CanJam LA Must-Hear Lists (What's on your list?)
May 7, 2009 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

boomana

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=large]CanJam LA Must-Hear Lists (What's on your list?)
[/size]

Since the CanJam forum is sadly under-visited, I'm starting this thread here in hopes that some of you slackers that live nearby might see this thread, get yourselves up early on the weekend, and find yourselves with all the gear you could possible want to hear, and meet some seriously fun people as well. Since this isn't solely about headphones, mods feel free to move it if you choose.

I've learned that even at smaller meets, it's almost impossible to get to everything you want to listen to, and at last year's CanJam, I missed way too much, though that might not be a bad thing since I ended up with two amazing new rigs (portable and 'stat). Here's my must-hear list for this year's party.

Headphones

Symth Research set-up - Not really about headphones at the end of the day, but I really really need to hear this. I missed it last year as the line was always too long.
HD800s - Sennheiser and HeadRoom are sharing a room. I'm parking myself there first thing in the morning.
PS1000 - yep, gotta try.
Shure SRH840 - if the initial reports by Jude are true, I can see these being perfect for many of my friends who just want a good all-rounder
DT48 - gotta hear for myself
IE8 and maybe other iems - curious about the IE8, but am really looking for some less expensive ones for the gym. I got a pair of Crossroads iems from Uncle Wilson last year that were perfect, but I lost them.

Interested in trying the above out with:

Luxman P1 - I loved this amp with HD600s and 650s. I'm really curious how it will sound with the 800s.
HeadRoom Balanced Ultra Desktop - perfect office, bedside or computer desk rig?
Eddie Current Balancing Act - I've loved this amp the two times I've heard it before....maybe I should just stay away.....eeeek
TTVJ/307A - Amazing amp! Amazing amp! I wonder if Pete will be bringing anything new....hmmmm.
TTVJ FET-A - I didn't spend enough time with this at the last Florida meet. Definitely want to give it another listen.
Audio-gd Compass - hype or as good as people say?
Woo offerings - After loving agile_one's Woo SA6 SE with Senns, I want to check out the HD800s with Jack's amps, though I somehow think I'll have a hard time convincing people I should have my own personal pair of HD800s to walk around with trying amps
Pico Slim - It's 40% smaller than the pico. Gotta say I'm curious.

Sources

HeadRoom Ultra DAC - I'm not in the market for a new source (I shouldn't be in the market for a new anything), so I haven't been paying much attention to all that will be at the meet, but this will be a must. I know nada technically, but others who do are impressed with the Sabre chip and there's supposedly four regulated power supplies internally for the different parts of the DAC and output circuitry, and some supposedly snazzy setting with up the analog output stage. HeadRoom was my introduction to this hobby before I even knew about head-fi, and I continue to like their products.

Reimyo CDP-777 - from 909s personal rig. I've been curious about hearing it since he first starting talking about it. Also hearing that Craig of Eddie Current likes it, as well as everyone I know who has heard it, makes it a must-listen.

Technics RS1500 (heavy mods) > Bottlehead Repro amp > Tape Project tapes - from Ironbut's freaking amazing rig. After hearing this at Al's Fairfax meet, it redefined source first for me. He was running it with a Zana Duex and ATH AD2000s at the time. I was familiar with the headphones and amp already, but it was nothing like the way I heard them once the R2R was added. I'd listen all day again if I could.

Audio-gd offerings - just curious.

Year of the 'stats

I'm set as far as an electrostatic rig goes, so don't know how much time I'm going to spend checking things out, but if last year (or was it the year before? time flies) was the Year of the IEM, I'm thinking this should be the Year of the 'Stats. The amps that have come out, or are coming out, should finally do electrostatic headphones justice. I was clearly sold on the superiority of the Headamp BHSE with O2s over anything I'd heard before. Will Jack Woo be bringing his newest amp? I dunno. I hope so. The GES was already worth listening to. Ray will definitely have the A10 there. Don't know if Rudi is bringing an 'estat amp. Will any members have an Aristeaus/HE90 rig there? SinglePower ES1s or ES2s? This is pretty exciting stuff for me. The 'estat amp I'm most interested in hearing is a work-in-progress amp by DIY hero (one of mine, anyway) Frank Cooter. His dynamic GM70 amp is one of the top 5 amps I've ever heard, and now he's creating a Stax amp using transmitting tubes and output transformers that is, per Frank, a little different than commercial offerings. I'm bringing in my O2MK1s in my suitcase for this amp alone.

