Campfire - Solaris
Nov 12, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #1,411 of 12,035
Ok tried it but for my physiology there is no beating the UE900 tips with the Solaris

Nov 12, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #1,412 of 12,035
So... I have received the 8 wire version of the Hansound Zen cable and... the much lower cable impedance definitely up the ante several notches up! Honestly, it doesn't even sound remotely in the same league... :astonished:

I'll need to update my review again, the Solaris does respond so very well to the cable upgrade... I need to spend some time digging into all the improvements but you don't need time to hear that the soundstage has gained like 20% and probably even more depth wise, bass has gained so much textures, both macro and micro dynamics are also in a different ballpark and quite honestly I am reaching the levels of SQ I have dreamed of ever since I started this hobby. If I close my eyes, with the tube amp and 8 wires I feel like I am there really stunning listening experience. Also, the Solaris sound so much like a full size headphone, so open, that my brain is reconciling the sound is coming from IEMs. Transparency and clarity is also better and the Solaris show its technicality a little bit more.

I realize I should have gone 8 wires with the Zen from day one... oh my... where does this end really!

Note that when I auditioned my Phantom and VE8 with an 8 wire Thor II the jump was there but nowhere near as big as this. I don't know why... Thor II is an upper tier cable.
Probably has to do with the synergy with the Solaris or the impedance matching with Solaris (I seem to recall someone said the impedance was 3ohm under 100Hz maybe that explain why bass are so much better?).

Last note, I had to lower the volume by a few notches also.
Noticeably more hiss though, that's the downside.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #1,414 of 12,035
How is the solaris stock cable ?

The stock cable is great, it's beautifully built and the SQ is on the very high side. Had it not been single ended, I wouldn't have upgraded cable really few brands provide such high quality cable as stock.

This being said, I am happy that I upgraded to an 8 wire cable balanced, as it really brings a lot to the Solaris much like upgrading source will show how much it can scale further. I now wonder how the Solaris would sound with the ALO Gold 16, a 16 wires gold plated copper :p

I will ad quite a bit on this in my review once I have had enough time with the Zen 8 wires as it really brings a whole new level to the Solaris with an even bigger soundstage, richer textures, better dynamics, better bass response still... really TOTL that can compete with any IEM regardless of price in my opinion.

Nov 12, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #1,415 of 12,035
The stock cable is great, it's beautifully built and the SQ is on the very high side. Had it not been single ended, I wouldn't have upgraded cable really few brands provide such high quality cable as stock.

This being said, I am happy that I upgraded to an 8 wire cable balanced, as it really brings a lot to the Solaris much like upgrading source will show how much it can scale further. I now wonder how the Solaris would sound with the ALO Gold 16, a 16 wires gold plated copper :p

I will ad quite a bit on this in my review once I have had enough time with the Zen 8 wires as it really brings a whole new level to the Solaris with an even bigger soundstage, richer textures, better dynamics, better bass response still... really TOTL that can compete with any IEM regardless of price in my opinion.

Ok...since it’s a copper cable...
It kills the treble sparkle of Solaris??
Or softens the high frecuencies??
It’s a stiffy cable or it’s soft and ergonomic?

Nov 12, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #1,416 of 12,035
Ok...since it’s a copper cable...
It kills the treble sparkle of Solaris??
Or softens the high frecuencies??
It’s a stiffy cable or it’s soft and ergonomic?

I think these days good cables go far beyond the material used, example Thor II is a smooth silver cable :wink: Or Ares II has rather bright treble. I have learned to be careful of stereotypes but to answer no it doesn't kill the treble sparkle, but the tone is slightly warmer than the stock cable, it's really subtle though.

The Hansound Zen not stiff at all, in fact when I received the 4 wire a month ago I immediately wished I had gone 8 wire, ergonomic is good and I use it on the go with no issue. Actually, I find that the extra wires over ear stay better in place.

Now what I was not able to compare is the stock cable with balanced termination, so it might be better in balanced variant. YMMV, but it fits my taste as it quite a transparent copper with subtle tuning, not an overly warm one or a brighter one like Ares II. I recommend reading the 4 wire review from @flinkenick

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #1,417 of 12,035
I think these days good cables go far beyond the material used, example Thor II is a smooth silver cable :wink: Or Ares II has rather bright treble. I have learned to be careful of stereotypes but to answer no it doesn't kill the treble sparkle, but the tone is slightly warmer than the stock cable, it's really subtle though.

The Hansound Zen not stiff at all, in fact when I received the 4 wire a month ago I immediately wished I had gone 8 wire, ergonomic is good and I use it on the go with no issue. Actually, I find that the extra wires over ear stay better in place.

Now what I was not able to compare is the stock cable with balanced termination, so it might be better in balanced variant. YMMV, but it fits my taste as it quite a transparent copper with subtle tuning, not an overly warm one or a brighter one like Ares II. I recommend reading the 4 wire review from @flinkenick
So is your HanSound Zen cable balanced?
If so, comparing it to any SE cable is pretty much an ‘apples to oranges’ situation.

Nov 12, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #1,418 of 12,035
So is your HanSound Zen cable balanced?
If so, comparing it to any SE cable is pretty much an ‘apples to oranges’ situation.

Yes that's what I said and no not completely apple to oranges, the thing that will change from single ended to balanced is not the signature itself I have upgraded from SE to balanced with the same cable before. Balanced will mainly effect soundstage, as well as drivability since balanced usually means more power.

Nov 12, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #1,419 of 12,035
Hmmm now I have to try but it will mess up the only pair of Symbio W I have in the right size...
I happily took my symbios apart. Never liked how much pressure they put on my ear canals. Going to put them on my Andro-S, right now, and see.

EDIT1: Oh my... I think I've finally found a use for my Symbios... after more than a year. Wow.

EDIT2: Holy crap! Andro-S has more texture AND punch. Damn!!!

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #1,421 of 12,035
Ya it is funny that I posted about taking the core out of the Symbios on the Andromeda thread and now everyone is doing it. Lol. I hated the way they felt in the ear with the foams.

They should have a choice when selling them to have the foams or not. IMO they are a vast improvement without the foams.

Looks like Fed ex truck will be visiting the home today. Oh boyee!

Nov 12, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #1,423 of 12,035
Did the same to my symbios like 20mins ago, so no final conclusions, but I like the sound. Was using Jvc Spiral Dots so far and these now sound also very good, can't say exact difference at the moment, but there is one similarity which is a bore diameter bigger than with other tips.

Nov 12, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #1,424 of 12,035
What's the good DAC/AMP to pair with Campfire Solaris?
I tried iFi with stock Solaris cables the trebles were too much for me. I found my iPhone sounds better than iFi xDSD Micro BL the same experience @davidmolliere had with Mojo. I just contacted ALO audio they said they like Sony zx300, 1a, + 1z and the Chord Mojo. Any other TOTL DAC option?

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #1,425 of 12,035
I happily took my symbios apart.
Holy crap! Andro-S has more texture AND punch. Damn!!!

Is it really a significant difference when compared to the Final tips? I quite like these and they are very comfortable for me, but always looking for an easy upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back