Campfire - Solaris
Oct 31, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #556 of 12,035
Oct 31, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #557 of 12,035
I think it may be because when you reach TOTL tier it gets harder and harder to blow one away since at this point you are already used to summit-fi performance.
I have a good example. I consider the LCD 4 to be TOTL level. It's just one step below the Sennheiser He-1 and does 95% of what it can do with a very similar sound signature. However when I upgraded from LCD 3 to LCD 4, I was not blown away just because of the fact the LCD 3 is already so good and I am getting incremental benefits.

The law of diminishing returns

Oct 31, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #558 of 12,035
How do these fare with electronic music ?

Still debating with myself on which IEM I should get. Granted that I value a bass (clean, fast, detailed) that wouldnt bleed over mids.
I'm leaning towards Vega atm, Atlas seems too difficult with the fitting and I fear that Solaris might be too big for my small ears too .. I also had the Xelento in mind (can get it around 800€ new) or the Hyla CE-5 but I'm concerned with Japanese customer support lol.

Would be so happy if anyone can try these with the Skee Mask - Compro album which exhibits some nice frequencies, quick kicks, sub bass etc. Thank you <3

Oct 31, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #560 of 12,035
All these size comments definitely have me concerned. :frowning2: Is there anyone who couldn’t get a good fit with the andromeda who owns the Solaris now?

Andro fit me fine. But less comfortable than Solaris. Solaris should fit easier and more comfortably besides sticking out of your ears more.

Oct 31, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #561 of 12,035

Attachments

• 08BB2572-8370-467F-85A1-E8DFE33A7E70.gif
    08BB2572-8370-467F-85A1-E8DFE33A7E70.gif
    820.8 KB · Views: 0
Oct 31, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #562 of 12,035
5 min impressions:
HOLY CRAP!! HOLY CRAP!! That layering. That bass extension. Bass Quantity is kinda low. Mid-bass Impact is very good. Bass is kinda tight but def could use a little more control. Let these burn in. There's layers upon layers of bass. Bassheads need not apply though.

Midrange is perfect. Very articulate, has the perfect amount of thickness and has good body. Female Vocals are hauntingly beautiful. I could detect a very tiny bit of sibilance but it was nothing and most wouldn't notice it(I am extremely sensitive to sibilance).

Treble is not as smooth as I hoped it to be and this is definitely not a dark IEM xD. There's definitely some peaks up there. Let's see if this becomes a problem for me after an extended listening session.

Soundstage is good, have heard better but not bad at all.

Imaging performance is godly. A touch behind Zeus which has legendary pin point accuracy but this is a close second.

Separation and layering is superb. It never gets congested. I repeat never.

Let's see how this improves upon burn in.

Oct 31, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #563 of 12,035
I hate Universal IEMs already. Customs are sooooooo much better. These tips(using default foam) are very irritating.

Oct 31, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #565 of 12,035
I hate Universal IEMs already. Customs are sooooooo much better. These tips(using default foam) are very irritating.

Foam is always the worst. The get oily and slip out for me. Once you get used to universals again it’s okay. Trust me. Takes about a month after being used to custom.

Oct 31, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #567 of 12,035
Commonalities are starting to emerge :)

But, I don't hear any peaks or harshness in the treble, quite the contrary it's smooth *and* lively!

Oh I should have added : I am not using the stock SPC cable here but Hansound Zen so pure copper cable this might explain that.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #569 of 12,035
Which tips are you using, so happy with the sound I haven't done any tip rolling except get the foamies out right away and stuck to the gray and black Tennmak (L size)

And yes I am blown away @candlejack, I am just refraining from my natural enthusiasm because it's too early but I am so very excited!!!

Sooner than later people will call this a hype train and blah blah blah... enthusiast always pass for simple minded drones that publish uninformed opinions :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #570 of 12,035
The stock foamies were extremely irritating for me. I couldn't stand them. Switched to Comply and it's a little better. I miss custom :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back