Member Rigs

I haven't spent much time looking to see what all will be there, but I'll be spending most of my time listening to member rigs, since most will have optimized them for their headphone(s) of choice. The ones that I won't miss:

909 - I'm already familiar with the Eddie Current HD2 and L3000 goodness, but really want to hear it as a complete rig with the Reimyo.
jp11801 - need to check out the Stacker II most definitely.
Ironbut - a big must.
Voltron - I have no idea what he's bringing this time, but I know it will be worth spending time there.
blubliss - I know what you have, but what are you bringing?
mikeymad - what, from your amazing stash, will be there?
Frank Cooter - new 'stat amp and new dynamic creation....a must

See, already too much, and those are just off the top of my head. Anyway, if you're coming to CanJam, what's on your must-hear list? And if you're not coming, definitely check the impressions threads.

And, people, if responding to this thread, can we keep it about gear as best we can?

May 7, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 57
I really want to hear the HD800 balanced on the headroom balanced ultra desktop and single ended on the luxman
I want to hear the ESP950s on frank's new stat amp
I want to hear the O2s and 4070s on the A10

May 7, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 57
My list (which I'll add to as I think of more):
  1. TTVJ Millett 307A Headphone Amplifier / HD800 combination. Todd has been my roommate at every Head-Fi (Inter)National Meet so far, and last year he asked me to do one thing: To listen to the 307A. I listened to everything in his exhibit room (including the Meridian F80 audiophile "boombox") except the 307A. Doh. He hasn't let me live it down since. Its reputation as one of the best amps available has me wondering what it will do with the HD 800.
  2. HeadRoom Ultra DAC / Balanced Ultra Desktop Amp / HD800 combination. With the ESS Technologies ES9008 DAC as implemented by HeadRoom, I'm expecting great things. As for the Balanced Ultra Desktop Amp, HeadRoom's amps have always had strong synergy with the high-impedance Sennheiser headphones. I want to hear the latest generation flagship HeadRoom with the latest generation flagship Sennheiser.
  3. Lavry DA11. I have one here, but I'm looking forward to seeing if other people at the Meet are as mightily impressed by this DAC as I am. I'm going to bring the one I have here with me to serve as a common source for me as I move around to compare different headphone rigs.
  4. PS Audio PerfectWave DAC (PWD) and PerfectWave Transport (PWT). I was teased by this combo at CES--I arrived at PS Audio's exhibit room while they were working on it, so did not get to hear it. I've only read about it, but what I've read suggests that PS Audio went a little nuts (in a good way) with these pieces. The PWD looks like one of the most interesting pieces of gear I've seen in a while, and, as someone who sold the first generation of PS Audio products as a college student (many moons ago), I admire Paul McGowan's work.
  5. Cary Audio Xciter DAC. I saw it at CES, but didn't get a chance to listen to it through headphones. I've heard nothing but good things about this DAC--and I'm a Cary fan. Moon Audio's Drew Baird can't say enough about its performance at the price, and I trust Drew's ears. It should be fun to compare to the similarly priced Lavry DA11 (see above).
  6. Westone UM3x. I haven't heard this one yet, and am curious to know how it compares to the Westone 3. It looks about as small as a Westone UM2, which is my most low-profile universal-fit IEM (and the only one I feel comfortable laying my head down in while wearing). I'm also interested in hearing the Westone ES3x, if Westone has a universal-fit demo of it there (it is a custom-fit IEM).
  7. JH Audio JH13 Pro. As the guy who designed the UE10 Pro, I'm dying to hear what the designer of it is doing to top it. I'm getting my impressions made within the next few days for my own JH13 Pro. If it's not done by Can Jam, then hearing a universal-fit demo of it at the show will be my first shot at it.
  8. Electrostatica. Ray Samuels Audio A-10 / HE90 combination--I heard it at the recent Detroit Mini-Meet, and was floored, and so I want more time with it. If HeadAmp has its Blue Hawaii SE Electrostatic Headphone Amp, you'll find me sitting at the HeadAmp table for that one, too. grawk had is Koss ESP950 at last year's Can Jam, and I couldn't believe I was listening to such high-end from Koss--if he brings it again, I'll listen to it again.
  9. I'll edit this list with more stuff I want to hear at Can Jam later.

