Campfire - Solaris
May 17, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #8,491 of 12,035
I ended up making the jump for Solaris 2020 myself. I figured I can always return them with no frills, and if I like them sufficiently I'll put up my AGs for sale. It'll be fun to compare all these IEMs!

May 17, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #8,492 of 12,035
That is good to hear. I have read a lot of posts like this that the Solaris just kills the Andro for a lot of people. I am looking forward to getting to hear both of them. Surprised to hear the Solaris bested all of those versions of the Andro. My worry with the Solaris has always been the size and now it seems they have fixed that issue.

The size does suck a bit, Andro's fit me very well which is why I keep trying them. The Solaris OG's stick out the side of my head like bolts. So the only thing holding them were they are is my tips and the curve of my cable. Since I have a super soft custom cable with no plastic or wire it's not doing much if anything to help hold them in. They are my sitting in one spot headphones for sure. But if I had big cans and a desktop amp I would do the same thing so ive been happy with it. Here is to hoping the 2020's will touch any part of my ear at all. haha One thing that has helped is Ken forever ago said to have the mmcx wire pointing straight out forward instead of up like you would expect. This helped quite a bit. We can give it a try with the 2020s as well.

I wouldn't say it was better than all of them just that i preferred it, the MW10 had much better mids, the Golds had much more bass/energy, the thing they keep losing to is the depth of the dynamic driver and the crazy holographic space the solaris make. They don't feel like you are wearing headphones and the sound stage is massive. It's a experience thats hard to describe. Back when they were very first released Ken was quite proud of saying they had recreated a standing speaker experience with them. That may be the best thing to say, it's truly a magic room just full of sound. The andros just can't touch that one thing which is what I love so much. These are close your eyes and go to a magical place.

May 17, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #8,493 of 12,035
So what has really drawn me to the Andromeda is the soundstage and how it just has a more open presentation than any other IEM I've listened to. It reminds me of speakers more than an IEM. The things I wish the Andro did a little bit better was a bit more clarity especially in the mids. Also a bit more bass presence would be ice which I know the Solaris would do being a hybrid. Might have to order a 2020 Solaris too and return the one I don't like as much.

I also wouldn't want to lose any clarity or the table sparkle the Andro has by going to the Solaris.

I also prefer the Solaris SE to the Andro, but there are people that think the Andro is better than the Solaris. The Solaris is more balanced and the mids are more forward than andro, but andro does have a bit more sparkle than the Solaris. Don't know about 2020 fit, but I couldn't comfortably wear my Solaris SE for extended times while I could with the Andro. I see that you bought both so let us know what you think!

May 17, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #8,494 of 12,035
I also prefer the Solaris SE to the Andro, but there are people that think the Andro is better than the Solaris. The Solaris is more balanced and the mids are more forward than andro, but andro does have a bit more sparkle than the Solaris. Don't know about 2020 fit, but I couldn't comfortably wear my Solaris SE for extended times while I could with the Andro. I see that you bought both so let us know what you think!
I will definitely let you know what I think. I hope the Solaris 2020 will allow for longer listening sessions. Right now there are times I've spent 5 + hours listening the OG Andro I borrowed.

The mids being more forward I think is something I might like a little more in the Solaris. Time will tell. I do wish CA gave a termination option on the cable. Would be nice to get the stock cable balanced. I do have some nice aftermarket cables but always fun to try some different cables.

May 17, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #8,495 of 12,035
I will definitely let you know what I think. I hope the Solaris 2020 will allow for longer listening sessions. Right now there are times I've spent 5 + hours listening the OG Andro I borrowed.

The mids being more forward I think is something I might like a little more in the Solaris. Time will tell. I do wish CA gave a termination option on the cable. Would be nice to get the stock cable balanced. I do have some nice aftermarket cables but always fun to try some different cables.
yes .. i wish there would be an option to choose 4.4mm for the stock cable.. :frowning2: i use Ref8 now

May 17, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #8,496 of 12,035
They’re here :)
D41C6948-7AE1-466A-BA25-54A37CAEA421.jpeg

Another size comparison photo
B326D37E-F4DD-48AA-A32D-5F1948AC00BC.jpeg

They feel more like the Andromeda in the ear.

May 17, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #8,500 of 12,035
Put on a song with prominent cymbals and pay attention lol. It’s driving me crazy thinking the new and improved Solaris would lack that CFA treble shimmer
I hope it doesn't lack the CFA treble shimmer. That is one of the things I like a lot about the Andro. I have both Andro and Solaris 2020 on the way and will only end up keeping one.

May 17, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #8,502 of 12,035
Put on a song with prominent cymbals and pay attention lol. It’s driving me crazy thinking the new and improved Solaris would lack that CFA treble shimmer.

not an order just a suggestion lol

Lol. My initial impression is that they sound the same as the SE. I think the shimmer is still there. I need more time to say for sure.

But what I do know is that the Solaris SE is slightly less sparkly compared to the Andro S. That doesn’t bother me though, the Solaris bass makes up for it.

The 2020 fits really well. I had no problem with the regular Solaris but this is just way better.

Like the SE, the 2020 hisses slightly with the Zx507. Its not too bad but it’s still there, unfortunately.

May 17, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #8,503 of 12,035
Lol. My initial impression is that they sound the same as the SE. I think the shimmer is still there. I need more time to say for sure.

But what I do know is that the Solaris SE is slightly less sparkly compared to the Andro S. That doesn’t bother me though, the Solaris bass makes up for it.

The 2020 fits really well. I had no problem with the regular Solaris but this is just way better.

Like the SE, the 2020 hisses slightly with the Zx507. Its not too bad but it’s still there, unfortunately.
I must have got a bad pair then. Cause it’s definitely not like my SE treble at all.

or maybe the beefier lows and mids mask it a bit more.

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #8,504 of 12,035
They’re here :)
D41C6948-7AE1-466A-BA25-54A37CAEA421.jpeg
Another size comparison photo
B326D37E-F4DD-48AA-A32D-5F1948AC00BC.jpeg
They feel more like the Andromeda in the ear.

Beautiful man...looking forward to your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back