Can you tell lossless from lossy with your portable setup?
Feb 16, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #106 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, please post your findings -- on the Sound Science forum.

Now who's haranguing?
biggrin.gif

This is like the fourth time you've let us know what 'should be' in this thread. If a (real) moderator has a problem I'm sure he'll make it known.

Feb 16, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #107 of 147
Best idea is to get the cheapest possible gear because some people can't tell the difference or followed advice they couldn't afford out here and got frustrated and upset at the results. Why spend extra money on audio gear anyway, it all sounds the same, right?

You need that room on the 120g ipod to store more songs at 128 so you can have tens of thousands more to hear and choose from. You would have to sacrifice maybe 10,000 songs and for what, only the possibility of good audio if you really listen hard. I mean who in their right mind would even bother.

Okay, in all seriousness, the best advise is to save you money if you have a hesitation that it is anything more than icing on the cake or just a fun hobby to mess around with. Otherwise you may end up with a chip on your shoulder and a crank trying to tear down our silly fun out here.
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #109 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is like the fourth time you've let us know what 'should be' in this thread.

Because you keep trying to get back into DBT's, because you're determined to advance your agenda on this forum notwithstanding the rules, and notwithstanding that they've set up another sub-forum for precisely what you want to discuss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If a (real) moderator has a problem I'm sure he'll make it known.

Well, they get busy and they can't be everywhere. But I'll report the post and leave it up to them.

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #110 of 147
I tried 5 formats.

1 - ALAC
2 - 320
3 - 256 VBR
4 - 128 VBR
5 - MP3

I can tell from ALAC and MP3 but it got a bit trickier between 320 and VBR. I couldn't tell the difference other than the size of the files. Now from ALAC, 320 and VBR, that was harder. Very subtle differences off my iTouch.

I have JVC Marshmallows for now but I'll be getting some Grados and some other cans soon. Maybe next week. If I don't find a difference between those sounds, then I'll probably stick with the 320 or 256 VBR.

Sorry, but I can't tell between the lossless formats. At least MP3 and ALAC I can tell the difference.

tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #111 of 147
'MP3' by itself doesn't really say anything... what was the bitrate?
I assume then that the 320/256/128 files used where AAC? AAC is not lossless

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #112 of 147
I may be flattering myself by thinking I can hear a difference, but to me that's not the point. Lossy compression as a concept just bothers me. It seems like a parlor trick; "look ma, I can throw away 75% of a file and it still sounds O.K.! Neat, huh?"

On the other hand, I have an eMusic account, and their files are all VBR. They sound pretty good, and at $0.25 per track, it's an acceptable deal. But I am watching with interest the growth of merchants, like HDTracks, that offer lossless or even uncompressed files. HDTracks offers both AIFF and FLAC. I certainly hope that is the wave of the future.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #113 of 147
anything lower than 320 , i can pick up the difference.

however between 320 and loseless , not much difference for me. perhaps my ears not that sensitive to that level.

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #114 of 147
I can't tell, but A) I've got 80 gigs of space on my iPod and B) I certainly don't want to re-encode everything.
biggrin.gif
So lossless for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #115 of 147
i feel sorry for the folks that can tell the difference btw high bitrate lossy and lossless files on their DAPs, and i'm not not even mentioning home gear! lol.

that's alot more money needed to get your sound quality!

i cant tell the difference between -v0 LAME mp3 and lossless. i cant tell the difference btw -v2 and lossless. i probably cant even tell btw -v5 and lossless for all i know.

i have lossless on my DAP cuz i dont wanna bother re-encoding it to MP3. lmao. wasted space on my clip =(

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #116 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have lossless on my DAP cuz i dont wanna bother re-encoding it to MP3. lmao. wasted space on my clip =(

Convert it to Vorbis then
smily_headphones1.gif

I find ~160k - ~170k Vorbis = 320k mp3.
Vorbis = true VBR unlike mp3.
Transparency with Vorbis is supposedly at ~192k but I still have mine at ~256k Vorbis.

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #119 of 147
Just got some songs that I know very well set up in apple lossless.

Ipod 5g > ALO jumbo cryo > fiio e5 > ksc75

It sounds better than it used to. It is hard to describe. Just sounds more full, and natural. Also hurts my ears less. If the music were cloth it would be smooth, and non abrasive. It just sounds damn good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #120 of 147
under 320kbs i can hear a difference

as to 320 vs. lossless, i may just be crazy but I think I do hear a difference, not really in quality, but i think mp3 sounds.....warmer, whereas lossless sounds more neutral. *shrugs*

zune > 4" vampire copper, neutrik plugs > fiio e5 > yuin pk1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back