May 7, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  1. JH Audio JH13 Pro. As the guy who designed the UE10 Pro, I'm dying to hear what the designer of it is doing to top it. I'm getting my impressions made within the next few days for my own JH13 Pro. If it's not done by Can Jam, then hearing a universal-fit demo of it at the show will be my first shot at it.

I shouldn't be excited about these. Definitely should not. Should not listen at all. Should stay away at all cost. Must not hear. Should not get near the table. Should run the other direction......[size=xx-small]uh oh[/size]

Jude, definitely check out the Koss ESP950 with the all the good 'stats amps that will be available. I think these are maybe the most under-rated headphones around, but mostly because they've not been heard properly powered.

...and you just added to my list....why did I have to book a return ticket for noon on Sunday?

May 7, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eric will have two 48's on display Boomana. I expect no line.

Cool, and I finally get to meet Uncle Erik. Even better.

May 7, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 57
I really wish I could attend but I'm so busy with work right now I can't tear myself away for a few days plus the travel. I'm still looking for the best headphone for jazz that I can find and would love a chance to hear a Stax setup. Kinda hard to throw down 2 to 4 grand for a setup you haven't heard before.

Maybe a future CanJam will come to Boston or New York. One can always hope.

--Jerome

May 7, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 57
A past one was in ny, it'll be a while
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #11 of 57
Jerome,

You should definitely make to one of the meets in NYC or DC. I know some of the 'stat rigs there and you won't be disappointed. Great Jazz headphones.

Just caught this update on member rigs for blubliss and mikeymad. I knew they'd be bringing good things, but I didn't expect the whole stash. I've spent some decent time comparing MK1s and MK2s before, but have never heard the SR-Omegas. Definitely on my must-hear list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blubliss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones:
L3000
R10
HE90
O2 MK1
SR-Omega

Amp:
SP SDS-XLR
or
SP ES-2

Source:
APL NWO 3.0 SE with modded squeezebox inside

Other:
ExactPower EP15a
Synergisitic Active-Shield Cables

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Source:
Marantz SA-7S1

Amp:
WooAudio WA5 (Maxxed)

Headphones:
AT L3000
AKG K1000
STAX O2 Mk1

Power:
Panamax 5500

+ some cables.

(May bring ES1, but seems that the ES2's are in the house).

Cheers,

May 7, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 57
This is going to be a scary good event, top of my list in no order is

Senn 800 balanced!!, loved these at CES and can't wait to get another listen to them
Smyth Audio's surround unit, has to be heard/experienced to be believed, altered my perception of what is possible with headphones
Woo Audio's new Stat amp never met a Woo amp I did not like and I predict this one will be a huge hit
Eddie Current Balancing Act, Craig's all out pursuit at SOTA amp design
TTVJ 307a amp, this amp does it all from IEMs to k1000s, single ended and balanced the amp you'll be buried with
Frank Cooter's amps, Frank could sell tickets to his table his sound is that good
Ironbutt's rigs, another table that I'd gladly buy a ticket to, he could give lessions on how to assemble a great sounding rig
New IEMs from JH audio, a legend has returned!!
Grado PS1000s, loved the PS1s and want to fall in love all over again
Steveo ranting and whining, while an aquired taste I miss the little guy

May 8, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #13 of 57
I won't be there, but I really wanna hear:
Headphone:
Planar Magnetic Headphone - the world debut of a new planar magnetic headphone (Isodynamic design). I hope to see some impressions and photo's of these !!
ksc75smile.gif

May 8, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #14 of 57
Pretty much what everyone else has said so far. Between boomana and jude, most of the bases I want to touch on have been listed.

I also want to hear the sound of the collective gasp in the main room when people see my table with 26 pairs of HD800s available for sale at extremely reasonable prices!

Ok, so I'm just kidding about that...

May 8, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #15 of 57
I want to hear everything!!! I have never been to a meet and their so many items that I want to listen to. Specifically, the HD800 (my first priority), a bunch of Stax and HE90, the Smyth surround unit, JH13, lots of amps, etc.

One thing I'm really hyped about is the new Sonicweld Decoder that Cryoparts will be debuting and from what I've been told, this will be a major highlight of the show which everyone should check out. It is a reference quality DAC/Preamp/SE and Balanced Headphone amp all-in-one. I can't wait to hear it. If it winds up being as good as I think it will, my DAC and amp will be immediately up for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back