items listed above (HD800, Ps1000 etc). I assume everyone that goes to this event would want a chance to hear these items. Is it on a first come first serve basis? is there a sign up sheet? a waiting list? how can one compete with 3, 4, 5, 600...or 1k other interested headfiers to listen to these items? What time does the door open and is there an overnite line form somewhere? Is there any policy to ensure order? If I have to wait for hours to get into listen to one item, I'm not going to go through half of that list. Any suggestion please help.

May 10, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #38 of 57
Well. this will be my third CanJam and I would bet there will be some form of lines to audition many of the more popular headphones, headphone amps etc. If you want to buy a piece of equipment on the spot, I believe this is not allowed; however, if you then have access to the internet, you could find the company or product and once you've auditioned it at Canjam; can then place an order for it ASAP. I believe that door will open on Saturday and Sunday around 10 AM ish. I think you will still have plenty of time to audition the headphones etc that you want; as there is an ettiquette among Headfiers and with the sign up roll call being at roughly 90 people, there should not be that much of a rampage to audition the more popular pieces. Doors are open all day long on Saturday and Sunday so you should have enough time and then some to hear what you would like. If you have plans to do something else during Saturday and or Sunday, then you might have a problem in devoting the time you require to auditioning. I hope to see you there. Scottsmrnyc

May 10, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #39 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottsmrnyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... If you want to buy a piece of equipment on the spot, I believe this is not allowed... Scottsmrnyc

Thanks Headroom freak, Jorge from headroom told me that they will have a sale or big discount on all headroom gears at the jam. I'm planning on ordering the new Ultra desktop Dac. So may be you can place order at the jam. Are you sure the door opens at 10:00 am?

May 11, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Headroom freak, Jorge from headroom told me that they will have a sale or big discount on all headroom gears at the jam. I'm planning on ordering the new Ultra desktop Dac. So may be you can place order at the jam. Are you sure the door opens at 10:00 am?

Doors should be open by then, though some members might still be setting up their rigs. Vendors, as far as I know, have the opportunity to set up on Friday evening, so they should be all ready to go.

May 11, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as Can Jam etiquette is concern, since I have never been to one, can someone instruct/advice how does one get to hear some of these hot items listed above (HD800, Ps1000 etc). I assume everyone that goes to this event would want a chance to hear these items.

You don't have to worry about it, because there will be time for everyone to hear whatever gear they want to hear. Most of the popular headphones that have been around for a while will appear in more than one system (so for example, there may be several pairs of R10s and HE90s to listen to if you wander around and find them).

So for the most part, you'll have no problem in terms of getting your chance. Although saying that, there are always a couple of items that are new and everyone wants to hear them (such as the HD800 or the PS-1000). In those cases, it's just a matter of hanging out and waiting for your chance. Most people are quite courteous, so if they know that several other people are waiting, they won't sit there for hours on end jamming out! If they do, just beat them silly. Problem solved.

Quote:

Is it on a first come first serve basis? is there a sign up sheet? a waiting list? how can one compete with 3, 4, 5, 600...or 1k other interested headfiers to listen to these items? What time does the door open and is there an overnite line form somewhere? Is there any policy to ensure order? If I have to wait for hours to get into listen to one item, I'm not going to go through half of that list. Any suggestion please help.

No formal process at all. It's just a big room with a lot of systems set up, and everyone operates at his own pace. If there are one or two items that are obviously in extremely high demand, then perhaps it would be wise for the owner of those items to work out a system to make sure that as many people as possible get a chance to listen. For example, if I had the only pair of HD800s at CanJam, I'd limit the listening time to 10-15 minutes per person, and encourage people to keep it to 5 minutes if they could. But again, it all seems to work out quite well because most people are very courteous of others.

May 11, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #43 of 57
Thanks for the above help.

May 12, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #44 of 57
This is going to be my first meet, and I'll be going with one of my classmates. Can't wait! I want to hear all the really nice phones like everyone else, but also I'm looking to get some tubes for my DV 336se + HD650, and things that I can actually afford. Will I be able to listen to different combinations of tubes for my setup?

May 12, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #45 of 57
That might be a bit of a long shot. People tend to bring one rig or two, and have them optimized for what they think sounds best. There will probably be some extra tubes around, but other than Mikhail, who would bring dozens of tubes and let you try them out, I don't know of anyone who has really done tube rolling at meets. I could be wrong, though, and even if I'm right, there's always a first time.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back