Campfire - Solaris
Aug 3, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #11,808 of 12,035
Aug 3, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #11,811 of 12,035
Planars are the future...CFA's Supermoon tops everything else on the market right now imho
planars are the best, I've always been the one to call out the next big thing, I knew this was coming, same with EST drivers :) eventually AMTs will take over as mid-high drivers (they can't produce lows, atleast not at iem driver size).

xmems from what I've read will be one of the best if not the best tweeter driver out there. On the other hand it falls short on mids and bass compared to other drivers, so I expect it to be in hybrid combinations in the future.

Edit- haven't tried xmems personally, tried amt, electrets, planars, dd and ba, personal favorite is still planars, even tho amts can definitely give them a run for their money in mids and highs. DDs are great support drivers when both drivers are full range :)

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #11,813 of 12,035
How did you like Solaris 2020?

I never spent enough time with it to really have a firm or comprehensive opinion. I a/b’d it briefly once and marginally preferred the SE. Solaris is still highly competitive in today’s market, especially at that price— it’s a shame it’s been discontinued.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #11,814 of 12,035
I never spent enough time with it to really have a firm or comprehensive opinion. I a/b’d it briefly once and marginally preferred the SE. Solaris is still highly competitive in today’s market, especially at that price— it’s a shame it’s been discontinued.
considering the pathfinder is out with all the new tech in a solarislike shell I think they'll make a solarislike iem with just a different name and the added drivers from pathfinder. evolution step for solaris, finally :)

Aug 4, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #11,815 of 12,035
Planars are the future...CFA's Supermoon tops everything else on the market right now imho
I early adopted isine 20's 🤣🤣🤣 can't wait for the audeze/7hz/supermoon comparisons

Aug 4, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #11,817 of 12,035
haven't owned them but if I had to choose, it would have to be supermoon, unless you don't mind playing with EQ, if so then something like the lcd i4 should leave everything else in the dust sq wise
Yup! I first had isine 20, listened stock for months. Then eventually got cipher cable and android usb c adapter. Then pushed me to lcdi4 stock. After months, got cipher, lol. Then began working with eq, and noticed not a bunch of bands are needed to get great sound out of i4. Now my TOTL setup is what is in my avatar photo. I love this setup

Aug 4, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #11,818 of 12,035
Yup! I first had isine 20, listened stock for months. Then eventually got cipher cable and android usb c adapter. Then pushed me to lcdi4 stock. After months, got cipher, lol. Then began working with eq, and noticed not a bunch of bands are needed to get great sound out of i4. Now my TOTL setup is what is in my avatar photo. I love this setup
that looks extremely uncomfortable to walk with, surely the SQ is excellent tho. Not surprised, the planar driver on the i4 is 30mm iirc? plus it's open back, I wouldn't be surprised if it rivals full sized headphones easily

Aug 4, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #11,819 of 12,035
haven't owned them but if I had to choose, it would have to be supermoon, unless you don't mind playing with EQ, if so then something like the lcd i4 should leave everything else in the dust sq wise
Yeah no, they are unlistenable without EQ stock 3.5mm. I keep my old iPhone around as an iPod to use the cipher with and I have a profile on my qudelix for 3.5 use. It's just crazy to think planar in ears don't need EQ anymore in just a few years

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #11,820 of 12,035
the lcd i4 should leave everything else in the dust sq wise

That's true but the LCDi4 is kind of a pain-- it's massive, doesn't isolate at all, has huge bores so you can only use the tips that come with them and it needs an unwieldy amount of EQ to sound decent. When it hits though, indeed, it's probably the best thing out there--- but it's not really a practical option for the most part imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back