Can you tell lossless from lossy with your portable setup?
Feb 15, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #76 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But fortunately for us groundless, unsubstantiated claims are allowed anywhere.
biggrin.gif

No, it's your claims that are unsubstantiated.

Are not.

Are too.

Are not.

Are too.

Shall we continue.
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: Seriously, we could continue the argument forever. But the simple fact is, there are points to be made on both sides. You're not 100% right or infallible, and neither is your position, and the same applies to the position I or others espouse to the contrary. But this forum has set up a rule to confine such discussions to a certain place. That means comments or arguments you don't like can be made all over Head-Fi, and the response you want to give can only be discussed in detail on one part of the forum. If you don't like that, talk to the moderators or go to another forum that lets you advance your arguments with no restrictions.
happy_face1.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #77 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think that we all can reach the logical conclusion that if one have alot of storage space, why mind using the best possible format?? if you dont have the space than it's a different story, go for lossy then, but otherwise...why compromise? it doesn't cost money!
IMO, it really doesn't matter if one can hear the difference or not, the importance is that there IS a difference.

But the problem is you're using logic to reach a conclusion that's right for you, and not accepting the conclusions that certain folks want you to reach. That's not acceptable to them. Therefore, they will continue proselytizing until everyone gets bored or this thread gets shut down. Until you admit that you're wrong and they're right, they won't be satisfied. (See my signature.)
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #81 of 147
My friends can't tell the difference between earbuds w 128 and full sized out of a dac. So we all are wrong for buying any of this equipment because they can't tell. It's all placebo, and cables! "what did you pay for those," and "Nobody can hear the difference".

Ya know, those who can't hear the difference (consciously or...subconsciously) and don't want to close any sound weak link and are satisfied with shortcuts should definitely take them and save the memory space and the money thats for sure.

Me, i got used $780. Zu interconnects on ebay for alittle over $200. and that is just one leg of my home system, i really didn't even want to try and ABX them, i trust that particular company anyway. I know that when i am listening into the transparency that all adds up to the final pure sound i get. So shortcuts are good for people like my friends who have music in the background but why cut any corners with the equipment and detail that some of even our portable systems out here. Ipod->cryo lod->Lisa lll->choice of headphones, with that much invested i would be insane to cut corners on memory space!

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #83 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can definitely tell lossless from lossy when using interconnects with silver conductors, but it's kind of difficult with copper.

That's interesting. I do find silver to be more revealing generally, but I find that the difference between lossy and lossless can be heard just using the headphone out on a quality player without the need to use a portable amp (and hence no need for interconnects). Although a portable amp is also sometimes more revealing.

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #84 of 147
i guess that this "neverending" argue will never end, at least until somebody will decide to finish lossless ar lossy formats intirely.
it doesnt matter as long as we enjoy are music!

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #85 of 147
i can definately tell when i listen to my portable at home, where in particular it helps show the quality of recordings... but i definately can not tell when i listen on the go (i.e. on the bus, walking, even in the library... i really have to concentrate on listening to hear any difference)

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #86 of 147
oh wait, after reading the rest of this thread, it is abundantly clear to me that i actually can not hear the difference because obviously it is scientifically impossible.

shigzeo, you know me better than i do!
confused_face(1).gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #87 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by limin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i can definately tell when i listen to my portable at home, where in particular it helps show the quality of recordings... but i definately can not tell when i listen on the go (i.e. on the bus, walking, even in the library... i really have to concentrate on listening to hear any difference)

Even though i believe it is worth it to have lossless in my portable and do, I have to agree with this, there are often times when i am out in the environment and not listening carefully/distracted or it is noisy when i cannot tell or wouldn't notice it.

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #89 of 147
heres a fun experiment.

Find an encoder and transfer your favorite album at 24kbps.

Here comes the hard part! grab your most revealing headphones, and listen through the whole album, from start to finish. It doesnt have to be at high volumes, just there.

You will find new love for your system the instant you switch back to the music quality you usually listen at.

On second thought, just enjoy it right now. Lifes too short

Users who are viewing this thread

Back