Can I repair these?
Sep 13, 2010 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

HerrSchnaufer

New Head-Fier
First, the disclaimer: I bought these when I was out in Canada, before I knew any better. 

I'm a fairly heavy user, and as you can see, the Boses' (is that the plural of Bose?) flimsy cables were no match for me. Sound has gone completely from the left cup where the cable has worn away (pictured), and is crackly in the right, where the outer cable has worn away, but there's still a connection.

That being said, I'd still rather they were fixed than simply throw them away. Is there anything I (a complete noob) can do?

I should also add, they were bought about 14 months ago, but Bose products from North America only get a 12 month warranty, rather than the 24 month warranty in Europe.

For the record, they have since been replaced with HD650s :D

Sep 13, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 5
Yes, you can fix them. It looks like the cables detached from the drivers. You'll need to open the cups and use a soldering iron to touch up and reconnect the cables.

If you're not comfortable doing this, start a thread in the DIY Forum asking for someone to do it for you. Several members can do this kind of repair.

I'd recommend fixing them because they will sell on eBay.

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #5 of 5
His advice still stands, the cable just failed a little further away.  If that is the only trouble spot, clip the wire where it snapped.  Then desolder the short piece still attached to the drivers, and solder the wire back on.  I would try adding a zip tie, or other strain relief inside the cup so next time you snag it when standing or w/e it doesn't get yanked loose.  But if the wire just snapped like that it might not help much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back