Campfire - Solaris
Mar 2, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #3,781 of 12,035
Based on my listening "tests", I wouldn't say it sounds really close to the Solaris. I like the Rai Penta, but some of the wow! seems to be missing compared to the Solaris.

Spot on! That is what myself and a couple of others have said, "There's a little something missing from the Rai Penta when compared to the Solaris." With that, I still think it's a good IEM and folks can be happy with it. I'll also add that for some listening purposes such as travel and sleeping on planes, I would choose the Rai Penta over the Solaris. Different IEMs for different purposes. Just like choosing the right tool for the job :)

Mar 2, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #3,782 of 12,035
But I do hear some people who would rather have a lower key look. Message received.
Ken

If you could also find a way to make them smaller, that would allow me to enter the game.

Mar 2, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #3,784 of 12,035
Haha! I tend to be very loyal and at this point I feel like I'm married to the Andromeda, so she would have to betray me pretty badly for me to divorce her. :) I briefly listened to the U12 at my dealer and I quite liked it. I don't think I have enough experience listening to the 64 Audio lineup, but for now I would put the U12 as my favorite. However, even if I ended up liking them more than the Andro, that's still 2x the money. Not sure I can stretch that far.

Let us know how you feel about the U12t in about a week or so.

Based on my listening "tests", I wouldn't say it sounds really close to the Solaris. I like the Rai Penta, but some of the wow! seems to be missing compared to the Solaris.

Now I know that the Solaris is properly burned in (even if I'm not sure I'm buying the whole burnin theory, but that's a whole different discussion), but I didn't get a chance to ask about the state of the Penta. The one I borrowed from my dealer and am listening to now could very well be fresh out of the box. Also, the player I'm using is my Galaxy S8 phone (the only "DAP" I kept), which has proven to me to be almost indistinguishable from even high end players when paired with the Andromeda. But it could be that the it pairs poorly with the Penta (the Penta is less sensitive).

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I don't feel at all comfortable making general statements regarding Solaris vs Rai Penta, but in my very limited listening experience I wasn't impressed enough to consider it as a better pick than the Andro or Solaris.

Fit is really good indeed, but there's something weird about it too. It might be because of the venting hole, but I can't seem to get good isolation regardless of how much I fiddle with tips, which makes me constantly question if I have a good seal or not, and as a result, if the sound I'm hearing is the best they can do.

Your Andromeda is lucky to have you, then. My gear is not so lucky lol. I have to agree with you about the U12Ts standing among the 64 audio lineup. While the others did some things better than the u12t, even a lot better, the u12t is the the best choice when trying to encompass all of the necessary qualities for a good all arounder TOTL iem. Ok that sounds dramatic, but I feel it to be true.

Btw, I got mine in their b-stock stock sale for 1400+ tax, so not quite double. It's in perfect shape too. Thought they had some scuffs, but they were just so something smeared on that rubbed off in the end.

Mar 3, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #3,785 of 12,035
Just want to share. HIBY R6 Pro is positive have noise pairing with SOLARIS...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...e-to-popular-dap.895449/page-73#post-14805611

Next candidate will be DX220.... or fiio M11....

Adding my 2 cents on the differences between DX90 and DX150 when paired with the Solaris which I shared with a fellow Head-fier:

Unfortunately like what many others have reported, there is audible hiss on the DX150 with either amp card - compared to the almost black background of the DX90. However, this is only noticeable on really quiet passages or when i pause the music. On the 99% of music that I listen to (Jazz / Classical / Pop / Acoustic / Rock) this does not bother me. To me, the enjoyment factor of the combi trumps the hiss issue - then again, I am obviously not a technical listener :)

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #3,786 of 12,035
Adding my 2 cents on the differences between DX90 and DX150 when paired with the Solaris which I shared with a fellow Head-fier:

Unfortunately like what many others have reported, there is audible hiss on the DX150 with either amp card - compared to the almost black background of the DX90. However, this is only noticeable on really quiet passages or when i pause the music. On the 99% of music that I listen to (Jazz / Classical / Pop / Acoustic / Rock) this does not bother me. To me, the enjoyment factor of the combi trumps the hiss issue - then again, I am obviously not a technical listener :)

Valid point, and thank you for the additional information regarding DX150 and DX90.
I will add DX90 to my DAP Quest.

On DX150 Amp6, when I demoed, I was consider it was almost neglectable (pairing with SOLARIS + AbNormal cable), but when I read my note, I was also demoed comparing with DX200 Amp1 and fiio X7ii. And was more interested on DX200.
On my note, I was quoting that DX150 Amp6 was powerfull than almost the same as my stack at that time (X5iii with E12a). I can't image with AMP7 or AMP8...

my question to you, what is the first thing that come to you when u used AMP7 over Amp6 when using with SOLARIS...
I am still confuse to choose if DX220 come ....

