Campfire - Solaris
Dec 24, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #2,506 of 12,035
Those other circles have a lot of snobbery that goes along with it to be honest.
I just listened to a 60,000 dollar McIntosh floor speaker system. 2 XRT2.1k floor speakers 2x(81 drivers).
I thought it sounded like crap, distorted, disjointed, a complete mess.
Everyone around me was listening to it and praising it, like it was the second coming of Jesus.
You know what I realized, they have gotten used to that sound, like other non audiophile consumers have gotten used to that 128kb mp3.
I realized this weekend that most of these audio reviews are useless, at least for me.
Nothing will replace your own 2 ears.
We all hear things differently, and like you said to me once, no one out there is the keeper of the truth.

Agreed 100%. Lots of stuff that has been praised I've hated and vice versa. A part of me wonders if those reviewers were paid to post the product on their high traffic website, not necessarily just audio gear related. Nonetheless I have phantom, legend x and solaris. Solaris are awesome and have their place in my collection!

Dec 24, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #2,507 of 12,035
Those other circles have a lot of snobbery that goes along with it to be honest.
I just listened to a 60,000 dollar McIntosh floor speaker system. 2 XRT2.1k floor speakers 2x(81 drivers).
I thought it sounded like crap, distorted, disjointed, a complete mess.
Everyone around me was listening to it and praising it, like it was the second coming of Jesus.
You know what I realized, they have gotten used to that sound, like other non audiophile consumers have gotten used to that 128kb mp3.
I realized this weekend that most of these audio reviews are useless, at least for me.
Nothing will replace your own 2 ears.
We all hear things differently, and like you said to me once, no one out there is the keeper of the truth.

I bet it sounded too warm and bassy which I hear often with McIntosh systems. I highly prefer transparency and technicalities with a hint of warmth on a 2 channel setup.

Dec 24, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #2,508 of 12,035
Agreed 100%. Lots of stuff that has been praised I've hated and vice versa. A part of me wonders if those reviewers were paid to post the product on their high traffic website, not necessarily just audio gear related. Nonetheless I have phantom, legend x and solaris. Solaris are awesome and have their place in my collection!

yes, reviewers do frequently get kickbacks (either early access, free products, discount codes), and review websites generate revenue via ads and editors have special relationships with manufacturers. This is the way things work in all industries though, not just audio. Just the unfortunate reality of the world.

Dec 24, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #2,509 of 12,035
I look at this a different way, since I am not a « pro » reviewer I am very limited by what I can buy and thus I can offer limited comparison to what I own or have owned for a long time... also I have a much less comprehensive point of view than those reviewers that do this with samples. I don’t think this means those sponsored reviews are necessarily biased, indeed I know for a fact that there are a lot of quality opinions out there because I have been able to verify the accuracy and quality of their reviews.

Some will even say people like me suffer from confirmation bias and are inclined to publish positive reviews because they paid for the product so either way positive reviews will always suffer critics even when they mention downsides and minuses. Negative critics are trusted by default but sometimes they are just as inaccurate as positive ones, those people do forget :p What I am looking for in reviews is a least an understanding of the reviewers preferences in signatures, and also how qualitative the description of the sound is. Tips on eartips, sources, cables, synergy, versatility across musical genres certainly are indicators. So much of the end result is also dependent on sources... and listening volume as well...

I know it’s a limitation for me to own just a couple of DAPs, one amp and the only way I can audition my gear with other sources is at meetups. That’s where I’ll fall short on sponsored reviewers and I do hope to get the chance to grow into it :wink:

Does this mean I would praise gear that is average or bad? I certainly do think I would not, and I have time and again experienced the dire consequences of this professionally, integrity is high on my personal value scale... But of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, as long as they have as much quality feedback to provide as the people they criticize, fine by me :D

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #2,510 of 12,035
A question for anyone who has tried. I will be traveling in some 2nd and 3rd world countries and I really cant be without these. If I put black tape around the gold área wont that leave a gummy residue when I take it off? Is a marker suitable to cover the gold?

