Campfire - Solaris
Dec 24, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #2,551 of 12,035
I listened to Solaris off my 1000M tonight at Audio46 and admittedly they were not burned in, but I found the sound to be very 'thick'. The bass was impressive, I could feel it in my throat for crying out loud, but I was very disappointed by the treble and the soundstage and the treble extension. Also the mids were very thick. I told them I would be back when their demo unit had a few more hours on them.

If you’re coming for a lot of listening the KSE1200 then I get why you find them thick... don’t try Empire Ears Phantom then, you’ll get a new definition of « thick » :wink: Also listen to the Phantom for an hour, switch to the Solaris and you’ll find them thin :D

I find the Solaris have good body and weight, but also their thickness is really well implemented as there is a lot of air and good separation which makes them thick enough but not too much (never congested). Granted it’s a matter of taste, I like meat on the bones :p

Now in the upper treble department, hard to beat the KSE so your point of reference is the highest there is :wink: On the flipside I find the Solaris have more lower treble excitement so...

When I switch back to the KSE1500 right after the Solaris, I find the KSE « thin » but after a few minutes I adjust to the sound signature. If you’ve auditioned for a short bit beware you’ll be very influenced by the gear you’re currently listening to the most...

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #2,552 of 12,035
Whoa there I was low key called out for trolling xD
I stand by my words, these are flawless at it's signature and I have a very different definition of flawless than most people as I have stated again and again and again. By flawless, I meant these have no glaring weaknesses like U18t, Tia Forte, Legend X. By Flawless, I never meant these do everything the best there can be. I mentioned this in ALL of my impressions.
My words were taken out of context and tbh the peepz over there just wanted the Solaris to fall not because of my review, it's because Reddit hates Headfi with a passion and a overwhelmingly positive response here will no doubt be hated in those forums.

It's kind of like a power dynamic between Reddit and Headfi. Headfi tends to praise everything sometimes but people here have actually listened to stuff, owned stuff and tested stuff on various gear. Reddit guys are on the chase for the Value for Money. Most have never heard anything above a Andromeda/HD6xx/Schiit Stack/O2 Stack and still feel entitled to their pulled out of their ass opinion about high end gear. Reddit is majorly an objective forum while Headfi is still subjective. I believe in a balance between the 2 and hence browse both. I only care about my own opinion and stuff I have heard with my own ears.

Also, SE5U measurements are out and it was ranked pretty low and so was Erlkonig. I feel the reviewer likes a particular type of tonal balance(Andromeda) and even called Andromeda mids as "thick" which is simply not what I hear. Now it makes sense to not like Solaris because of the difference of Tonal Balance and really like Andromeda. At the end of the day, it's one man's opinion and it should come as no surprise that his followers(who probably have never heard the Solaris long enough) will echo and support his words.
I agree with you on the "no flaws" in that regard, for me the tonal balance is perfect. (It is not quite the same out of the V40, but it is perfect for me out of other gear that I will have soon) The Solaris is definitely worth the future investment of a good dap for me, although out of my V40 its still the most satisfying and enjoyable IEM or headphone that I have owned or tried.

Dec 25, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #2,554 of 12,035
If you’re coming for a lot of listening the KSE1200 then I get why you find them thick... don’t try Empire Ears Phantom then, you’ll get a new definition of « thick » :wink: Also listen to the Phantom for an hour, switch to the Solaris and you’ll find them thin :D

I find the Solaris have good body and weight, but also their thickness is really well implemented as there is a lot of air and good separation which makes them thick enough but not too much (never congested). Granted it’s a matter of taste, I like meat on the bones :p

Now in the upper treble department, hard to beat the KSE so your point of reference is the highest there is :wink: On the flipside I find the Solaris have more lower treble excitement so...

When I switch back to the KSE1500 right after the Solaris, I find the KSE « thin » but after a few minutes I adjust to the sound signature. If you’ve auditioned for a short bit beware you’ll be very influenced by the gear you’re currently listening to the most...
Honestly I think once they have been broken in a little there will be more of that air and separation. But we will see. According to my guy at the store (Audio46, plug, plug), they are a hot item, and every one is listening to them.

Dec 25, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #2,555 of 12,035
After FW10000 coming into my possession, I have three more items on my list (Solaris, IER-Z1R and Faudio Major).
Solari major issue, for me at least, is the fit. Same goest with Z1R, however I found Z1R fit to be much more snug, or at least from memory it was. Sonically, I cannot comment at this stage, as I never got a chance to do a side by side comparison.
What is with all this recent hate on Soalris, if anything, Campfire Audio should be praised for releasing so many new products, all excellent sounding, all offering performance exceeding their requesting price point.

Dec 25, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #2,556 of 12,035
After FW10000 coming into my possession, I have three more items on my list (Solaris, IER-Z1R and Faudio Major).
Solari major issue, for me at least, is the fit. Same goest with Z1R, however I found Z1R fit to be much more snug, or at least from memory it was. Sonically, I cannot comment at this stage, as I never got a chance to do a side by side comparison.
What is with all this recent hate on Soalris, if anything, Campfire Audio should be praised for releasing so many new products, all excellent sounding, all offering performance exceeding their requesting price point.
Even my friend is waiting for Solaris vs Faudio Major vs the new JVC flagship

Dec 25, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #2,557 of 12,035

Major takes my vote. Incredibly smooth and feels like it's free of texture. I think the signature is pretty inoffensive too. Waiting for headfi to play catch up on it.