Edit : on my next DAP quest, I should mention clearly that HISS that bother me is HISS that still exist when the song play...
IMO, this HISS really overlay the Separation, for the crossover Mid in Solaris between DD and BA, it really GRIND MY GEAR (annoying) for me...

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #3,787 of 12,035
my question to you, what is the first thing that come to you when u used AMP7 over Amp6 when using with SOLARIS...
I am still confuse to choose if DX220 come ....

Edit : on my next DAP quest, I should mention clearly that HISS that bother me is HISS that still exist when the song play...
IMO, this HISS really overlay the Separation, for the crossover Mid in Solaris between DD and BA, it really GRIND MY GEAR (annoying) for me...

Hi @fokta - moving from the Amp 7 SE vs stock Amp 6 SE, my immediate impression is that it's like removing another veil from the music with more energy and headroom throughout the entire music range. Hope you find the right DAP in your quest! The DX220 does seem promising - I am also curious to see how the Solaris will sound like with the upcoming Amp9 (vacuum tube) =)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #3,788 of 12,035
Hi @fokta - moving from the Amp 7 SE vs stock Amp 6 SE, my immediate impression is that it's like removing another veil from the music with more energy and headroom throughout the entire music range. Hope you find the right DAP in your quest! The DX220 does seem promising - I am also curious to see how the Solaris will sound like with the upcoming Amp9 (vacuum tube) =)
Well, if DX200 was on stock and available, I (prob) finally end my quest.... but the distributor was kindly leak the information that the new model would be coming, so they asked me to be patient to wait, it was beginning of January 2019, and the teaser come out on end of Jan 2019...

So I do have high hope if DX220 will be better than DX200 (At least the same)...

Regarding AMP9 (Vacuum tube like), IMO, I would not be to hyped about it (a bit regret to say this), it was not for SOLARIS to be pair with anode or Tube kind of things, it only generate more Hiss noise that the rich tone... but again, I was trying with other device (tube amp), not with AMP9 (Solid State)... so just have to try it myself when it's available

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #3,789 of 12,035
Regarding AMP9 (Vacuum tube like), IMO, I would not be to hyped about it (a bit regret to say this), it was not for SOLARIS to be pair with anode or Tube kind of things, it only generate more Hiss noise that the rich tone... but again, I was trying with other device (tube amp), not with AMP9 (Solid State)... so just have to try it myself when it's available

You're probably right about the hiss with vacuum tubes (I recall reading some Head-fiers comments in this thread on the Solaris hiss with tube amps like the ALO CV5). Nonetheless, I hope to demo it when it is out to satisfy my curiosity. One thing for sure, it's great to have swappable amp card options with the iBasso DAPs =)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #3,791 of 12,035
You're probably right about the hiss with vacuum tubes (I recall reading some Head-fiers comments in this thread on the Solaris hiss with tube amps like the ALO CV5). Nonetheless, I hope to demo it when it is out to satisfy my curiosity. One thing for sure, it's great to have swappable amp card options with the iBasso DAPs =)
is it me ???... hehehe.... I did demoed 2 times, with different DAP... still Hiss is there for SOLARIS and CV5...
Even there are HISS noticeable pairing with CAYIN N8 (based on MARCUS review), but again, I want to hear it myself... since I own N5iiS and really enjoy it, especially no HISS during the song play, so better Separation... (song file have big impact on Separation, like DSD...)

I wonder how the Solaris would sound out of the woo audio wa8 eclipse. I remember hearing that it was pretty silent from somewhere.

Anywho, does anyone know how the Solaris sounds with Spiral dot tips?
any particular sound signature that you chase ??? beside fitting of course...

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #3,792 of 12,035
is it me ???... hehehe.... I did demoed 2 times, with different DAP... still Hiss is there for SOLARIS and CV5...
Even there are HISS noticeable pairing with CAYIN N8 (based on MARCUS review), but again, I want to hear it myself... since I own N5iiS and really enjoy it, especially no HISS during the song play, so better Separation... (song file have big impact on Separation, like DSD...)

Haha yes - it might have been you after all! In any case, as @Paul - iBasso always says, Enjoy The Music!

Mar 4, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #3,793 of 12,035
Haha yes - it might have been you after all! In any case, as @Paul - iBasso always says, Enjoy The Music!
Yup... Will do... make sure ur SOLARIS is properly break in / burn in...

Forgot to share, now I can enjoy hearing SOLARIS with low Volume (13 -17) since no HISS. If dynamics is need, crank the volume up to 20...
High Gain, Flac song, N5iis, Slitz SE with SOLARIS is good combo...
As @twister6 said, enjoy....

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #3,795 of 12,035

any particular sound signature that you chase ??? beside fitting of course...
I really want tips that are less bright than the symbio w peels. My final tips have been the best fit/sound performance ratio. The best for overall sound so far might be the stock foams. I honestly would love if there were tips that would reduce the treble slightly, or increase the bass slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back