Can you recommend some in-ear monitors for around $150?
Mar 7, 2013 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Melanter

100+ Head-Fier
Using them from an iPod classic unamped.

Using them on a commute 50/50: walking/tram.

Mostly listen to alternative rock (Chili Peppers, Black Keys), classic rock, rap/hip-hop and a bit of electronica (written in the order of importance).

I like a warm, immersive sound, that is also clear and lets you hear everything going on. 
I like to really feel raunchy guitar riffs and groovy hip-hop beats.

Isolation is imortant but not #1.  I'm interested in the Fischer Audio Eternas style, not the UM1 style.  Not sure the terminology for this difference, but the ones with plastic tips and not foam tips I guess?

Cool looking is definitely a nice bonus!

Overall I prefer a 'fun' sound to an 'analytic' one.

NOOOOOOOO microphonics!

Thanks!

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 5
The Fischer Audio Consonance is another good IEM for the music you listen to.  I'd also say checkout the TDK BA200 which is one of the best under $150 IEM's you can get and it really can compete with ones costing over twice as much.  Lastly the Klipsch X10 is a very good IEM with great bass, warm forward mids and smooth detailed treble with a nice soundstage.

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Using them from an iPod classic unamped.

Using them on a commute 50/50: walking/tram.

Mostly listen to alternative rock (Chili Peppers, Black Keys), classic rock, rap/hip-hop and a bit of electronica (written in the order of importance).

I like a warm, immersive sound, that is also clear and lets you hear everything going on. 
I like to really feel raunchy guitar riffs and groovy hip-hop beats.

Isolation is imortant but not #1.  I'm interested in the Fischer Audio Eternas style, not the UM1 style.  Not sure the terminology for this difference, but the ones with plastic tips and not foam tips I guess?

Cool looking is definitely a nice bonus!

Overall I prefer a 'fun' sound to an 'analytic' one.

NOOOOOOOO microphonics!

Thanks!

Warm, immersive, isolates - IE800s fit the mark. So do the UM2s, and they are even more ergonomic. The tip thing is moot, since any IEM will take different styles of silicon or foam tips. Usually they will include both nowadays. If clarity is important, would definitely take the BA200 (slightly clearer than it's dynamic cousin) or the eQ-5 above the X10s or EPH-100s, even though the latter two are warm and immersive.

Mentioning warmth and the GR07, SM2, and RE262 come to mind as well. While ergonomics suffer on the latter, they don't have much microphonics from memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back