The new JVC isn't my cup of tea but it's no slouch in technicalities either.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Dec 25, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #2,558 of 12,035
I just someone to send me the Faudio Major and Solaris and I do the rest :D

For now, my focus is on building a setup around FW10000, in this hobby a new item is just around the corner. If you have found your sound, log off head-fi, spend the money on music and never look back.

Also just to poison those poor souls who happen to stumble upon my post, Faudio major out of LPGT, using their 8 braided cable (I don't know what it is called), is something to loss sleep over. I found Solaris pair nicely with HUGO, or slightly more neutral sources.

Dec 25, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #2,559 of 12,035
Major takes my vote. Incredibly smooth and feels like it's free of texture. I think the signature is pretty inoffensive too. Waiting for headfi to play catch up on it.

The new JVC isn't my cup of tea but it's no slouch in technicalities either.

Issue with Major is soundstage and imaging, which FW10000 manages to resolve. Now issue with JVC is how hard it is to buy it, and as a result it will always remain for those who really go out of their way to look for it.

Dec 25, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #2,560 of 12,035
Issue with Major is soundstage and imaging, which FW10000 manages to resolve. Now issue with JVC is how hard it is to buy it, and as a result it will always remain for those who really go out of their way to look for it.
Is the soundstage small?

Dec 25, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #2,561 of 12,035

I actually find that the Major has a wider stage than FW10K. In terms of height and depth perhaps JVC is better, but I need more ear time. In terms of imaging yeah fw10k is clearly better since it has a strong bite to the attacks of its transients. Major still has good imaging but I think most will find it to be way too smooth, losing bite and thrill in the process.

JVC's signature is also skewed to the upper frequencies and as such might not really fit into most people's preference like pop or EDM. Major has a u-shape which I think is easier for most people to accept.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Dec 25, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #2,562 of 12,035
Is the soundstage small?
tornaku perhaps knows better than me, I should really reserve my opinion until I can A/B it side by side

I actually find that the Major has a wider stage than FW10K. In terms of height and depth perhaps JVC is better, but I need more ear time. In terms of imaging yeah fw10k is clearly better since it has a strong bite to the attacks of its transients. Major still has good imaging but I think most will find it to be way too smooth, losing bite and thrill in the process.

JVC's signature is also skewed to the upper frequencies and as such might not really fit into most people's preference like pop or EDM. Major has a u-shape which I think is easier for most people to accept.

I'll be heading over to SIN during Feb, love to meet up with you if you are free.

Dec 25, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #2,563 of 12,035
tornaku perhaps knows better than me, I should really reserve my opinion until I can A/B it side by side

I'll be heading over to SIN during Feb, love to meet up with you if you are free.

Currently in JP right now, that's why I have so much access to iems! SG hasn't received the Major and FW10K, and I'm not sure whether distributors would be taking them up.

Could do a meet up! SG has a lot of iems (not as much as JP, but still #2 in the world)...

Dec 25, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #2,564 of 12,035
So after today's discussion, I started doubting myself. Do these suck? Are my ears crap? Am I just justifying my purchase? Was the moon landing faked? Is the Earth flat?
Nope, Solaris still sounds great.

Round 3
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin (Genre - Rock)

Audeze LCD 4
This song sounds very spacious on the LCD 4. Vocals sound great, very coherent and natural. Everything is perfectly separated even when the passage gets very busy. When the bass hits, it sounds great as expected of Planar Bass.
Score: 10/10

64 Audio U12t
Vocals are more pronounced than on the Solaris. However, they sound a bit uneven. It sounds flat at some places and a little jumpy in others. A little unnatural sounding but still great. A tiny bit more airy than Solaris but Solaris is no slouch in terms of air, U12t just has the edge. Bass is BA which is fine but.....BA. It has good impact but just cannot capture the sound of the drum in all its magnificence. Soundstage is a tad wider than Solaris but less deep. Separation and Imaging is top notch.
Score: 5/10

Campfire Audio Solaris

Vocals are a tiny bit less pronounced than on the U12t but are much more coherent and natural sounding. I would say Solaris is closer to LCD 4. When the bass hits for the first time, it's one of the best things I have ever heard out of the Solaris. It's seriously so good. It's hard to go back to BA bass after this. Solaris edges out the U12t in Imaging as the focus points sound more precise. Separation is not a problem in either and both do this very well. Soundstage is deeper than U12t as expected.
Score: 6/10

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #2,565 of 12,035
You know a pair of IEMs is very good when you can listen with them AFTER listening with a good set of speakers and not feel like you've lost a significant amount.

Other IEMs I'm reviewing I have to listen BEFORE the Solaris, otherwise it's hopeless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back