Can con 3 (Sydney,Australia meet) - Jan 12th 2013 - 9:30am-6:30pm, Epping.
Jan 5, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #136 of 239
Quote:
I see you went major ortho and audio-gd
smily_headphones1.gif
11pm (as in almost midnight?)
what area do you need a lift to, maybe someone can give you a lift?

I live in North Turramurra, about 20 mins or so from the venue I think.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm putting Kingwa's kids through college.  HE-6 is pretty nice except for the treble tilt (which I have fixed with a mod I think) and amplifier requirements.  I wouldn't mind trying some electrostatics, HD800 also.  Maybe when I sell the Ref 7.1
beyersmile.png
  Looking forward to the meet.

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #138 of 239

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm putting Kingwa's kids through college.  HE-6 is pretty nice except for the treble tilt (which I have fixed with a mod I think) and amplifier requirements.  I wouldn't mind trying some electrostatics, HD800 also.  Maybe when I sell the Ref 7.1:beyersmile:   Looking forward to the meet.

well, the amp could probably drive AKG-1000 and some speakers :D,
Electrostatics are nice. I still somewhat miss my SR-507 + Trasistoramp, though the sound was a bit dry for me in the mids (probably an insane comment about stax HP). The SR-009 was a bit bright, but older 007 series/omegas sounded pretty nice.

I wish I could make it for this! Why oh why do I live so far away in Nth QLD!

only $200-300 away :wink:, where's your commitment (hmmm, ok that's a nexus 7 right there :D )? Townsville - up, down, left, right :D ?

Noticed you mentioned Tralucent. If I had the new version of their IEMs in my hands right now I would be mailing it to you for this meet. Love to hear what others think about these IEMs and the T1 amp to go along with. 

not sure why Tralucent pulled out. They didn't give a reason. Maybe busy with CES, maybe on holidays. Maybe because I openly criticized their marketing/pricing [to the point of being banned from that thread :D (for DBT discussions outside of sound sci forums, not flaming :D)] and invited their now direct competitor Rhapsodio who they were formerly affiliated with to the meet via proxy :D

I would've loved to compare Tralucent's 1+2v2 to Rhapsodio's RDB Plus 2BA+DD hybrid (will bring the RDP+ demo unit to the meet/review/let other people review it as well)

I think 1+2v2 is extremely overpriced ($1400, really?) and Tralucent want to recoup all of the R&D/establishment costs now[alternative theory from someone else here :D]/are skimming on the hype and audiophiles and compulsorily bundling cables/claiming sound differences for silver internal wiring or silver cables. I personally don't like any of that a single bit. Didn't even like the pricing for 1+2v1.

Rhapsodio's RDP Plus is a DD + TWFK (2BA + DD) hybrid, and a second iteration product as well, and is priced at less than half of what Tralucent are asking for their hybrid.
Not to mention Swinwoo's T-PEOS H-200 (also their second try at hybrids), VSONIC 7007 and other TWFK + DD based IEMs soon to come out priced at around $300, or things like AS-2 (huge dd + unknown BAs, and some interesting features) and Merlin (2twfk + dd)

Re: 1+2v2 - That said - if you're into that sort of marketing and loved the sound, have a spare 1.5k, by all means.

Jan 5, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #140 of 239
svyr also consider that the new Tralucent 1Plus2 is even overtaking peoples Custom IEMs in regards to overall sonic abilities. I think that is saying a lot. I'm talking JH16, ES5 and also Fit Ear 334 and AKG3003. The reviews will speak for themselves :wink:.

Jan 5, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #141 of 239
svyr also consider that the new Tralucent 1Plus2 is even overtaking peoples Custom IEMs in regards to overall sonic abilities. I think that is saying a lot. I'm talking JH16, ES5 and also Fit Ear 334 and AKG3003. The reviews will speak for themselves :wink:.

Not everyone considers CIEMs special or superior (e.g. see heir audio's musings about that), some people here (incl me) use 'custom universals' for comfort, ease of removal/insertion and flexibility of the ends, not having to remold when ear shape changes, and comparable isolation with various tips/mitigating pressure build-up. For DD + BA it's a lot easier to sell universals since the chamber size/shape might alter the DD response.

let's wait and see how it ends up stacking up against other twfk+DDs that cost far less (and those end up stacking against each other), including non acrylic universals, and for some reviews from the usual CIEM/UIEM reviewers down the line as the 1+2 tour progresses. So far I see a few devoted early adopters :)
as for 'overtaking' - all a matter of perspective. The fit-ear comparison seemed to indicate the two are different flavours and a matter of preference.

