Campfire - Solaris
Feb 28, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #3,766 of 12,035
I’ve never tried any other CA iems. Thought I’d go straight for the bad boys!!!

I was tempted by the Andromedas but not sure if it would be worth it now I have the Solaris.

I might hold off for a new CA headphone...? I’m sure there must be something on the works...

I would think a new Headphone is in the works as well based on the success CA has had with their first model. But you can have the Cascade now and could be very pleased. But read the reviews first. Not neutral but rather Bass forward (with original pads, less so with cloth option). Not complaining. Love them even through still in burn in.

Feb 28, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #3,767 of 12,035
Sure! I don't think I have particularly big ears, just the right shape for the Solaris :wink:

WOW.. its like perfectly fit... mine a bit out... but it plugs steady
SmartSelect_20190301-104441_Gallery.jpg

So, I think I will be selling my Solaris. I took a visit to 64 audio yesterday and realized something while I was listening to their lineup. I'm picky AF with mids. They have to sound just right to my ears or I will be bothered eternally. After reading some of my comments, you guys are probably thinking "duh stupid, we knew that" lol.

As a reference, the hd6xx had some of the best mids I've ever heard, and the JH Angie sounds "correct" to me, even though people say that it lacks treble extension. Even my Eikon, which many people say is a bit dark sounds airy to me. Still love it though

Is the Solaris was my only IEM, I'd probably have gotten used to it.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, PM me. I'll still be coming to this thread because the conversation is great :)
Well we all have to search that IEM, which we used it daily and always accompany....
Since my ear always in the hybrid IEM (can be seen by what I still keep) , so SOLARIS will be my end for now...
my others IEM like KZ ZS6, TFZ King, & CA POLARIS will be stay nicely, waiting...

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #3,768 of 12,035
I'll probably be sticking with the Andro S for a while. It's fun to test and compare to other IEMs, and some are better in certain areas, sure, but if I'm honest with myself, then I have to say that I'm perfectly happy with the Andromeda. My Andro Green will be making their way back to me (my friend said he's not really using them enough to justify keeping them) so I'll do a final shootout between the two versions and put the loser up for sale. I'll be keeping an eye on the market and on CA especially to see if something new comes out that will blow my socks off. Right now I'm not willing to upgrade for only marginal improvements. The Solaris is a step in the right direction and a further refined version of it might get my $$$ (but the case will have to become smaller - this is a dealbreaker right now).
Part of me wishes I had done what you're doing. Should have kept the Andromeda S because I was very happy with it. But noooo, had to let the condensation issues get to me. Now I've gone even further down the rabbit hole.

I've never heard the original Andromeda. What made you choose the S Over it? I'm glad that you're content :)

WOW.. its like perfectly fit... mine a bit out... but it plugs steady

Well we all have to search that IEM, which we used it daily and always accompany....
Since my ear always in the hybrid IEM (can be seen by what I still keep) , so SOLARIS will be my end for now...
my others IEM like KZ ZS6, TFZ King, & CA POLARIS will be stay nicely, waiting...

I'm glad that you're happy as well :) perhaps my issue is that hybrids haven't yet perfected tonality. As much as I love bass, I'm willing to give up DD bass for correct tonality.

Mar 1, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #3,769 of 12,035
I've never heard the original Andromeda. What made you choose the S Over it? I'm glad that you're content :)

Just the looks really. I really liked the green, but the overall construction of the aluminum Andromeda leaves something to be desired. The S is noticeably better in this respect. I also like the direction they took with tuning the S but wish they hadn't gone as far as they did. 50-70% of the way from the Green to the S would have been perfect for me. Anyway, these are small details.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #3,771 of 12,035
Just the looks really. I really liked the green, but the overall construction of the aluminum Andromeda leaves something to be desired. The S is noticeably better in this respect. I also like the direction they took with tuning the S but wish they hadn't gone as far as they did. 50-70% of the way from the Green to the S would have been perfect for me. Anyway, these are small details.
I've read that the second version of the OG Andromedas were better in a few ways regarding the paint and construction. I've never even seen one, though.

I discovered something interesting last night. Someone asked me for some comparisons between the Solaris and U12T. For the first time, I tried the gummy foams on the Solaris. I only had complys before and they don't work well for me. I feel like it took a bit of an edge off of the treble and also evened out vocals. They sound fine to me now! I tested them all of last night and today to compare with the u12t. When you get your gummies, would you mind testing this yourself?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #3,772 of 12,035
Gummies ordered here! Will report back, but might take a few weeks as I went with the free shipping. Spent all my money on the Solaris haha.

Mar 1, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #3,773 of 12,035
I've read that the second version of the OG Andromedas were better in a few ways regarding the paint and construction. I've never even seen one, though.

