Campfire - Solaris
Dec 25, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #2,566 of 12,035

Campfire Audio Solaris

Vocals are a tiny bit less pronounced than on the U12t but are much more coherent and natural sounding. I would say Solaris is closer to LCD 4. When the bass hits for the first time, it's one of the best things I have ever heard out of the Solaris. It's seriously so good. It's hard to go back to BA bass after this. Solaris edges out the U12t in Imaging as the focus points sound more precise. Separation is not a problem in either and both do this very well. Soundstage is deeper than U12t as expected.
Score: 8/10

Please don't call me crazy, hell call me crazy, but do you mind running your Solaris overnight using the Tara Lab Cascade and report back? (https://www.taralabs.com/cascade-noise-burn-in)

Dec 25, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #2,567 of 12,035
Dec 25, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #2,568 of 12,035
I can but why? These are burned in :/

I have had a lot of various burn in sound, but there is something about the Tara Lab Cascade, that for my IEMs, despite it their usage, I hear the effect after the first session of usage. I think Solaris will react very positive to it.

Dec 25, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #2,569 of 12,035
Round 4
A Cruel Angel's Thesis - Yoko Takahashi (Genre - JPop)

Audeze LCD 4
A rather simple song but upon careful listening, there are a lot of nuances in the vocals, sort of vocal cues that sound just right on transparent gear. Also the extension of the vocals is great. There's also a weird instrumental part mid-song that has layers upon layers of weird music that is hard to separate into said layers. There's also some sibilance.
Score: 10/10

64 Audio U12t
U12t was more sibilant than both LCD 4 and Solaris. It also edged out the Solaris at vocal cues. However, U12t Vocal Extension was pretty bad. U12t was decent at separation of the weird instrumental part. The sibilance really takes out from coherency of the Vocals.
Score: 7/10

Campfire Audio Solaris

Vocal extension is top notch. Solaris seemed to hit most of the vocal cues and the overall vocals sounded more coherent than U12t. Also when the bass track hits, it sounds very tactile, much better than U12t. Solaris just edges out U12t at the separation of the weird instrumental part.
Score: 7/10

Dec 25, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #2,570 of 12,035
Dec 25, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #2,571 of 12,035
Solaris + Lunashops 8 core pure silver($70 by the way)+ Shanling M5s ( On sale with case for $400 right now from $460 usually @ musicteck.com)= Gets about as good as it gets imo. Sounds absolutely superb!

I know many guys post about uber expensive pairings here but I want to buck the trend. I am willing to put this pairing up against any pairing you guys have been posting about and I am willing to bet this will give some stiff competition for all around sonics. With any earphone + dap combo on the planet.

This 8 core lunashops cable is no joke.
HTB15M1pX.vrK1RjSszfq6xJNVXaG.jpg

Just because it cost $70. shipped to your house. Wait till you plug your Solaris using this and in balanced out.
Pure cus it beads up in silver like this.
HTB1W.1pX_HuK1RkSndVq6xVwpXa0.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-c...743.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7d324c4dmYRcsF

I am still searching for the upgrade cable for my Solaris too and hope to get my hands on something cheaper then Ref8.
In have now tested multiple chinese cables and all of them sound worse then the stock cable. I also clearly see correlation between the cable impedance and resulting sound quality in combination with WM1A. It seems Solaris is very sensitive when it comes to the impedance in the chain.
Could you please measure the Lunashop cable? Stock Super Litz is at 1,3 Ohm and Fiio cable with similar impedance sounds exactly same. Chinese cables had 1,6-1,9 Ohm.
Btw don't ever buy Fiio cables, I had very negative experience with the mmcx connector being stuck in the Solaris socket, imagine my shock.

Dec 25, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #2,572 of 12,035
Well the reviewer who called the Solaris "flawless" really wasnt far off in my opinión. I think i would echo the same. The signature doesnt have any thing i would point out as " wrong". Its the perfect sound signature for me. All of this is subjective

And also that reviewer wasnt the only losing his mind over the Solaris. I also read in other forums "Holy Cow, BUY THIS NOW"

Truthfully I belive the "hype" was and is warranted. Especially based on price to performance ratio when comparing to other Iems in the $2000 - $5000 range

The only issue I have with solaris ( if you can even call it a issue) is the fit.
Id give the Solaris an 8.3 out of 10 for comfort.
Its good but could be better fit wise maybe its because I have small ears.

