Campfire - Solaris
Dec 25, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #2,581 of 12,035
It's not that I have wax buildup. I don't have any when I put my finger in my ear, and I do clean them. It took months to get a tiny bit of buildup in my ciems. But it still got there, and the cheapest vac option is probably close to $200 CAD on top of the over $2000 CAD for the Solaris where I live in Canada. It's not to say it's Campfire's fault, perhaps they couldn't work around the nozzle design and I'm sure their nozzle works best for acoustics etc. But it seems like they could have allowed it to screw off for access to the bore/bores without messing with the acoustics. Perhaps the cleaning tool can reach through the grille? Just curious if it's effective or if I'd need the vac if I ended up getting the Solaris eventually. My empire ESRs have no need for the vac for example and should never have a wax buildup with just the cleaning tool.
Understood.

Dec 25, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #2,583 of 12,035
But can cables fix few dbs of bass channel imbalance?
Absolutely, cable type (copper, silver plated copper, copper/silver hybrid, silver), number of wires and other construction details effect the sound.

An example of this was the difference I heard between the Campfire SXC 8 and the Effect Audio Eros II+ 8 wire. Going from a silver plated copper to a copper/silver hybrid made a hug difference in the bass response. It also opened up the soundstage even more.

So I would recommend cable rolling to find the combo that you like best.

Dec 25, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #2,584 of 12,035
I spent twelve hours ski touring solo today for Christmas. Solaris playing my top 100 played songs.

Great company on my trek, and no listening fatigue (can’t say the same for the rest of my body). I’ve done the same sort of trip with Vega, but I find the treble sparkle tiring. Solaris was rock solid the whole time.

Recommended.

Dec 26, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #2,585 of 12,035
Absolutely, cable type (copper, silver plated copper, copper/silver hybrid, silver), number of wires and other construction details effect the sound.

An example of this was the difference I heard between the Campfire SXC 8 and the Effect Audio Eros II+ 8 wire. Going from a silver plated copper to a copper/silver hybrid made a hug difference in the bass response. It also opened up the soundstage even more.

So I would recommend cable rolling to find the combo that you like best.
Wait, so you're saying cables can bring that lower line in the graph back in place with the upper line?

Dec 26, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #2,586 of 12,035
Wait, so you're saying cables can bring that lower line in the graph back in place with the upper line?
I use a marker, just take the printout, mark up the graph the way you want to hear it, then tear it up, and put the earphones in your ears.

Dec 26, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #2,588 of 12,035
Round 5
Not Afraid - Eminem (Genre - Rap)

Audeze LCD 4
The focus is 3 things in this song, vocals, the sub-bass track and the sharp mid-bass track.
Score: 10/10

64 Audio U12t
As expected, the sub-bass track sounds meh. The mid-bass track however was sharper and more pronounced than on both Solaris and LCD 4 almost on the verge of being harsh. Vocals sound neutral, if that's the right term. Solaris and LCD 4 Vocals have sort of energy to them that the U12t lacks.
Score: 6/10

Campfire Audio Solaris

Sub-bass is fantastic as expected. Mid-bass track was better than U12t as it lacked the unnatural prominence. Vocals sound a tiny bit laid back compared to the U12t but the tonality is closer to the LCD 4.
Score: 7/10

Dec 26, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #2,589 of 12,035
Round 5

Audeze LCD 4
The focus is 3 things in this song, vocals, the sub-bass track and the sharp mid-bass track.

64 Audio U12t
As expected, the sub-bass track sounds meh. The mid-bass track however was sharper and more pronounced than on both Solaris and LCD 4 almost on the verge of being harsh. Vocals sound neutral, if that's the right term. Solaris and LCD 4 Vocals have sort of energy to them that the U12t lacks.

Campfire Audio Solaris

Sub-bass is fantastic as expected. Mid-bass track was better than U12t as it lacked the unnatural prominence. Vocals sound a tiny bit laid back compared to the U12t but the tonality is closer to the LCD 4.
7 out a 10 means it has flaws.

Dec 26, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #2,591 of 12,035
7 out a 10 means it has flaws.
Seriously, the $4,000 LCD-4 is a 10 out of 10.
It doesn't have flaws, it's just 70% as good as a full size headphone that costs almost three times as much.

That's pretty dam good.

Dec 26, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #2,593 of 12,035
Round 5

Audeze LCD 4

64 Audio U12t

Campfire Audio Solaris

Does this mean the LCD 4 is FLAWLESS? Please do explain I'm confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back