Campfire - Solaris
Dec 23, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #2,492 of 12,035
The Polaris is actually quite good for $499 or even less, then it becomes a bargain. They hit hard and are great for bottom heavy music. Mids and tremble do nothing wrong.

Back to the Solaris, they are in a different league from the Polaris.
yup. as the owner for both of them... my impression at first will be the same signature... but boy I was wrong, it really different, Polaris is an Unicorn IEM... outstanding hybrid that can sparkle and punchy, v shape that can make regular music sound fun.... not for Mid Lover.
If you alrd used Polaris with ref8, Spotify with X5iii will be the best pairing... IMO

in another hand, Solaris is different beast, More space & soundstage, 3D imaging, Layer Bass, detail Spark... Source sensitive....

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #2,493 of 12,035
Any direct Solaris - Z1R comparisons out there?

Dec 24, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #2,494 of 12,035
Any direct Solaris - Z1R comparisons out there?

I think these are the IEM's that will take the attention right away from the Solaris. At the very least they just have to fit in your ear comfortably, unlike the Solaris for many.

Dec 24, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #2,495 of 12,035
I am driving it straight out my LG G7. I use G7 because I only want to have one device on me at all times.

I can only guess that the output impedance of the G7 is sufficiently high that it is changing the sound signature of the Solaris.

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #2,496 of 12,035
I think these are the IEM's that will take the attention right away from the Solaris. At the very least they just have to fit in your ear comfortably, unlike the Solaris for many.

So you tried them on?

Looks like they would be fairly heavy... Even if the IER-Z1R is great, I don’t see the Solaris being forgotten that fast, there is room for different signature I don’t expect the Z1R to be the same signature only better. Sony has its own tuning.

Dec 24, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #2,497 of 12,035
So you tried them on?

Looks like they would be fairly heavy... Even if the IER-Z1R is great, I don’t see the Solaris being forgotten that fast, there is room for different signature I don’t expect the Z1R to be the same signature only better. Sony has its own tuning.

Honestly, I expect the Solaris to hang around as well (even on the really off chance that the Z1R is clearly better with the same tuning... and I highly doubt that is the case). For one, Solaris is $7-800 cheaper, and that’s not chump change.

What I find disheartening is how quickly Solaris became a meme in certain circles... I blame whichever reviewer it was that decided to call Solaris flawless as a knee-jerk reaction within a day of receiving it.

Dec 24, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #2,498 of 12,035
For one, Solaris is $7-800 cheaper, and that’s not chump change.

I don't know where you are but here the Solaris and the Z1R are about the same price. Keeping in mind the Z1R comes with more in the package as well.

Dec 24, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #2,499 of 12,035
I don't know where you are but here the Solaris and the Z1R are about the same price. Keeping in mind the Z1R comes with more in the package as well.

They’ll be roughly similar where I am as well (actually I wouldn’t be surprised if Z1R is cheaper here), and that Z1R packaging is amazing. However, for anyone in the North America or Europe - and I assume that applies to the majority of forum members here, Solaris should be substantially cheaper.

Dec 24, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #2,500 of 12,035
Honestly, I expect the Solaris to hang around as well (even on the really off chance that the Z1R is clearly better with the same tuning... and I highly doubt that is the case). For one, Solaris is $7-800 cheaper, and that’s not chump change.

We agree, although the IER-Z1R price has gone down a bit, 1900€ instead of 2200€ on amazon.
Still a major price difference.

What I find disheartening is how quickly Solaris became a meme in certain circles... I blame whichever reviewer it was that decided to call Solaris flawless as a knee-jerk reaction within a day of receiving it.

No IEM is ever flawless and I don’t think that’s the reason for those « circles » reaction. They would have reacted the same as long as there was massive positive feedback, which equates to them to so called « hype ». Let them be, more often than not they haven’t even formed their own opinion and heard the Solaris or limited their experience to a 15min audition in a shop with a unit possibly not burned in... or worse, looked at a graph on reddit and declared the Solaris are junk (lol).

It’s annoying, alright... but let’s forget it and enjoy :)

Dec 24, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #2,501 of 12,035
We agree, although the IER-Z1R price has gone down a bit, 1900€ instead of 2200€ on amazon.
Still a major price difference.

No IEM is ever flawless and I don’t think that’s the reason for those « circles » reaction. They would have reacted the same as long as there was massive positive feedback, which equates to them to so called « hype ». Let them be, more often than not they haven’t even formed their own opinion and heard the Solaris or limited their experience to a 15min audition in a shop with a unit possibly not burned in... or worse, looked at a graph on reddit and declared the Solaris are junk (lol).

