Campfire - Solaris
Nov 12, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #1,426 of 12,035
Somebody has some Solaris inbound, sounds like :) :beerchug: :thumbsup:

And I REALLY look forward to hearing your comparative impressions vs the Andro S :wink:

+1

Nov 12, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #1,427 of 12,035
Is it really a significant difference when compared to the Final tips? I quite like these and they are very comfortable for me, but always looking for an easy upgrade.
I think they may be. I'm a tremendously subjective person, so please keep that in mind. I would like the SQ difference to that of using RHA Dual Density tips on my Vega compared to the stock black silicone. The increased sturdiness of the more dense silicone has quite an effect. Symbios (sans foam) feel like that same improvement. I've ordered another set of Mediums and will try them on my Vega as well. My completely replace my RHAs.

Nov 12, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #1,428 of 12,035
What's the good DAC/AMP to pair with Campfire Solaris? I tried iFi with stock Solaris cables the trebles were too much for me. I found my iPhone sounds better than iFi xDSD Micro BL the same experience @davidmolliere had with Mojo. I just contacted ALO audio they said they like Sony zx300, 1a, + 1z and the Chord Mojo. Any other TOTL DAC option?

Surprised... I don't like the Mojo that much with the Solaris, yep the Sony do pair well, maybe it has something to do with @KB having a 1Z :p

I general I would rather pair the Solaris with something that is not too warm or too thick, but that's my taste YMMV.

Among requirements will be low output impedance whichever signature you pick from and some power to drive that bass properly but top tier DAP would do, although I think the Solaris will scale beautifully with a good amp. Ask @Jackpot77 and @ExpatinJapan about the ALO CV5 pairing (surprise Campfire/ALO doesn't mention it!), looks promising :)

Is it really a significant difference when compared to the Final tips? I quite like these and they are very comfortable for me, but always looking for an easy upgrade.

I would really stay away from stem that are smaller than the bore size, unless you want to affect the signature greatly with the tips... I am still unsure why the Final E are bundled with the Solaris to be honest... I'll try this again but I didn't find it had the best synergy at all.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #1,429 of 12,035
Im enjoying reading all the reviews, thoughts, and excitement over the Solaris. I have a question about how all of you are comparing the Solaris to other IEM's. It seems to me that listening to one IEM and then removing it and putting another in the ear... I mean just how much audio memory does one have in order to make conclusions? Or do any of you use a splitter to play one IEM in the left ear and another in the right?

Any enlightenment would be appreciated....

Nov 12, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #1,430 of 12,035
Im enjoying reading all the reviews, thoughts, and excitement over the Solaris. I have a question about how all of you are comparing the Solaris to other IEM's. It seems to me that listening to one IEM and then removing it and putting another in the ear... I mean just how much audio memory does one have in order to make conclusions? Or do any of you use a splitter to play one IEM in the left ear and another in the right?

I dont know how everyone a/b iem, but when I do it, 1 iem in 1 ear and 1 in the other

Nov 12, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #1,431 of 12,035

There is no way to be 100% accurate, it's been well documented that auditory memory is not reliable.

Most people will just trust what they think they hear, some will use measurements as helping hand.

With that said, the more gear you tried and how long you've been in the hobby does improve your skills.
It is easier for me to pick up different sound signatures, clarity, stronger impact, etc between gears now moreso compared to 4 years ago.

The most difficult part for me is resolution and details.

It would be interesting to hear what big time reviewers think about this.

For me, it is simple.
Go to a shop -> audition -> go home -> go to a shop -> 2nd audition -> decide to buy/not to buy.

I always audition at least twice.

Nov 12, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #1,432 of 12,035

Thanks but that's a single bag. What's interesting abou the CA one is that it's small and has two compartments, which is perfect for something like the Andromeda - metalish and easy to scatch merely by bumping around in the same bag/case.

A small separate dual sleeve is perfect - but apparently quite uncommon.

Where the heck do you live?

Looking at the cost you'd say Mars. But it's just Western Europe: NL :)
Man. I really like that dual/IEM sleeve. But $65 seems a bit steep.

Seriously, I'm sure CA just had the shipping costs hard-coded somewhere, maybe even with a fat insurance coverage. This price for the sleeves obviously doesn't make sense.

Would be nice if we could get them in Europe at a reasonable cost tho. Little to insure and not really requiring fast shipping, but useful to protect our CA gear.

Now what really worries me more and feels wrong is that I'm getting this urge to order the Solaris because somehow I suspect they are awesome... :-|

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #1,433 of 12,035
Looking at the cost you'd say Mars. But it's just Western Europe: NL :)

Try talking to Rick from Ears Unlimited in Delft. I'm sure he can hook you up.

Nov 12, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #1,434 of 12,035
CE991E65-53CC-4B9A-B8CD-1B9EA72D7616.jpeg

There is no way to be 100% accurate, it's been well documented that auditory memory is not reliable.

Most people will just trust what they think they hear, some will use measurements as helping hand.

With that said, the more gear you tried and how long you've been in the hobby does improve your skills.
It is easier for me to pick up different sound signatures, clarity, stronger impact, etc between gears now moreso compared to 4 years ago.

The most difficult part for me is resolution and details.