Wait and see :D

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #143 of 239
wow, i saw Fostex TH900! 

i think we might end up having 2 of those :D .

I quite liked them, until I found out the RRP was $2k (and I thought RRP D7000 was expensive before :D. Fostex did a 180 on denon as the driver supplier :D)

Lawton understandably jumped up to mod TH-900 making the possibilities even more upmarket (new cups, thumb thick cable):D http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page68.html (you could probably get jmoney pads for them too). Interestingly, lawton no longer seem to redampen the cups/driver with dynomat (markl mods). The prices are left to your imagination :D

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #144 of 239
Quote:
i think we might end up having 2 of those
biggrin.gif
I quite liked them, until I found out the RRP was $2k (and I thought RRP D7000 was expensive before
biggrin.gif
. Fostex did a 180 on denon as the driver supplier
biggrin.gif
)
Lawton understandably jumped up to mod TH-900 making the possibilities even more upmarket (new cups, thumb thick cable)
biggrin.gif
http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page68.html (you could probably get jmoney pads for them too). Interestingly, lawton no longer seem to redampen the cups/driver with dynomat (markl mods). The prices are left to your imagination
biggrin.gif

hmmmm..... i think one major selling point of the TH900 is the red wine paint that comes from some exotic japanese supplier that apparently was founded in the 19th century? :D 

Also update on gears, Little Dot managed to send me their latest asynchronous USB interface (XMOS chip based) today. Looks like they will arrive before the meet, I will bring it along.

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #145 of 239
well, the amp could probably drive AKG-1000 and some speakers :D,
Electrostatics are nice. I still somewhat miss my SR-507 + Trasistoramp, though the sound was a bit dry for me in the mids (probably an insane comment about stax HP). The SR-009 was a bit bright, but older 007 series/omegas sounded pretty nice.

That is one upside, same amp for speakers or HE6 lol. I do love the look of the 007 stax, I will listen closely this meet. The cost is scary though, and I'm still very happy with the HE6 midrange... Also I have my eye set on a new usb transport or computer upgrade to work on the digital side... I can't be helped.

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #146 of 239
hmmmm..... i think one major selling point of the TH900 is the red wine paint that comes from some exotic japanese supplier that apparently was founded in the 19th century? :D 

Awww...c'mon! You can't simplify this 100 yr old art into just "red paint"! It's a technique with lacquer :p!

Anyhow wasn't Oz the place where the TH-900s were sold for something like $1500-1600 last month? Made the rest of the world jealous (except Japan, naturally).

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #147 of 239

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm putting Kingwa's kids through college.  HE-6 is pretty nice except for the treble tilt (which I have fixed with a mod I think) and amplifier requirements.  I wouldn't mind trying some electrostatics, HD800 also.  Maybe when I sell the Ref 7.1:beyersmile:   Looking forward to the meet.

I can give you lift home after the meet. I gotta go return the key at Hornsby anyway. One catch is you would have to wait until I finish cleaning up and check the place before locking up.

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #148 of 239
I can give you lift home after the meet. I gotta go return the key at Hornsby anyway. One catch is you would have to wait until I finish cleaning up and check the place before locking up.

Thanks so much, I would appreciate that greatly! Might need a trailer for these AudioGD cases though lol.

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #149 of 239
Quote:
Awww...c'mon! You can't simplify this 100 yr old art into just "red paint"! It's a technique with lacquer :p!
Anyhow wasn't Oz the place where the TH-900s were sold for something like $1500-1600 last month? Made the rest of the world jealous (except Japan, naturally).

Absolutely the TH900's are amazing to look at that's for sure.... however it's there sound that's most amazing, I'm in love, I can't get them off my head :) looking forward to seeing how they sound on a decent dac/amp

$1500 with free shipping is what I paid, from Nick at audiophile.com.au  he's a nice guy

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #150 of 239
If anyone is planning to attend for the whole day and is driving through Sydney University/Broadway area then please PM me if I can get a lift.
I caught a train for the previous meeting and it was a lot of effort to carry ~20 headphones, bunch of amps and a source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back