can you help me to decide between ATH-M50X & HD598 ?
Jan 14, 2018 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gaiastar

New Head-Fier
Hi
i have read a lot of good about Audio Technica Pro ATH-M50X , exceptional for what they cost
i haven't tried them but my trusty headphone are broken , long sad story

can you help me to decide between Audio Technica Pro ATH-M50X & Sennheiser HD598 ?
i have taken in consideration AKG K701 too

i listen moslty rock ,recent music like bonobo , thievery corporation and so on and lots of classic like camel , yes ,who
i don't care if the people close to me can hear what i'm listen

can you help me? about Sennheiser HD598 i'm worried only about the build quality

thanks

Jan 14, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 10
The only thing about the M50x is that the bass is rather tubby. I just don't think it is very good. The HD598 on the other hand is fairly balanced in its signature. Not sure what you are referring to as far as build quality goes. Mine is six years old and has been used for hundreds of hours and is still in pristine shape. It has held up quite well-FWIW.
Of the two you list, my preference is for the Sennheiser. It has a more balanced sound, a better soundstage, superior imaging, and is more comfortable, IMO. Just my take and YMMV, of course. One more you might check out is the SoundMAGIC HP151. It is also quite good. It is closed.

Jan 14, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 10
Hi
i have read a lot of good about Audio Technica Pro ATH-M50X , exceptional for what they cost
i haven't tried them but my trusty headphone are broken , long sad story
can you help me to decide between Audio Technica Pro ATH-M50X & Sennheiser HD598 ?
i have taken in consideration AKG K701 too
i listen moslty rock ,recent music like bonobo , thievery corporation and so on and lots of classic like camel , yes ,who
i don't care if the people close to me can hear what i'm listen
can you help me? about Sennheiser HD598 i'm worried only about the build quality
thanks
The ATH-M50X will have more bass (like for a basshead) then the HD598, but i would expect the HD598 to be better sound wise, in all other areas.

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 10
The only thing about the M50x is that the bass is rather tubby. I just don't think it is very good. The HD598 on the other hand is fairly balanced in its signature. Not sure what you are referring to as far as build quality goes. Mine is six years old and has been used for hundreds of hours and is still in pristine shape. It has held up quite well-FWIW.
Of the two you list, my preference is for the Sennheiser. It has a more balanced sound, a better soundstage, superior imaging, and is more comfortable, IMO. Just my take and YMMV, of course. One more you might check out is the SoundMAGIC HP151. It is also quite good. It is closed.
hi
i have read in this forum that the 598 has construction issues or built poor quality
can't find it right now
thanks

The ATH-M50X will have more bass (like for a basshead) then the HD598, but i would expect the HD598 to be better sound wise, in all other areas.
hi
do the ATH-M50X the similar SR80e/SR125e grado bass ?
thank you!

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 10
You intend to use it on the street? M50X. Or do you intend to use it at home? HD 598.
hi
at home , at 90%
on the street , now no anymore sadly
so 598 ?
by the way how do you consider the grado?
thanks

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 10
Jan 16, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 10
There is another headphone you might consider, the NAD Viso HP50, it was made for portable use but they say it has a very wide soundstage for even with its closed design, I suggest you read this analysis from a guy who understands the subject:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50
hi
thanks , i was thinking to buy the HD 598 but i can find only used headphone on amazon in my country
weird , i can find only HD 598 Special Edition or Sr new and both black
thanks

Jan 16, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #10 of 10
My 2 years old HD598 SE (exactly the same to the HD598 on black) works really well and I haven't had any problems with the build quality, for the genres you listen the HD598 excels by far the m50x but... I prefer the akg k7xx, they are pretty cheap on ebay, you should take a look on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back