Campfire - Solaris
Dec 23, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #2,476 of 12,035
Dec 23, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #2,478 of 12,035
Will the ones without the wax guard increase the treble as well? Because with the wax guard in the treble is exactly where I want it with my V40. I might have to get the Sony ZX300 at some point, as Caleb said it was one of the best truely portable sources for the Solaris.
You should try it. I'm not an expert of the wax guards I used them once years ago and just decided I didn't like them. If memory serves, it doesn't 'attenuate" the treble so much as the treble to me just sounded 'clearer' and better without the wax guard. At the same time it could have just been my imagination, that's how subtle it was.

Dec 23, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #2,479 of 12,035
I’ve been running the Solaris mated to my ifi xdsd Bluetooth and teathered for the last few days. Overall the presentation is very clear and spacious. Great detail across the whole spectrum with no major gaps. It’s strength is definitely detail, clarity and wide soundstage (the latter easily beating utopia). It has definite dynamic punch when the music is mastered for it.

Vega certainly isn’t as consistent across the spectrum as Solaris, but that face melting bass sure is fun. I miss it at times on Solaris, but then again, I also don’t fatigue as much from Solaris. Different strokes.

Want to rock out hard? Go Vega/Atlas. My go to gym iem.

Want the best sound reproduction? Go Solaris. Dead Can Dance -Seraphim sounds great. I’m pretty impressed how close in quality this is getting to the home rig.

Dec 23, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #2,480 of 12,035
I’ve been running the Solaris mated to my ifi xdsd Bluetooth and teathered for the last few days. Overall the presentation is very clear and spacious. Great detail across the whole spectrum with no major gaps. It’s strength is definitely detail, clarity and wide soundstage (the latter easily beating utopia). It has definite dynamic punch when the music is mastered for it.

Vega certainly isn’t as consistent across the spectrum as Solaris, but that face melting bass sure is fun. I miss it at times on Solaris, but then again, I also don’t fatigue as much from Solaris. Different strokes.

Want the best sound reproduction? Go Solaris. Dead Can Dance -Seraphim sounds great. I’m pretty impressed how close in quality this is getting to the home rig.
Nice post!

Dec 23, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #2,481 of 12,035

since xDSD lacks the IEMatch, does Solaris have audible hiss with it?

Dec 23, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #2,482 of 12,035
since xDSD lacks the IEMatch, does Solaris have audible hiss with it?
It does. More than Vega which is almost inaudible. It was something I noticed pretty quickly. This was with Spotify premium on quiet noise reduction and Bluetooth with no obstructions between phone and xdsd.

Not perfect but I can live with it.

Honestly though, the convenience of the setup still outweighs the low hiss. I’m not a fan of DAP’s at all.

Dec 23, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #2,484 of 12,035
update around 20 hours burn in...
getting more interesting, especially in Low segment, the rumble is so smooth is just like flowing, get revelation from song Copy Cat by Billie usually the bass just hard punch with deafening. now is layer and smooth (still hard though).

based on my memory, Atlast still the best of making that Low bass segmentate...

pairing with Ref8... wow... that really make the 30% difference worthy.. IMHO.... still annoy by the microphonic though

Hey, X5iii with UAPP is recommended, IMO. Hiss is so less can be neglect. But, u can't stack with Amp.. the UAPP only can do MQA thing direct to jack output.... recording Master/MQA (in purchase) really affecting.
Spotify usage is different thing....

edit : UAPP in X5iii will disable the play/stop, fwd/rwd button... well compensation, not all good come with it...

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #2,485 of 12,035
Found this website that selling Polaris at $499 only ? Not sure is fake one or just a open/dented box

https://aloaudio.deals/b-stock/

Pls comment.

Thanks.

A bit of history for the un-initiated. ALO (Audio Line Out) Audio is Ken's original company. He first made headphone cables, then partnered with various people/companies (such as Vinnie Rossi) to make portable DACs and amps, as well as do mods to iPods and DAPs. Around a decade ago, he was one of THE people to buy portable gear or cables from. With the quality of DAPs increasing so much, and many other people making cables and electronics, he ventured into making IEMs instead, but under a new brand, Campfire Audio.

Dec 23, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #2,486 of 12,035
A bit of history for the un-initiated. ALO (Audio Line Out) Audio is Ken's original company. He first made headphone cables, then partnered with various people/companies (such as Vinnie Rossi) to make portable DACs and amps, as well as do mods to iPods and DAPs. Around a decade ago, he was one of THE people to buy portable gear or cables from. With the quality of DAPs increasing so much, and many other people making cables and electronics, he ventured into making IEMs instead, but under a new brand, Campfire Audio.

I think he mistaken Polaris for Solaris.

Dec 23, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #2,487 of 12,035
The Polaris is actually quite good for $499 or even less, then it becomes a bargain. They hit hard and are great for bottom heavy music. Mids and tremble do nothing wrong.

Back to the Solaris, they are in a different league from the Polaris.

Dec 23, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #2,488 of 12,035
I been really loving my Solaris ever since I got it. I no longer even have much desire to try other IEMs. Its been a good journey for me and I am really happy I got these. I was hesistant on buying these but they do not disappoint at all. Extremely good vocals and treble. Excellent separation and detail.

DO NOT recommend IEMATCH though. Changes the signature too much.

Dec 23, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #2,490 of 12,035
I been really loving my Solaris ever since I got it. I no longer even have much desire to try other IEMs. Its been a good journey for me and I am really happy I got these. I was hesistant on buying these but they do not disappoint at all. Extremely good vocals and treble. Excellent separation and detail.

DO NOT recommend IEMATCH though. Changes the signature too much.

What other gear are you using? I have an IEMatch here but I only use it when I have an amp that has too much hiss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back