Any feedback helps

Haven't tried taping it, but I do use quite often a blue masking tape to "close" DD vents in IEMs, and it never leaves the residue. You know, the blue masking tape you use for paining, I think it should work fine and stay on secure.

Dec 24, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #2,511 of 12,035
I bet it sounded too warm and bassy which I hear often with McIntosh systems. I highly prefer transparency and technicalities with a hint of warmth on a 2 channel setup.
It sounded worse than warm and bassy. There was zero clarity, and it sounded like a 161 little speakers. I heard all of them, instead of 1 coherant sound. Massive distortion, and a jumble of a sound.
Everyone was more interested in the specs, and blew right past the fact that the music sounded like a dying giraffe.
That would be my review in short. I would never be invited back :wink:

I wonder if others felt the same way and had to just nod in agreement, or they actually liked that setup and that sound signature. Makes you think about a lot of things. .

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #2,512 of 12,035
Anyways. Merry Christmas everyone.
Hope you are enjoying the Holidays with friends and family, and listening to some great music :)

A holiday greeting courtesy of @AManAnd88Keys

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #2,513 of 12,035
Whoa there I was low key called out for trolling xD
I stand by my words, these are flawless at it's signature and I have a very different definition of flawless than most people as I have stated again and again and again. By flawless, I meant these have no glaring weaknesses like U18t, Tia Forte, Legend X. By Flawless, I never meant these do everything the best there can be. I mentioned this in ALL of my impressions.
My words were taken out of context and tbh the peepz over there just wanted the Solaris to fall not because of my review, it's because Reddit hates Headfi with a passion and a overwhelmingly positive response here will no doubt be hated in those forums.

It's kind of like a power dynamic between Reddit and Headfi. Headfi tends to praise everything sometimes but people here have actually listened to stuff, owned stuff and tested stuff on various gear. Reddit guys are on the chase for the Value for Money. Most have never heard anything above a Andromeda/HD6xx/Schiit Stack/O2 Stack and still feel entitled to their pulled out of their ass opinion about high end gear. Reddit is majorly an objective forum while Headfi is still subjective. I believe in a balance between the 2 and hence browse both. I only care about my own opinion and stuff I have heard with my own ears.

Also, SE5U measurements are out and it was ranked pretty low and so was Erlkonig. I feel the reviewer likes a particular type of tonal balance(Andromeda) and even called Andromeda mids as "thick" which is simply not what I hear. Now it makes sense to not like Solaris because of the difference of Tonal Balance and really like Andromeda. At the end of the day, it's one man's opinion and it should come as no surprise that his followers(who probably have never heard the Solaris long enough) will echo and support his words.

Dec 24, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #2,514 of 12,035
This also reminds of a time on Reddit when I said Andromeda had too much Treble and has a thin midrange, a guy comes and tells me even though he has never once touched an Andromeda, he knows more about Andromeda than me as he has read reviews and what I am describing does not sound like the Andromeda at all and I am wrong.
***, if you have not heard an IEM, you are not entitled to so strong an opinion.

Dec 24, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #2,515 of 12,035
Also, SE5U measurements are out and it was ranked pretty low and so was Erlkonig. I feel the reviewer likes a particular type of tonal balance(Andromeda) and even called Andromeda mids as "thick" which is simply not what I hear. Now it makes sense to not like Solaris because of the difference of Tonal Balance and really like Andromeda. At the end of the day, it's one man's opinion and it should come as no surprise that his followers(who probably have never heard the Solaris long enough) will echo and support his words.

But dont you think the Andromeda is still the sonic flagship for CA?

Dec 24, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #2,516 of 12,035
Whoa there I was low key called out for trolling xD
I stand by my words, these are flawless at it's signature and I have a very different definition of flawless than most people as I have stated again and again and again. By flawless, I meant these have no glaring weaknesses like U18t, Tia Forte, Legend X. By Flawless, I never meant these do everything the best there can be. I mentioned this in ALL of my impressions.
My words were taken out of context and tbh the peepz over there just wanted the Solaris to fall not because of my review, it's because Reddit hates Headfi with a passion and a overwhelmingly positive response here will no doubt be hated in those forums.

