Campfire - Solaris
Jul 27, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #11,971 of 12,035
I've heard people say they prefer the OG to the 2020 as well, but I haven't had the pleasure to try the OG.
I haven't tried the new Solaris or Pathfinder, but I'd say for sound, I prefer the: SE > OG > LE = 2020 but the 2020 is the only one I can wear for hours, the rest seem to have a bad angle. I have worn much larger IEMs but the angle of the spout is off on the big Solaris (for me) so I have to wedge them in to be hanging out from the concha or press them in so the spout digs into the ear canal. The 2020 solves the OG problem of only being able to fit either the inner or outer ear.

Jul 27, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #11,972 of 12,035
I have the ADV custom tips for the Solaris (they used my OG to create the master). They make the fit of the SE and OG more comfortable. I can were either for 8+ hours with no discomfort. This was a god send when I was in the hospital for 12 days.

The only downside to these custom tips is that the Solaris sticks out a bit and is not flush.

Jul 27, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #11,973 of 12,035
I have the ADV custom tips for the Solaris (they used my OG to create the master). They make the fit of the SE and OG more comfortable. I can were either for 8+ hours with no discomfort. This was a god send when I was in the hospital for 12 days.

The only downside to these custom tips is that the Solaris sticks out a bit and is not flush.
I have a couple of pairs as well , for Solaris and Andromeda, and love them, though they change the tuning a bit (as you would expect from something like this) so there’s that to keep in mind!

Jul 27, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #11,974 of 12,035
I bought the Solaris 2020 and had the older ones but sold to a friend as the size was a deal breaker as I couldn’t get a good fit along with I felt the 2020 sounded better, most likely due to a better seal fit. I planned on selling 1 or 2 Campfire Audio IEMs as I don’t listen to most of what I have to my Focal Clear Mg. I‘ve been torn between the Solaris 2020 and my beloved Andromeda Golds, I’m planning on keeping my Solaris 2020. As to the pink salmon vs black inset I checked mine and they’re black and sound great, bought mine from headphones.com as they’re an authorized dealer for Campfire Audio. I generally only buy from Bloom Audio or Headphones.com due to making sure I don’t get knockoffs.

I will post pics of my 2020’s.
Here's three photos I took just now of my Campfire Audio Solaris 2020, @KB would be able to settle the salmon pink vs black inserts. I tried to get as close of a focus on the insert. Even the port hold near the MMCX connector and gold screw is black on mine and salmon pink on yours that's part of the insert.

Attachments

• double-solaris.jpg
    double-solaris.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 0
  • solaris-two.jpg
    solaris-two.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 0
  • solo-solaris.jpg
    solo-solaris.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #11,975 of 12,035
I just picked up a second pair of Solaris 2020s for office use and I noticed that they sound and look different from the one directly from Campfire.

The TAC insert is a salmon pink instead of black and they honestly do not sound good. Has anyone else seen one of these versions? The machining lines are almost identical between my known good sample (the one with the cable and the Final tip) and the ones with the pink chamber but there is notable difference in sound. Should I send them to CA for repair? I don't have a reason to doubt the seller who got these from head fi, we're both interested in answers.
AFAIK CA hasn’t had that kind of nozzle material / color since early andromeda days, but this specific spout shape I’ve never seen in the satin dull aluminum look that is seen here. This type of spout I’ve only seen with the shiny polished chrome look like your original pair has. I’ve always wondered what the “Authentic Headphones” seller sold on Aliexpress and I’m sorry you ended up with a pair.

Jul 28, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #11,976 of 12,035
I know CA IEMs are popular in the Asian market and I started to wonder if these pair you have are prototypes and ended up in the used Asian market at some point; never seen in US market. would explain the pink inserts and nozzle finish.

Jul 28, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #11,977 of 12,035
I know CA IEMs are popular in the Asian market and I started to wonder if these pair you have are prototypes and ended up in the used Asian market at some point; never seen in US market. would explain the pink inserts and nozzle finish.
I think the AliExpress link from earlier proves it’s an imitation. Since CA assembles their IEMs in Portland, they might be having just the physical shells made in China where it is all too simple for the factory to run off another few and fill them with some random transducer. It would explain how those faking them would be able to match the gcode for a highly faceted shell without matching the sound at all.

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #11,978 of 12,035
I have owned the Solaris SE & OG, demoed the Stellar Horizon and 2020 and have not heard the LE or the Pathfinder. For me the OG has the best treble and the SE has the best bass, mids and overall technical chops of all the Solari that I've heard. The SE is probably my favorite overall but for me the perfect Solaris-- even in light of the Stellar Horizon-- has not been made yet.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #11,979 of 12,035
I've heard Solaris once and they were awesome, so it's time to read about Pathfinder now and see what others have to say. Thanks :)
Would be my pleasure to send them your way, they scale a lot with source :)

Off dongles they are a bit bright. Off DAP's with more headroom and power, the highs are reeled in a bit and the bass really becomes epic.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 2, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #11,980 of 12,035
I think the AliExpress link from earlier proves it’s an imitation. Since CA assembles their IEMs in Portland, they might be having just the physical shells made in China where it is all too simple for the factory to run off another few and fill them with some random transducer. It would explain how those faking them would be able to match the gcode for a highly faceted shell without matching the sound at all.
Here are graphs of the Solaris 2020 v the AliExpress imitation. They sound nothing alike, but I didn't bother with recording a sound sample because they aren't nearly representative as a graph.

Didn't think I would be reviewing a fake Solaris 2020 but there is a cavernous midrange scoop, wildly spiky response, no detail or sparkle. It's like the worst KZ you can imagine.

1690956474159.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #11,982 of 12,035
I would adore a Solaris 2020 sized shell with the exact tuning and faceplate of the SE. Although, the current trend of Campfire doubling the price of their product line makes me question the affordability of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back