Campfire - Solaris
Nov 8, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #1,246 of 12,035
Seems like they are making em as people are buying them. I can see them working real hard right about now making em
tenor.gif

I would've thought Fëanor himself was making these the interest they're getting.

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #1,247 of 12,035
Eh eh eh Ken said they are struggling to build enough of this in time, and is very much aware of the customers waiting eagerly to get theirs, actually positive reviews like mine are not helping especially as it unexpectedly got promoted on top of the headfi home :astonished: (sorry for this @KB I am an enthusiast, couldn't help myself sharing the good things...). Campfire is a small team of highly skilled people with low overhead, so it's a real challenge when a product like Solaris catches fire for sure!

I am so glad I jumped on those on day one in the early hours... risky move as only @Jackpot77 has impressions out but reviewers do serve a purpose when you know them well you hardly get any surprises. How many gear I had never auditioned have I purchased blind and thanks to reviewers not regretted it... kudos to them, special mention to @flinkenick there

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #1,248 of 12,035
Seems like they are making em as people are buying them. I can see them working real hard right about now making em
tenor.gif
Sorry to be off topic BUT:

WHAT IS THIS FROM, I’M GETTING CHILDHOOD FLASHBACKS FROM A VHS PASSED DOWN BY MY DAD AND I’M SPOOKED

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 8, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #1,252 of 12,035
[...] Unless that's just your thing. (Btw I'm not using you in reference to candlejack, but as a general you.)
Damn, and here I was writing a big angry response, but then I noticed the bit at the end. :)

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #1,253 of 12,035
Nov 8, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #1,254 of 12,035
Great review!
And Head-fi front page.
(Is it true thats its your second or third written review?).

Yeah well, that was so unexpected, my first review (the CL2) being also featured but not on top like this!
Yes it's only my second review, I always thought I should try to write one but never dared as most reviews are so great here, although I posted a lot of detailed impressions in threads.

The CL2 review was kind of a personal dare as well, I was struggling to wrap my head around it and writing the review was a good way to articulate my thoughts. I realized how intense and time consuming reviewing could be compared to impressions.

When I got the Solaris, this was the most wowing experience since the IE800 that I got in 2013 just right after the SE846 (except the IE800 had a major flaw with that treble peak). Again I had to try to wrap my head around why it was such a powerful experience, and share it... thus the review. I kind of quickly got obsessive, spending 6 to 8 hours a day listening to the Solaris (and loosing a bit of sleep), most of it taking it in and not able to dissect anything. I really thought I would not manage to go through it. I started small, took notes, gathered test tracks and then went from there. I still think it's incomplete, in fact. I'll probably edit and rewrite part of it with time passing. I am glad I could finish before reading another review that would have influenced me.

In the end, I am quite happy that people find it insightful, but there is still a lot to improve and I don't think I could write reviews as great as those who inspired me. I am just a humble audiophile, I enjoy insights from people who practice music or have built amps by hand, or have been in this hobby for longer and have much deeper insights. A lot of what I have learned is through reading those great reviewers, talking to fellow audiophiles in meetups and comparing to my own experience with the IEM reviewed, a baseline if you will.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #1,255 of 12,035
i ordered mine last friday and it is still processing. The inventory was ****ed up last week i think. When i placed the order it says "5 left in stock" but once the order is made it became "shipping in 3-5 days". Their support team emailed me back yesterday saying it will be shipped out at the end of the week.
I ordered on Sunday and just received my shipping notification. I didn't seem to get the overnight upgrade like some of the earlier folks who ordered, so I'll have to wait until next week! I'm excited.... I also ordered the 4.4 balanced Super Litz as soon as it posted on the CA site, they shipped together, so I will be able to compare cables from day 1.

P.s. I notice it now says the wait is 10 days on the CA site, vs. the 3-5 day wait quoted when I ordered.

Nov 8, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #1,256 of 12,035
I ordered on Sunday and just received my shipping notification. I didn't seem to get the overnight upgrade like some of the earlier folks who ordered, so I'll have to wait until next week! I'm excited.... I also ordered the 4.4 balanced Super Litz as soon as it posted on the CA site, they shipped together, so I will be able to compare cables from day 1.

P.s. I notice it now says the wait is 10 days on the CA site, vs. the 3-5 day wait quoted when I ordered.
Wow! I ordered two days before you and I have yet to receive my shipping notification. I am a little annoyed atm

Nov 8, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #1,257 of 12,035
I emailed them at launch saying I needed them to arrive on Nov 13th since I was going to be out of country until then. I was worried about timing with the 3-5 day lead times. I got a super short response that said they were on "abbreviated schedules through November 6". I figured this meant that on the 6th that production of the Solaris was going to ramp up enough that the lead times would be gone. Looks like they are getting slammed right now with orders. I ordered mine yesterday just waiting for the shipping email now. Hopefully I timed it right.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #1,258 of 12,035
Could somebody share his opinion.
I really like U18t because I think they have one of best resolution and transparency (comparable with KSE1500). But during listening for several months now I understand that they have some cons compare to other top tiers: not deep bass and weak punch, a little recessed mids with not so good transparensy as high frequencies. More than that the speed of attacks also is not far the best especially when we are talking about KSE1500 which has very fast deep bass. So could somebody tell in what aspects Solaris is better than U18?

Nov 9, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #1,259 of 12,035
Guys, I have discovered a DSD128 remastering of Jazz at the Pawnshop and with the Solaris, I am simply speechless this is a new high from the 24/96 version, the dynamic range is of the charts on this album and I highly recommend it if you like Jazz...

I didn't know of Naxos before finding this mastering but oh my they know what they're doing : https://naxos.nativedsd.com/albums/jazz-at-the-pawnshop

Nov 9, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #1,260 of 12,035
So the Oriolus BA300S tube amp for the 1Z is in the house and under testing with the Solaris.

10176978_thumb.jpg

I'll add this in the review when I have had enough time with it but after an hour with it I can say the Solaris scale well and, the very interesting point is that it takes the Solaris a few notches up on the bass... what I did miss with the 1Z alone I don't anymore with the BA300S, the mid bass kick I was missing is here and the best part is that it's without loosing anything in terms of textures and layering quite the contrary :D

I think this small tube amp would pair so very well with the ZX300 as it's the same form factor, making it a potential killer combo for the price.

On monday, I'll get the 8 wire Hansound Zen and then I am set!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back