Campfire - Solaris
Nov 18, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #6,766 of 12,035
Of course you can get something for 10$. Apple barely pays around 100$ for the production of an iPhone and yet it costs more. So it doesn’t matter how much the material is in relation to the IEM. It’s just relevant if you won’t pay the price for the difference. If it’s fair is on a completely different page. And to be honest I don’t think the SE version is worth the higher price tag. But I’ll buy it non the less, but just because I have a good offer on my standard Solaris and it brings just the little improvement in sound that I wanted. I don’t care if the results were achieved with a 1$ foam thing or something else.

All true. My comment was only in response to a previous post that stated the cost of MoP was driving the price increase.

Nov 18, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #6,767 of 12,035
:joy: Same boat bro, soon to be jumping ship for a legend x.

I'm thinking of picking up a used LX to have as a secondary IEM (I wouldn't want it as my only though).

Nov 18, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #6,768 of 12,035
I'm thinking of picking up a used LX to have as a secondary IEM (I wouldn't want it as my only though).

I’ll still have my Solaris and Atlas but by the sounds of things, the Legend x may be more suited to the music that I listen to... also I want to experience a custom as I’m starting to get pain from extended usage.

Nov 18, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #6,769 of 12,035
I’ll still have my Solaris and Atlas but by the sounds of things, the Legend x may be more suited to the music that I listen to... also I want to experience a custom as I’m starting to get pain from extended usage.

You could maybe drop the Atlas in favor of the Legend X but keep the Solaris?

Nov 18, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #6,770 of 12,035
Don't cheap out on impressions if you can help it. No point spending the £££ then having a load of hassle when you send in inferior impressions.

Nov 18, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #6,771 of 12,035
Don't cheap out on impressions if you can help it. No point spending the £££ then having a load of hassle when you send in inferior impressions.

how do you distinguish what is a quality impression though? I’ve gone to the cheapest place I can find but also happens to be a large reputable chain here in the UK. I’ve also given them the instruction of what it says on the empire ears website so if i look over it and it doesn’t meet those requirements in my eyes, I just won’t pay.

Nov 18, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #6,772 of 12,035
how do you distinguish what is a quality impression though? I’ve gone to the cheapest place I can find but also happens to be a large reputable chain here in the UK. I’ve also given them the instruction of what it says on the empire ears website so if i look over it and it doesn’t meet those requirements in my eyes, I just won’t pay.
That should be fine. Good luck with it.

Nov 18, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #6,773 of 12,035

Have you demoed the LX? It's one of the easiest fitting IEMs I've ever tried.

Nov 18, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #6,774 of 12,035
Have you demoed the LX? It's one of the easiest fitting IEMs I've ever tried.

I haven’t! I’m blind buying a custom based off of everything I’ve read about it :confounded: I know... risky business. I can’t see myself disliking it but i’m very weary about how a custom is going to go down. Unfortunately EE don’t have a dealer here in the UK.

Nov 18, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #6,775 of 12,035
I haven’t! I’m blind buying a custom based off of everything I’ve read about it :confounded: I know... risky business. I can’t see myself disliking it but i’m very weary about how a custom is going to go down. Unfortunately EE don’t have a dealer here in the UK.

Especially if you are happy it’s your atlas, I would really recommend trying a legend x before you commit to a custom one. You may well be disappointed. When I A/B’d the two, I actually preferred my atlas’ signature. The legend x was a technically a little bit superior in most ways (more slam, better separation, resolution, more emphasized, sparklier highs with more micro-detail, more clarity, vaster soundstage), but I actually preferred the overall signature of my atlas. The differences were, in each technical aspect, pretty minor and I liked that the atlas signature makes pretty much everything sound good regardless of recording (sometimes not having the absolute highest resolution can be a good thing). I loved the legend x, don’t get me wrong, but i would recommend seeing if you can find or meet up with someone who has one to try it before diving in so you know what you are getting into. This is generally the best thing to do, but I understand how hard it can be in practice when you do not have a dealer nearby as someone who does not have tons of options for trying gear outside of meets. I think generally, when buying something new that is going to be a notably different signature from what you have, it is easy to convince yourself you made a good buy when there isn’t something to directly compare it to. If you already have the atlas, you already have something that is quite excellent and has a very similar signature to the legend x, so your potential to feel like it is not as big an upgrade as you were hoping is a bit higher. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #6,776 of 12,035

I would highly recommend at least auditioning it before dropping 2k+ on a CIEM. Given that Empire no longer offers an ownership transfer service and that the Legend X contains two DDs, you’re going to have a difficult time moving on if it isn’t completely to your liking.