It would be interesting to hear what big time reviewers think about this.

For me, it is simple.
Go to a shop -> audition -> go home -> go to a shop -> 2nd audition -> decide to buy/not to buy.

I always audition at least twice.

Yeah when purchasing I always go to a shop at least twice to audition and read every review I can and go through forum threads.
————————————-
As for A/B’ing usually I do that at home these days. More equipment handy and time.

Usually three daps (or one) with the same songs, settings, volume matched then the earphone/s (with the same tips) through a headphone switcher box.

Switch between the daps whilst the same song is playing.
Good to have daps of the same brand at different levels.
Opus#1, Opus#3, Opus#2
Fiio M3k/M7, M9, X7ii
iBasso DX120, 150, 200
Etc

Or three totl daps is another option.

F4C1DDC3-31A5-40BB-9A2C-39C5A8EBADD7.jpeg

Earphones around my neck for quick in and out insertion. Taking notes. Rinse and repeat.

A splitter cable is another option. One dap and two earphones.

Low gear and high end gear are probably easiest to review than mid fi gear imho

And as you wrote one ears do get better over time. I find I lose some of it over the Xmas time when I do less reviews and have them stacked and waiting and therefore do less critical listening.

Its not an exact science - but you do the best you can.

Hopefully this is helpful.

BE509EAE-51D2-4A82-BF48-65DAA04F61FA.jpeg

Attachments

• 0BF7AF6D-CCA4-4151-B9DA-03ADC7E1E1CF.jpeg
    0BF7AF6D-CCA4-4151-B9DA-03ADC7E1E1CF.jpeg
    873 KB · Views: 0
  • 5BE7BB05-CBF9-4E0E-9B04-838FFB63FC40.jpeg
    5BE7BB05-CBF9-4E0E-9B04-838FFB63FC40.jpeg
    873.3 KB · Views: 0
  • F2CC6C51-727D-4A29-8378-80BFBFD5E5C5.jpeg
    F2CC6C51-727D-4A29-8378-80BFBFD5E5C5.jpeg
    845.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 29B012F5-AB83-4E36-BF74-61EEFAF8954D.jpeg
    29B012F5-AB83-4E36-BF74-61EEFAF8954D.jpeg
    888.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #1,435 of 12,035
Deleted

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #1,436 of 12,035
What's the good DAC/AMP to pair with Campfire Solaris?
I tried iFi with stock Solaris cables the trebles were too much for me. I found my iPhone sounds better than iFi xDSD Micro BL the same experience @davidmolliere had with Mojo. I just contacted ALO audio they said they like Sony zx300, 1a, + 1z and the Chord Mojo. Any other TOTL DAC option?

Why not a DAP? I use the iPod Touch for my Andromeda and it sounds better than any DAC/amp that's designed for headphones and not IEMs (either too bassy or hissy with Andromeda)

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #1,437 of 12,035

Yeah when purchasing I always go to a shop at least twice to audition and read every review I can and go through forum threads.
————————————-
As for A/B’ing usually I do that at home these days. More equipment handy and time.

Usually three daps (or one) with the same songs, settings, volume matched then the earphone/s (with the same tips) through a headphone switcher box.

Switch between the daps whilst the same song is playing.
Good to have daps of the same brand at different levels.
Opus#1, Opus#3, Opus#2
Fiio M3k/M7, M9, X7ii
iBasso DX120, 150, 200
Etc

Or three totl daps is another option.

Earphones around my neck for quick in and out insertion. Taking notes. Rinse and repeat.

A splitter cable is another option. One dap and two earphones.

Low gear and high end gear are probably easiest to review than mid fi gear imho

And as you wrote one ears do get better over time. I find I lose some of it over the Xmas time when I do less reviews and have them stacked and waiting and therefore do less critical listening.

Its not an exact science - but you do the best you can.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Not everyone has the option of auditioning IEMs locally. If I want to hear these I'd have to go to the event in LA early next year to hear them. I'm not sure driving over 8 hours total is worth listening to one item that I'm considering when there's other IEMs that I've heard because of tours and like plenty fine with my source and dac/amp that I could buy and be happy with. If I didn't suffer from chronic pain travelling to major events where equipment are available for demo wouldn't be that much of an issue. It also doesn't help that my girlfriend isn't into this stuff so I'd have to go alone to anything like camjam or RMAF.

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #1,438 of 12,035

It's like comparing wines. You don't sip 2 at the same time.
One at a time, and go by memory.
5 minutes or 5 years ago.

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #1,439 of 12,035
Not everyone has the option of auditioning IEMs locally. If I want to hear these I'd have to go to the event in LA early next year to hear them. I'm not sure driving over 8 hours total is worth listening to one item that I'm considering when there's other IEMs that I've heard because of tours and like plenty fine with my source and dac/amp that I could buy and be happy with. If I didn't suffer from chronic pain travelling to major events where equipment are available for demo wouldn't be that much of an issue. It also doesn't help that my girlfriend isn't into this stuff so I'd have to go alone to anything like camjam or RMAF.

You kinda drive slow IMO for an 8 hour trip from Vegas to LA. I remember back when I was there on a vacation it took only around 5 hours from Vegas to LA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back