Campfire - Solaris
Nov 16, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #1,561 of 12,035
I've been saving up to pick up the Phantom during black friday but this thread is starting to make me reconsider.

I had the Zeus R and fell in love with their sound but sometimes would wish they had more bottom end. I ended up selling them and was about to pull the trigger on the Andromeda but it was around the time the Vega came out and I fell for the hype and purchased those instead. The Vega was good but it simply was not my cup of tea. IMO they were hot and had too much energy. I would come home from an exhausting day at work and would want to relax, close my eyes, and listen to sweet sounds. Unfortunately the Vega was like a wild horse in my ears that made it impossible for me to unwind. I ended up gifting those to my Brother in Law who at that point swore by his beats set. They seem to work for him really well.

A couple of years ago at Can Jam LA I auditioned the Andromeda and realized that this was the set I should have gotten.

Would it be safe to assume that the Solaris is somewhere between the Zeus R and Andromeda?
Yes! As above. I decided to buy the Vega as my first iem, and it wasn't for me. Too much on the bottom and the top for some genres. I went to the other extreme, with an InEar PP8. Incredible clarity, precise spatial details, extension without sibilance. I tend to dial in a some addition bass and lower midrange on EQ. Still, I don't believe a pure BA iem gets bass, piano, and Coltrane's lower tenor notes correct. I enjoyed these on the Vega, but, for example, Paul Chambers bassline at the start of Kind of Blue (via my 1Z) was boomy and not musical.
I'm intrigued by the Solaris, but only if it is a significant departure from the Vega, which had a similar hype-train at the beginning (along with CA's multiple subsequent releases....).
And I can't help but have the whole shill thing pop into my head, but perhaps I'm too cynical....

@wardo783 I'll attempt to answer your questions one by one.

First of all, no the Solaris is not somewhere between Zeus R and Andromeda. It has been said again and again in this thread. Solaris is dead neutral. Both Zeus and Andromeda are bright IEMs and are more similar to each other than any of those 2 to the Solaris. Solaris is not like them signature wise.

What you are describing with the Vega is its physicality. Vega is an incredibly physical IEM and that's why I almost considered getting one for the gym. It gets you pumped. It makes you wanna do things. Downside of this is that when you are tired after a long day, the Vega sounds like it's draining all of your energy. Andromeda is the opposite, it'll make you fall asleep with its lack of physicality.
Again, Solaris is neutral. It's exactly in between Andromeda and Vega in terms of physicality. It will make you pumped but not to the extent of a Vega. You can also relax(fall asleep) with the Solaris but again not to the extent of an Andromeda.

The best way to understand what the Solaris is, is to forget what traditional IEMs are altogether. All TOTL traditional IEMs are sort of colored. They try impress you with one or two things. Atlas/Vega(Bass), Andromeda(Treble, openness), Zeus(Mids,Treble,soundstage), U18(Transparency). This is different from TOTL headphones or speakers as they are closer to neutral and do everything equally. They never grab your attention with any one thing but provide the best coherent overall sound they can with a neutral frequency response.

Solaris is a new frontier in IEM design. It's closer to TOTL headphones and speakers in the sense that it is tuned to provide an overall coherent neutral sound and not grab your attention with it's bass or mids or treble. No TOTL IEM in today's market has a more satisfying overall sound than Solaris.

This is one of the many reasons why when you first listen to these, you don't like any one thing. If you read trade show IEM impressions, most of them are like - I liked the bass. I liked the great midrange. I liked the openness and soundstage. However, with Solaris, you don't see such comments because it does not impress you with anything. It simply has no faults. The more you listen to it, the more you understand that just about everything is done really well and that makes it impossible for any part of the Frequency Response to stand out.

In conclusion, Solaris is not an IEM in the traditional sense, its sound is more akin to TOTL Headphones and Speakers and you must forget what IEMs are to understand what a beast the Solaris is.