That along with the fact that this is your first custom, there are difficulties in getting a consistent sound out of DDs in CIEM form, and that there are noticeable sound changes moving from a UIEM to CIEM...

Nov 18, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #6,777 of 12,035
Especially if you are happy it’s your atlas, I would really recommend trying a legend x before you commit to a custom one. You may well be disappointed. When I A/B’d the two, I actually preferred my atlas’ signature. The legend x was a technically a little bit superior in most ways (more slam, better separation, resolution, more emphasized, sparklier highs with more micro-detail, more clarity, vaster soundstage), but I actually preferred the overall signature of my atlas. The differences were, in each technical aspect, pretty minor and I liked that the atlas signature makes pretty much everything sound good regardless of recording (sometimes not having the absolute highest resolution can be a good thing). I loved the legend x, don’t get me wrong, but i would recommend seeing if you can find or meet up with someone who has one to try it before diving in so you know what you are getting into. This is generally the best thing to do, but I understand how hard it can be in practice when you do not have a dealer nearby as someone who does not have tons of options for trying gear outside of meets. I think generally, when buying something new that is going to be a notably different signature from what you have, it is easy to convince yourself you made a good buy when there isn’t something to directly compare it to. If you already have the atlas, you already have something that is quite excellent and has a very similar signature to the legend x, so your potential to feel like it is not as big an upgrade as you were hoping is a bit higher. Just my two cents.

The Atlas is more of a W shape vs. the solid V of the LX. The LX has better technicalities and texture but the midrange is definitely more recessed. Both are top tier IEMs though. I would echo what others have said and recommend a demo first. It's a lot to invest in a blind bought custom that you will essentially be stuck with if you don't like it. Maybe buy one used to demo and sell it right away after if you want to invest in a custom? You would be able to do so at a minimal loss.

Nov 18, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #6,779 of 12,035
The Atlas is more of a W shape vs. the solid V of the LX. The LX has better technicalities and texture but the midrange is definitely more recessed. Both are top tier IEMs though. I would echo what others have said and recommend a demo first. It's a lot to invest in a blind bought custom that you will essentially be stuck with if you don't like it. Maybe buy one used to demo and sell it right away after if you want to invest in a custom? You would be able to do so at a minimal loss.

Hi Rockwell,

You not using Sony IER-Z1R anymore as I saw your signature, you are changing to Anole VX and now you plan to own Legend X ?

I'm thinking to own another IEM which have more bass but without sacrifice the details of the sound than Solaris which make me thinking of Z1R.

Any comments on this ?

Nov 18, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #6,780 of 12,035
Hi Rockwell,

You not using Sony IER-Z1R anymore as I saw your signature, you are changing to Anole VX and now you plan to own Legend X ?

I'm thinking to own another IEM which have more bass but without sacrifice the details of the sound than Solaris which make me thinking of Z1R.

Any comments on this ?

I love the Solaris for its detail, balance, holographic soundstage, rich subbass etc....but I craved a touch more impact in the midbass region. I owned the Z1R for two weeks in August...it wowed me initial with its wonderful subbass texture and treble extension but after a while I really started to notice the recessed midrange. Furthermore the Z1R, for all of its wonderful subbass, actually as slightly less midbass impact than Solaris does. I also found the integration of the different drivers to be more seamless on Solaris, resulting in (to my ears) a more coherent overall sound. The real deal-breaker for me, however, was fit. It's still a great sounding IEM...I just preferred the Solaris overall. After returning the Z1R I was able to demo the QDC VX...it has a similar balanced sound as Solaris, but is more richly detailed. It doesn't quite have the holographic stage as Solaris the presentation is much more deep and nuanced. Most importantly it has a slight bass boost and gave me just the touch of impact I was looking for while preserving the balance and detail. I am thinking about a Legend X, not to replace the VX but as secondary IEM with tons of bass so I can get a bass head fix every now and again. I would suggest checking out the VX if you have the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back