Campfire - Solaris
May 17, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #8,476 of 12,035
Really interested in your continued impressions of 2020. My only real gripe with OG was that I felt it needed a touch more impact...SE satisfied that need and I haven't once felt the need to EQ up the bass or do anything to alter the FR since owning it. It sounds like the same may be true of 2020 and I'm curious to hear your thoughts as we seem to have quite similar tastes/preferences.

Yeah same here , with the OG some tracks sounded just to thin for me , and the wish for some more impact was there too . I can’t say that from the 2020 . It’s sounded “just right” even out of the box .. really curious if this changes around 150h are real :)

May 17, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #8,477 of 12,035
For those of you that have spent time with other TOTL IEM's - have any of you found anything that presents music the way the Solaris does? It reminds me of having a pair of near fields in my ears. Most all BA sets present music more like a planar to me - more of a wall of sound.
Out of all the IEMs I have tried, I found Nobel TUX5 is somewhat similar to Solaris. I think it is the forwarded lower mids and a huge vertical sound stage makes Solaris special(The 3D or live sound). It is rare to found an IEM which has those two factors at the same time on the market right now.

May 17, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #8,479 of 12,035
Out of all the IEMs I have tried, I found Nobel TUX5 is somewhat similar to Solaris. I think it is the forwarded lower mids and a huge vertical sound stage makes Solaris special(The 3D or live sound). It is rare to found an IEM which has those two factors at the same time on the market right now.

I would add to that the layering and separation of sounds. But I agree in particular about the lower mids-- this was one of the big factors in my returning the Z1R in favor of Solaris when I owned them both last summer. There isn't another hybrid on the market right now-- hybrid or uni-- that attempts a full on balanced sound the way Solaris does.

May 17, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #8,480 of 12,035
For those of you that have spent time with other TOTL IEM's - have any of you found anything that presents music the way the Solaris does? It reminds me of having a pair of near fields in my ears. Most all BA sets present music more like a planar to me - more of a wall of sound.

The others I've tried that did 'soundstage' well presented it in a different way. Most present music in a wide, sprawled out soundstage that is mostly in-front of you, kind of like you're sat in the audience listening. The best I've heard In this regard is the Legend X and the Andromeda was also pretty good but more two-dimensional. I've heard the Fourté is supposed to be the king.

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #8,481 of 12,035
I really need to stop reading this thread. I ordered the Andro 2020 because I had borrowed an Andro OG from a friend and loved it but the Solaris sounds like it might have a lot of what the Andro has but even better. I might have to give the Solaris a try now too. My wallet is going to really hurt lol.

May 17, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #8,482 of 12,035
I really need to stop reading this thread. I ordered the Andro 2020 because I had borrowed an Andro OG from a friend and loved it but the Solaris sounds like it might have a lot of what the Andro has but even better. I might have to give the Solaris a try now too. My wallet is going to really hurt lol.
For me... The Solaris bests the Andromeda in every aspect.

May 17, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #8,484 of 12,035
For me... The Solaris bests the Andromeda in every aspect.
So what has really drawn me to the Andromeda is the soundstage and how it just has a more open presentation than any other IEM I've listened to. It reminds me of speakers more than an IEM. The things I wish the Andro did a little bit better was a bit more clarity especially in the mids. Also a bit more bass presence would be ice which I know the Solaris would do being a hybrid. Might have to order a 2020 Solaris too and return the one I don't like as much.

I also wouldn't want to lose any clarity or the table sparkle the Andro has by going to the Solaris.

May 17, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #8,485 of 12,035
The others I've tried that did 'soundstage' well presented it in a different way. Most present music in a wide, sprawled out soundstage that is mostly in-front of you, kind of like you're sat in the audience listening. The best I've heard In this regard is the Legend X and the Andromeda was also pretty good but more two-dimensional. I've heard the Fourté is supposed to be the king.

That's exactly how I would describe the LX also, compared to Solaris where it feels like everything is wrapped around you instead of in front of you. The LX is amazing for how much detail and nuance you get considering how robust the low end is.

May 17, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #8,486 of 12,035
Might have to order a 2020 Solaris too and return the one I don't like as much.

If you're able to do that you absolutely should, if for no other reason than putting your curiosity to rest.

May 17, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #8,487 of 12,035
If you're able to do that you absolutely should, if for no other reason than putting your curiosity to rest.
I have the ability to do so. I might just have to do it like you said to put curiosity to rest.

May 17, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #8,489 of 12,035
Well just ordered the Solaris 2020 too. Will have some fun getting to test them both.

haha congrats! I was a original andro user and the moment I listened to the OG Solaris it was over. For what I listen to and the experience I want the Solaris totally killed the Andros. My OG Solaris have now survived purchases of Green, Gold and MW10 Andros and are still the last man standing. I have the 2020 Solaris on order and I can see my OG's getting worried. I kinda just want what I have now with a better fit and less chance of them wiggling loose.

May 17, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #8,490 of 12,035
haha congrats! I was a original andro user and the moment I listened to the OG Solaris it was over. For what I listen to and the experience I want the Solaris totally killed the Andros. My OG Solaris have now survived purchases of Green, Gold and MW10 Andros and are still the last man standing. I have the 2020 Solaris on order and I can see my OG's getting worried. I kinda just want what I have now with a better fit and less chance of them wiggling loose.
That is good to hear. I have read a lot of posts like this that the Solaris just kills the Andro for a lot of people. I am looking forward to getting to hear both of them. Surprised to hear the Solaris bested all of those versions of the Andro. My worry with the Solaris has always been the size and now it seems they have fixed that issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back