Nov 16, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #1,564 of 12,035
Solaris in the house. 5 minutes into it. How should I describe my first impression...emotional is the word, the emotion of the music is back. The singers reappear and seems like they are singing to me in vivo.

It is a holistic thing, you really cannot or should not just listen to a segment of the sound because you will miss the big picture-the music.
Somebody once said about humor, it is like dissecting a frog you can do it but the thing dies in the process. If you focus into one part of the sound in the Solaris, you will miss the magic.

There is a sense they are singing to me, and to me alone. Amazing. I am not even using my 4.4 balance out, just stock 3.5 cable.

Nov 16, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #1,566 of 12,035
I immediately notice the difference between Solaris and Andromeda in the mid range (I know I know I have just said don't focus on one part of it, it is because the mid range encompass most of the singing so I notice it more), there is a sense of definitive authority in the mid range that the Andromeda just does not have, very emotional.

Again no hype, and I am one that is not afraid to comment negatively like the Tia Forte and I have owned or listened to almost all totl IEMs/headphones.

Being a owner of the Vega/Atlas/LCD2, I do hope there is a bigger bass rumble impact when the music calls for. I am keeping my Altas for the times I want someone to pound on my chest.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #1,568 of 12,035
I immediately notice the difference between Solaris and Andromeda in the mid range (I know I know I have just said don't focus on one part of it, it is because the mid range encompass most of the singing so I notice it more), there is a sense of definitive authority in the mid range that the Andromeda just does not have, very emotional.

Again no hype, and I am one that is not afraid to comment negatively like the Tia Forte and I have owned or listened to almost all totl IEMs/headphones.

Being a owner of the Vega/Atlas/LCD2, I do hope there is a bigger bass rumble impact when the music calls for. I am keeping my Altas for the times I want someone to pound on my chest.
Does it

These are your words

But that holographic sound image, that sense of life like person with full body was burned into my auditory memory to this day.

Does the Solaris meet your hopeful expectations??

Nov 16, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #1,569 of 12,035
I happily took my symbios apart. Never liked how much pressure they put on my ear canals. Going to put them on my Andro-S, right now, and see.

EDIT1: Oh my... I think I've finally found a use for my Symbios... after more than a year. Wow.

EDIT2: Holy crap! Andro-S has more texture AND punch. Damn!!!

I have Symbios coming in the mail and this post made me so happy!! Also interested in the comparison to the U12t as that's the next IEM on my list

Nov 16, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #1,570 of 12,035
The best way to understand what the Solaris is, is to forget what traditional IEMs are altogether. All TOTL traditional IEMs are sort of colored. They try impress you with one or two things. Atlas/Vega(Bass), Andromeda(Treble, openness), Zeus(Mids,Treble,soundstage), U18(Transparency). This is different from TOTL headphones or speakers as they are closer to neutral and do everything equally. They never grab your attention with any one thing but provide the best coherent overall sound they can with a neutral frequency response.

Solaris is a new frontier in IEM design. It's closer to TOTL headphones and speakers in the sense that it is tuned to provide an overall coherent neutral sound and not grab your attention with it's bass or mids or treble. No TOTL IEM in today's market has a more satisfying overall sound than Solaris.

This is one of the many reasons why when you first listen to these, you don't like any one thing. If you read trade show IEM impressions, most of them are like - I liked the bass. I liked the great midrange. I liked the openness and soundstage. However, with Solaris, you don't see such comments because it does not impress you with anything. It simply has no faults. The more you listen to it, the more you understand that just about everything is done really well and that makes it impossible for any part of the Frequency Response to stand out.

In conclusion, Solaris is not an IEM in the traditional sense, its sound is more akin to TOTL Headphones and Speakers and you must forget what IEMs are to understand what a beast the Solaris is.

to50WqJ.gif

Nov 16, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #1,572 of 12,035
Does it

These are your words

But that holographic sound image, that sense of life like person with full body was burned into my auditory memory to this day.