It's kind of like a power dynamic between Reddit and Headfi. Headfi tends to praise everything sometimes but people here have actually listened to stuff, owned stuff and tested stuff on various gear. Reddit guys are on the chase for the Value for Money. Most have never heard anything above a Andromeda/HD6xx/Schiit Stack/O2 Stack and still feel entitled to their pulled out of their ass opinion about high end gear. Reddit is majorly an objective forum while Headfi is still subjective. I believe in a balance between the 2 and hence browse both. I only care about my own opinion and stuff I have heard with my own ears.

I tried the Solaris recently. It's ok for its price and Is definitely not FLAWLESS. I like the andro but not enough to justify owning one. I haven't tried the se5u but would love to give it a try sooner or later. The erlkonig is more of a novelty iem that only those who have the cash would buy. I tried it on 2 separate occasions, at a private event and canjam. It's nice but not worth the pricetag attached. I hope you have a good Christmas.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #2,517 of 12,035
But dont you think the Andromeda is still the sonic flagship for CA?
It is not. There is not a single thing the Andromeda has over Solaris.
Solaris has better bass, midrange, treble, soundstage, imaging and separation. If you like a bright treble then maybe Andro is better in that area.

Dec 24, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #2,518 of 12,035
I tried the Solaris recently. It's ok for its price and Is definitely not FLAWLESS. I like the andro but not enough to justify owning one. I haven't tried the se5u but would love to give it a try sooner or later. The erlkonig is more of a novelty iem that only those who have the cash would buy. I tried it on 2 separate occasions, at a private event and canjam. It's nice but not worth the pricetag attached. I hope you have a good Christmas.
Tell me one flaw of the Solaris. By Flaw I mean glaring flaw like lacking treble extension, wonky midrange, bad bass texture, small soundstage.

Dec 24, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #2,519 of 12,035
Tell me one flaw of the Solaris. By Flaw I mean glaring flaw like lacking treble extension, wonky midrange, bad bass texture, small soundstage.

Feeble bass extension, only when I see the Atlas DD in the specs. Overall Solaris is a good $1000+ iem, but I feel the Andromeda to offer much more clarity and sharper imaging as a package. Playing between the 1Z, SP1000 and the DX200 Amp4, the Andro is effortless and more enjoyable. Solaris is too shy that you need to play with eq to get the sound you desire.

But this is the limitation of headfi, all we talk is in words and the actual dopamine is in a different dimension. Its a shame that we are unable to test an expensive investment, where I can test a $50 beats POS at every bestbuy. Poor headfiers and greedy brand owners. If they can work on an expensive asian marketing stunt, cant they make their product available in atleast the major cities for testing?

I am sure there will be another version of Stainless Brass or Pacific pink Solaris that will address the current issues..

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #2,520 of 12,035
Feeble bass extension, only when I see the Atlas DD in the specs. Overall Solaris is a good $1000+ iem, but I feel the Andromeda to offer much more clarity and sharper imaging as a package. Playing between the 1Z, SP1000 and the DX200 Amp4, the Andro is effortless and more enjoyable. Solaris is too shy that you need to play with eq to get the sound you desire.

But this is the limitation of headfi, all we talk is in words and the actual dopamine is in a different dimension. Its a shame that we are unable to test an expensive investment, where I can test a $50 beats POS at every bestbuy. Poor headfiers and greedy brand owners. If they can work on an expensive asian marketing stunt, cant they make their product available in atleast the major cities for testing?

I am sure there will be another version of Stainless Brass or Pacific pink Solaris that will address the current issues..
Solaris? Feeble bass extension? What? You sure? Solaris extends deeper than most IEMs on the market.

Andro feels more clear because it has more Treble. In sheer resolution, Solaris trumps Andromeda. This is more of a flaw of Andromeda making everything too bright.
Solaris imaging is top notch. If you call Solaris Imaging a flaw, I have no words...

You might like Andro's brighter tuning but that doesn't change the fact Solaris is the overall better IEM objectively.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back