A question for anyone who has tried. I will be traveling in some 2nd and 3rd world countries and I really cant be without these. If I put black tape around the gold área wont that leave a gummy residue when I take it off? Is a marker suitable to cover the gold?

Any feedback helps
You can use duct tape, and after and alcohol pad will easily remove residue. Don't know about the gold plating, I wouldn't stick it on too well...

Dec 25, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #2,575 of 12,035
Them earwax help the sound to become even richer and more "flavorful".
Just let them be man, that's part of CA's desire.
Wait, wut???

Dec 25, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #2,576 of 12,035
How do you clean the nozzle if earwax gets past that fancy grille? Can it screw off or something or can it be still removed with a cleaning tool?
It comes with a tool. I'm going to say something right now that is going to come across as snotty, it is not meant that way; clean your ears! Seriously run hot water in the shower everyday over your ears for a few minutes to clean them out, that's what I do.....

Dec 25, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #2,577 of 12,035
How do you clean the nozzle if earwax gets past that fancy grille? Can it screw off or something or can it be still removed with a cleaning tool?

Earphone vacuum could be one of the solutions. I reviewed one here, comes with different nozzle attachments.

Dec 25, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #2,578 of 12,035
If you’re coming for a lot of listening the KSE1200 then I get why you find them thick... don’t try Empire Ears Phantom then, you’ll get a new definition of « thick » :wink: Also listen to the Phantom for an hour, switch to the Solaris and you’ll find them thin :D

Phantom is already incredibly thick for me that any IEM (except for N8) will sound thinner. Demoed the KSE1500 briefly back then and to me it comes closest tonality of the Yamaha HS7 speakers that I use though the HS7 might be a tinge colder. If the music sounds thin on the KSE1500, it will sound thin and vice versa just like my HS7 speakers. I still prefer a bit more warmth when listening to IEMs but I highly prefer that flat tonality that is highly resolving when listening to speakers. Though none of the IEMs I've demoed before can even compete with the depth and space I experience with just bookshelf speakers like the HS7.

You know a pair of IEMs is very good when you can listen with them AFTER listening with a good set of speakers and not feel like you've lost a significant amount.

This I agree fully when it's only the physical limitation of the sound waves traveling from the IEMs is the limiting factor after listening to good set of speakers though extended listening will reveal more differences on some areas but not enough to be considered a significant loss.

Dec 25, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #2,579 of 12,035
It comes with a tool. I'm going to say something right now that is going to come across as snotty, it is not meant that way; clean your ears! Seriously run hot water in the shower everyday over your ears for a few minutes to clean them out, that's what I do.....

It's not that I have wax buildup. I don't have any when I put my finger in my ear, and I do clean them. It took months to get a tiny bit of buildup in my ciems. But it still got there, and the cheapest vac option is probably close to $200 CAD on top of the over $2000 CAD for the Solaris where I live in Canada. It's not to say it's Campfire's fault, perhaps they couldn't work around the nozzle design and I'm sure their nozzle works best for acoustics etc. But it seems like they could have allowed it to screw off for access to the bore/bores without messing with the acoustics. Perhaps the cleaning tool can reach through the grille? Just curious if it's effective or if I'd need the vac if I ended up getting the Solaris eventually. My empire ESRs have no need for the vac for example and should never have a wax buildup with just the cleaning tool.

Dec 25, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #2,580 of 12,035
It's not that I have wax buildup. I don't have any when I put my finger in my ear, and I do clean them. It took months to get a tiny bit of buildup in my ciems. But it still got there, and the cheapest vac option is probably close to $200 CAD on top of the over $2000 CAD for the Solaris where I live in Canada. It's not to say it's Campfire's fault, perhaps they couldn't work around the nozzle design and I'm sure their nozzle works best for acoustics etc. But it seems like they could have allowed it to screw off for access to the bore/bores without messing with the acoustics. Perhaps the cleaning tool can reach through the grille? Just curious if it's effective or if I'd need the vac if I ended up getting the Solaris eventually. My empire ESRs have no need for the vac for example and should never have a wax buildup with just the cleaning tool.

Best thing is to ask Campfire maybe @KB can pitch in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back