You look at the other IEMs out there (even the ones that are hyped), and they don’t seem to elicit the same kind of response. IMO that “flawless” comment is why the reactions have turned so sour, since, as you said, no IEM is ever flawless or caters to every listener. Doesn’t help that the reviewer is the one who declared the Solaris junk (sarcastically) once graphs came out. It just escalates the situation ‍:rolling_eyes:

I’m pretty excited to give Solaris its fair chance when it finally becomes available here. Whether I get it, or the Z1R (or Khan, or Trinity, or TE-5, etc.) will be 100% on my own impressions at the time, and not what anyone says about it from X community or Y review.

Dec 24, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #2,502 of 12,035

Those other circles have a lot of snobbery that goes along with it to be honest.
I just listened to a 60,000 dollar McIntosh floor speaker system. 2 XRT2.1k floor speakers 2x(81 drivers).
I thought it sounded like crap, distorted, disjointed, a complete mess.
Everyone around me was listening to it and praising it, like it was the second coming of Jesus.
You know what I realized, they have gotten used to that sound, like other non audiophile consumers have gotten used to that 128kb mp3.
I realized this weekend that most of these audio reviews are useless, at least for me.
Nothing will replace your own 2 ears.
We all hear things differently, and like you said to me once, no one out there is the keeper of the truth.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #2,503 of 12,035
Well the reviewer who called the Solaris "flawless" really wasnt far off in my opinión. I think i would echo the same. The signature doesnt have any thing i would point out as " wrong". Its the perfect sound signature for me. All of this is subjective

And also that reviewer wasnt the only losing his mind over the Solaris. I also read in other forums "Holy Cow, BUY THIS NOW"

Truthfully I belive the "hype" was and is warranted. Especially based on price to performance ratio when comparing to other Iems in the $2000 - $5000 range

The only issue I have with solaris ( if you can even call it a issue) is the fit.
Id give the Solaris an 8.3 out of 10 for comfort.
Its good but could be better fit wise maybe its because I have small ears.

A question for anyone who has tried. I will be traveling in some 2nd and 3rd world countries and I really cant be without these. If I put black tape around the gold área wont that leave a gummy residue when I take it off? Is a marker suitable to cover the gold?

Any feedback helps

Dec 24, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #2,504 of 12,035
While I agree that Solaris is not flawless, those <<circles>> will bash on anything that isn't Andromeda. I seen similar stuffs before with some of the more expensive iems like Tia Forte or U18 (if less explicitly) and the comments that said something along the line of "it's not that better compare to Andromeda" will be quickly agreed with. A fair opinion, but you can clearly tell that many of them never tried those more expensive iems before and only relied on second hand information.
In this case it even more hilarious considering that Solaris is the product of Campfire Audio, just like Andromeda.

Well the reviewer who called the Solaris "flawless" really wasnt far off in my opinión. I think i would echo the same. The signature doesnt have any thing i would point out as " wrong". Its the perfect sound signature for me. All of this is subjective

And also that reviewer wasnt the only losing his mind over the Solaris. I also read in other forums "Holy Cow, BUY THIS NOW"

Truthfully I belive the "hype" was and is warranted. Especially based on price to performance ratio when comparing to other Iems in the $2000 - $5000 range

The only issue I have with solaris ( if you can even call it a issue) is the fit.
Id give the Solaris an 8.3 out of 10 for comfort.
Its good but could be better fit wise maybe its because I have small ears.

A question for anyone who has tried. I will be traveling in some 2nd and 3rd world countries and I really cant be without these. If I put black tape around the gold área wont that leave a gummy residue when I take it off? Is a marker suitable to cover the gold?

Any feedback helps

Lol why would you want to do that. I live in "not first world country" and I never worry about someone snatching Solaris from my ears in public although I guess it depends on where you will be. If you didnt mean that then I apologize.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #2,505 of 12,035

Any feedback helps

Photographers gaffer tape may be useful - think of a cloth tape front that can be cut to specific sizes, but the back side (sticky side) is like the blue painters tape that's use on painted surfaces. It's doesn't leave residue or pull up paint, etc. Here's a link to what I use - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/20008-REG/General_Brand_Gaffer_Cloth_Tape.html since you're in Brooklyn, B&H isn't that far (at least as compared to the rest of us)

Disclaimer: I haven't put gaffers tape on IEMs. I have used it on painted surfaces, to include cars, with no bad effects. And it makes great first aid tape when you're miles from medical aid :relaxed:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back