Does the Solaris meet your hopeful expectations??

Well I only have one hour with the Solaris so it is a bit premature to draw conclusion on the Solaris. But then when I was in the hifi room I also have no history with that set up. I will be lying if I say the Solaris can compete with the Wilson/Levinson system in terms of holographic image and I don't think I will use that as a bar to judge the Solaris. At this point in my journey, this much I can say about the Solaris that it is a much more livelier sound than many iems or even totl iems, I currently have the Utopia and the HD800 and these are classic full size headphones and I think the Solaris can definitely compete with them in terms of "life-like" factor.

I can still remember ten or so years ago when Audeze first release the LCD2, I could not get over that bass, it was a visceral bass that was never there until a bass note got pluck or some vibrating double bass notes started to rumble and they seem to come out from no where but they complete the music. Ever since the first edition of the LCD2, Audeze has never been able to replicate that signature. I asked the owner of Audeze at CES one year and he said they were not able to acquire similar planar materials.

Coming back to the Solaris, everything is in its place but I could not help but wonder what happened to the 10 mm ADLC DD driver. With the Vega/Atlas, bass is something you feel but with Solaris bass is something you hear. I agree with the previous impressions that the Solaris has the Andromeda tuning but it is a much better Andromeda. I have a very strong feeling that Ken is going to retune the Solaris or come up with something different that will incorporate that visceral bass with the Solaris mid/treble sometime next year. I am not a bass head but when you hear Yo Yo Ma performs (for instance the Massenet Meditation From Thais), you want to feel it in you bosom, that low frequency has got to go through your bones and I don't think it is there yet. Don't get me wrong, technically the Solaris bass is accurate with texture but if you are looking for that low frequency being pushed by a 1000 Watts amp through a pair of Focal or Wilson speakers, the Solaris is far from being there.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #1,573 of 12,035
Well I only have one hour with the Solaris so it is a bit premature to draw conclusion on the Solaris. But then when I was in the hifi room I also have no history with that set up. I will be lying if I say the Solaris can compete with the Wilson/Levinson system in terms of holographic image and I don't think I will use that as a bar to judge the Solaris. At this point in my journey, this much I can say about the Solaris that it is a much more livelier sound than many iems or even totl iems, I currently have the Utopia and the HD800 and these are classic full size headphones and I think the Solaris can definitely compete with them in terms of "life-like" factor.

I can still remember ten or so years ago when Audeze first release the LCD2, I could not get over that bass, it was a visceral bass that was never there until a bass note got pluck or some vibrating double bass notes started to rumble and they seem to come out from no where but they complete the music. Ever since the first edition of the LCD2, Audeze has never been able to replicate that signature. I asked the owner of Audeze at CES one year and he said they were not able to acquire similar planar materials.

Coming back to the Solaris, everything is in its place but I could not help but wonder what happened to the 10 mm ADLC DD driver. With the Vega/Atlas, bass is something you feel but with Solaris bass is something you hear. I agree with the previous impressions that the Solaris has the Andromeda tuning but it is a much better Andromeda. I have a very strong feeling that Ken is going to retune the Solaris or come up with something different that will incorporate that visceral bass with the Solaris mid/treble sometime next year. I am not a bass head but when you hear Yo Yo Ma performs (for instance the Massenet Meditation From Thais), you want to feel it in you bosom, that low frequency has got to go through your bones and I don't think it is there yet. Don't get me wrong, technically the Solaris bass is accurate with texture but if you are looking for that low frequency being pushed by a 1000 Watts amp through a pair of Focal or Wilson speakers, the Solaris is far from being there.
Thank you

I know these are early impressions

Do get a sense of a holographic sound? Are vocals forward and somewhat in front of you?

Nov 16, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #1,574 of 12,035

Thank you

I know these are early impressions
Does Solaris have a holographic presentation like you wanted, I am not sure if this desire seemed present to you ?

Do vocals seem forward and slightly in front of you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back