Campfire - Solaris
Sep 14, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #10,081 of 12,035
E02 has a wider sound . But I like the bass and mids more with T01 with Solaris pair up :)

I haven’t heard the T01 but the bass and mid texture is just where I want it with the E02...I may grab a T01 out of curiosity one day though.

Sep 14, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #10,083 of 12,035
I haven’t heard the T01 but the bass and mid texture is just where I want it with the E02...I may grab a T01 out of curiosity one day though.
like @cr3ativ3 , The only module N6ii that stuck in my head is T01...
somehow show OG can be all rounder that have warm ish yet still detail...
NOICE

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #10,084 of 12,035
Solaris (2020) are a bit too neutral and light sounding for my taste with dx220+amp 1 mkii. Not a bad pairing per se, just for my personal preference Solaris 2020 benefits from a bit a warm and body, especially in low end. I’m pretty sure many would like solaris with dx220 amp 1 though.
Amp 8 may be a better pairing but I don’t have it.

Amp 8 all the way. Once you hear it with the Amp 8, the default amp is unlistenable!

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #10,085 of 12,035
Has anyone tried the Dunu Hulk cable with Solaris? Those interchangeable connectors seems like they'd be great with something like the iBasso or Cayin systems with interchangeable amps with different jacks.

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #10,086 of 12,035
Amp 8 all the way. Once you hear it with the Amp 8, the default amp is unlistenable!
I have mine paired with an Amp7 and the DHC clone fusion. I would personally never use the words neutral and light to describe the sound sig. warm side of balanced in my opinion, with very good low end presence (and my benchmark for low end is the LX SE if that helps calibrate).

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #10,087 of 12,035
So... I'm really curious about buying either an Andromeda or Solaris in late November, and I'm 100% willing to road trip up to Portland from Santa Cruz to audition them at ALO. I seem to gravitate towards hybrids or DD IEMs, which is why the Solaris has me thinking. At the moment, I'm cycling between EX-1000s, Z5s, Z1Rs, IE800, and Blessing 2s. I've also got some UE 11 Pros (which I hate), SE535s, and some Westones (UM30?). I barely listen to my pure BA IEMs anymore, since they always sound so thin...

The Z1Rs are interesting - the imaging is amazing and they don't fatigue at all. They essentially sound like full sized headphones that go in your ear canal... but they aren't as playful(?) as I was expecting and are highly source dependent (both DAC and file).

Given all this, what do you think I'll see in the Andromeda and Solaris, respectively? My music genres tend towards folk, bluegrass, rock, classical, and some occasional hip hop/rap.

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #10,088 of 12,035
Given all this, what do you think I'll see in the ...Solaris

IMHO Solaris has a more 3-d/holographic stage with better separation and more space between instruments, tighter & quicker bass, but a bit less quantity, better coherence and a more present midrange. Z1R has better bass and arguably better treble but the mids aren't as full (particularly lower) and imho it doesn't all combine into as coherent and cohesive a sound signature as the Solaris presents. Which is more "playful" is tough to say. Of the types of music. you list there I would give the Z1R edge for hip hop, consider it a draw for classical and give the rest to Solaris.

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #10,089 of 12,035
IMHO Solaris has a more 3-d/holographic stage with better separation and more space between instruments, tighter & quicker bass, but a bit less quantity, better coherence and a more present midrange. Z1R has better bass and arguably better treble but the mids aren't as full (particularly lower) and imho it doesn't all combine into as coherent and cohesive a sound signature as the Solaris presents. Which is more "playful" is tough to say. Of the types of music. you list there I would give the Z1R edge for hip hop, consider it a draw for classical and give the rest to Solaris.

Cool - the more I listen to the Z1R, the more outrageous it's price is to me. I'll keep it, but man, that thing should be closer to $1~1.3 than $2k. It it NOT a $2k IEM.

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #10,090 of 12,035
So... I'm really curious about buying either an Andromeda or Solaris in late November, and I'm 100% willing to road trip up to Portland from Santa Cruz to audition them at ALO. I seem to gravitate towards hybrids or DD IEMs, which is why the Solaris has me thinking. At the moment, I'm cycling between EX-1000s, Z5s, Z1Rs, IE800, and Blessing 2s. I've also got some UE 11 Pros (which I hate), SE535s, and some Westones (UM30?). I barely listen to my pure BA IEMs anymore, since they always sound so thin...

The Z1Rs are interesting - the imaging is amazing and they don't fatigue at all. They essentially sound like full sized headphones that go in your ear canal... but they aren't as playful(?) as I was expecting and are highly source dependent (both DAC and file).

Given all this, what do you think I'll see in the Andromeda and Solaris, respectively? My music genres tend towards folk, bluegrass, rock, classical, and some occasional hip hop/rap.
I have the z1r, but recently sold my solaris 2020. It definitely has some of the DD character for the bass, but I would say its fairly thin sounding too, especially so if you are going to be comparing the bass to the z1r. I like my bass too, and the solaris really just didnt quite scratch that itch for me. Havent heard the andromeda, but I did have the andromeda gold for a while, which was supposed to be a bit more of a bassy version. Again, sold it as I found the bass too thin. The solaris has excellent soundstage and I definitely see the appeal, but if you are interested in more of that rich thick DD sound, I migh look elsewhere if I was you... or if you want to go with campfire, find a used pair of the atlas, assuming you are fine with a whole lot of bass.

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #10,093 of 12,035
Sep 15, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #10,094 of 12,035
I have the z1r, but recently sold my solaris 2020. It definitely has some of the DD character for the bass, but I would say its fairly thin sounding too, especially so if you are going to be comparing the bass to the z1r. I like my bass too, and the solaris really just didnt quite scratch that itch for me. Havent heard the andromeda, but I did have the andromeda gold for a while, which was supposed to be a bit more of a bassy version. Again, sold it as I found the bass too thin. The solaris has excellent soundstage and I definitely see the appeal, but if you are interested in more of that rich thick DD sound, I migh look elsewhere if I was you... or if you want to go with campfire, find a used pair of the atlas, assuming you are fine with a whole lot of bass.
The Solaris 2020 has plenty of bass when combined with the right source and cable. I have no issue with the WM1A with MrWalkmans firmware and DHC Clone Silver balanced. On the tracks that have bass it's present and deep. On my CD rip to FLAC of NIN Down In It, you can feel the opening bass.

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #10,095 of 12,035
The Solaris 2020 has plenty of bass when combined with the right source and cable. I have no issue with the WM1A with MrWalkmans firmware and DHC Clone Silver balanced. On the tracks that have bass it's present and deep. On my CD rip to FLAC of NIN Down In It, you can feel the opening bass.
“Plenty of bass” depends to what you compare it too . :wink: but I would also not say that it’s lacking at the 2020

Users who are viewing this thread

Back