I discovered something interesting last night. Someone asked me for some comparisons between the Solaris and U12T. For the first time, I tried the gummy foams on the Solaris. I only had complys before and they don't work well for me. I feel like it took a bit of an edge off of the treble and also evened out vocals. They sound fine to me now! I tested them all of last night and today to compare with the u12t. When you get your gummies, would you mind testing this yourself?
Sure, but I think it will be a month or so before the tips arrive from China. I have to say, the more I listen to the Solaris, the more I'm finding things I enjoy about its sound. It's probably a normal process that would happen with any high quality IEM. Unfortunately, comfort and usability are not good enough for me to consider getting them. I'm becoming quite nervous about how I'll perceive my Andromeda now after this experiment. :)

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #3,774 of 12,035
Sure, but I think it will be a month or so before the tips arrive from China. I have to say, the more I listen to the Solaris, the more I'm finding things I enjoy about its sound. It's probably a normal process that would happen with any high quality IEM. Unfortunately, comfort and usability are not good enough for me to consider getting them. I'm becoming quite nervous about how I'll perceive my Andromeda now after this experiment. :)

I can completely understand the issue of comfort. I also worry for the fate of your Andromeda lol. I personally couldn't go back. If you also can't, but can't go with the Solaris either, I'd recommend trying the u12t. It's fit is similar to the Andromedas.

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #3,775 of 12,035

Have you given any thought to the Meze Rai Penta? Great fit and comfort, and sounds really close to the Solaris.

Mar 2, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #3,776 of 12,035
20190302_163731.jpg
Just picked these up today with the ALO SXC 8 2.5mm. Love them so far but man the cable is fat compared to the Ref 8 and Slitz cable, sadly just as microphonic as the Ref 8.

Mar 2, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #3,777 of 12,035
Just picked these up today with the ALO SXC 8 2.5mm. Love them so far but man the cable is fat compared to the Ref 8 and Slitz cable, sadly just as microphonic as the Ref 8.
that's one Pretty Cable u got there...
Bleh... Microphonic again.... Thanks for the Info

kindly to brief ur impression of SXC8 to Ref 8 or SLitz..

btw, u use QP2R with Solaris... May I know how is the hiss..

Mar 2, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #3,778 of 12,035
that's one Pretty Cable u got there...
Bleh... Microphonic again.... Thanks for the Info

kindly to brief ur impression of SXC8 to Ref 8 or SLitz..

btw, u use QP2R with Solaris... May I know how is the hiss..
Yeah...the microphonics strike again and with the stiffer cable, the microphonics is kept pretty low in my opinion because it doesn't move much but the moment it does it easily overpowers the music I'm playing.

Give me some time to burn in the Solaris (just got them today) and I'll do a comparison on the three cables (all balanced 2.5)

Ooooooooooooooooooh the hiss and mind you, I also have the Andromeda and love using it with my QP2R so I was expecting the hiss to be similar. Meaning, during no music or quite tracks you'll hear it plenty and I was right. I'm very selective with which music I put on my QP2R to avoid hiss otherwise they pair very well.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #3,780 of 12,035
I can completely understand the issue of comfort. I also worry for the fate of your Andromeda lol. I personally couldn't go back. If you also can't, but can't go with the Solaris either, I'd recommend trying the u12t. It's fit is similar to the Andromedas.

Haha! I tend to be very loyal and at this point I feel like I'm married to the Andromeda, so she would have to betray me pretty badly for me to divorce her. :) I briefly listened to the U12 at my dealer and I quite liked it. I don't think I have enough experience listening to the 64 Audio lineup, but for now I would put the U12 as my favorite. However, even if I ended up liking them more than the Andro, that's still 2x the money. Not sure I can stretch that far.

Let us know how you feel about the U12t in about a week or so.

Have you given any thought to the Meze Rai Penta? Great fit and comfort, and sounds really close to the Solaris.

Based on my listening "tests", I wouldn't say it sounds really close to the Solaris. I like the Rai Penta, but some of the wow! seems to be missing compared to the Solaris.

Now I know that the Solaris is properly burned in (even if I'm not sure I'm buying the whole burnin theory, but that's a whole different discussion), but I didn't get a chance to ask about the state of the Penta. The one I borrowed from my dealer and am listening to now could very well be fresh out of the box. Also, the player I'm using is my Galaxy S8 phone (the only "DAP" I kept), which has proven to me to be almost indistinguishable from even high end players when paired with the Andromeda. But it could be that the it pairs poorly with the Penta (the Penta is less sensitive).

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I don't feel at all comfortable making general statements regarding Solaris vs Rai Penta, but in my very limited listening experience I wasn't impressed enough to consider it as a better pick than the Andro or Solaris.

Fit is really good indeed, but there's something weird about it too. It might be because of the venting hole, but I can't seem to get good isolation regardless of how much I fiddle with tips, which makes me constantly question if I have a good seal or not, and as a result, if the sound I'm hearing is the best they can do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back