Campfire - Solaris
Sep 8, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #6,286 of 12,035
I don't know if you've heard the Fiio FH7, but that has a low end that I find very satisfying. As for tips, one of my ear canals is narrow, and getting a good seal is difficult. Comply tips work the best, but the pressure they exert is uncomfortable, and I can only tolerate them for about 30 minutes. Those minimalist custom silicone tips are probably a better sounding solution than the SoundMolds, and I'll probably try them at some point. For now, the SoundMolds let me listen for hours. The only real annoyance is that health issues make traveling difficult, but I'm determined to attend CanJam in Feb. I'm new to head-fi and just need to listen to a lot of different iems.
Annoying isn't it :frowning2: Hope you get to Canjam in feb. Swore three times I'd try and make the London one and each time things have cropped up (this year was rampant hayfever which meant that there wasn't a lot of point going :frowning2: ).

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #6,287 of 12,035
Ok..comfort tips have a larger circumference than isolation tips as they are more rounded. Small isolation tips are much smaller than small comfort tips. If you like foam, you should try small isolation tips. Will be more comfortable in your more narrow canal

I just tried every tip that came with the Solaris, and I could not get a single one of them to seal the narrow canal. Thing is, there is nothing about the SoundMolds that sound off to me compared to when I have had a good seal with Comply tips. The SoundMolds do make the sound travel through a longer tube than with regular tips, so to my thinking it must affect the sound somehow, but I could not tell you how. Perhaps the "ignorance is bliss" of an uneducated ear?

Sep 8, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #6,288 of 12,035
Annoying isn't it :frowning2: Hope you get to Canjam in feb. Swore three times I'd try and make the London one and each time things have cropped up (this year was rampant hayfever which meant that there wasn't a lot of point going :frowning2: ).

It would be no problem at all if were held in a less crowded city where I could park my 10' tall campervan in a hotel parking and cook all my own food. Extreme food sensitivities mean the bulk of my diet is rare steak and white rice, so I drive and cook. I will never again drive in NYC, so I'll have to fly to CanJam, carrying food for the trip. Once there, I'll go to steakhouses and stay at a hotel with a little kitchen.

Sep 9, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #6,289 of 12,035
20190907_093814.jpg
20190909_204640.jpg
The body bass felt so weighted, shaped and detailed...

good nite...

Sep 10, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #6,292 of 12,035
I'm curious, what is a "Rosenkranz Mod"?
it's just relic to remind me that should try, no matter how it looks etc...

Does it affect the sound? for me yes.
Is it significant? No.. ear tip and cable will do more.
Why not remove it ? personal reason and I kinda like how it looks....

Sep 10, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #6,293 of 12,035
Some snakeoil belief that pasting stickers onto audio equipment makes it sound better. As an engineer, it makes no sense to me and is offensive to logic.

Pasting stickers on the Solaris? Count me in! Make mine in a nice carbon fiber motif, and make sure it covers as much of the gold as possible.

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #6,294 of 12,035
Pasting stickers on the Solaris? Count me in! Make mine in a nice carbon fiber motif, and make sure it covers as much of the gold as possible.

:) I did put click lock (a bit like stiff Velcro) on my Solaris, added benefit you can stick them back to back when hanging around your neck, then bot connections need to come loos to loos one :). Also good when putting away. Made zero difference to the sound though.

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #6,295 of 12,035
Just thought the shells come off with one screw right ? Replacing the gold cover with say Carbon fibre would change the sound right :). Is this messing with a realy good product too much, would it invalidate the guarantee :).

Sep 13, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #6,296 of 12,035
20190913_161631.jpg

TGIF...

btw, I want to re add my impression of Custom eartip.
Regarding 2 things you will achieve about Darker background and more emphasize Bass will get noticed, when you applied custom eartip. still the same.

No allergic issued, my usage is 4-6 hours per day, for the past week.

Hiss, now this is interesting for me, I thought I didn't heard Hiss when the bass became so weighted, so my focus was still on that, and neglecting the Hiss. so far its working...

Low volume listening, with no sacrifice of Dynamic, I can reduce the volume from 8 (Mango OS DX221mk2) to 7 with this custom eartip...

so with additional highlights. For me, buying Custom eartip from CustomArt is a right way.

Regarding the treble and spark, yes, u will fell roll off, but it is not like gone, u still get the soundstage, Spacious and airy feeling.
Beneficial for me so I don't get fatigue quick.

Well, this is just my 3 cents.
going back to regular tip, will be something difficult for me...
I really enjoy my Solaris Sound signature, Warm yet detail...

edit, TQ to @ddmt, for reminding, even Ken Balls give some word of advice regarding custom eartips affecting sound on High freq.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/campfire-solaris.891180/page-334#post-14932279

so far, I exp to the sound signature I like, so it can be different for you...

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #6,297 of 12,035
Some snakeoil belief that pasting stickers onto audio equipment makes it sound better. As an engineer, it makes no sense to me and is offensive to logic.
There are quite a handful (or more) on Head-Fi that actually believe that.

I once tried these stickers on my DAP and my IEMs. They were freely available, and I was offered the opportunity to try. I didn't believe in them, but I thought, heck, why not try it anyway? Needless to say, I heard no difference whatsoever.

Sep 14, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #6,298 of 12,035
Sep 15, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #6,300 of 12,035
So, after some time, I got my collection of CA tops complete.
Loving them all! :)

I was about to grab the Atlas...then at the last minute, got the Solaris. Reading reviews I was worried that they would be too light on the bass. Now that I have them, I'm happy with my decision. The low end is deep and strong, with present mid-range and treble. A very good closed back addition to my LCDi4. Love my portable gear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back