Campfire - Solaris
Aug 22, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #11,356 of 12,035
The LE sounds like the OG, but more etched/shouty (at least the pair I got to try). Not technical advantage.
The 2020 is worse in pretty much all aspects compared the bigger shelled brothers.
I, myself, prefer the SE overall. Their midrange is to die for and the sound is more even / balanced than the OG (whose mids are more withdrawn). A bit thicker in the mids, but also less energetic in the treble.
I think they are better technically, but the tonality is different enough that some might prefer the OG/LE.

I preferred the SE by quite a large margin over the OG. Unfortunately I haven’t heard the smaller versions and the LE.

Sep 6, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #11,357 of 12,035
Hi colleagues, I want to confess... After I bought Sony WF-1000XM4 I stopped using my beloved Solaris OG. :grimacing: But the Sony sound so good, and no cable is another level, plus when you on the go outside you can't hear much difference between Sony and Solaris, outside noise eats up all the hi-fi Solaris has. I started even thinking about selling my Solaris... If someone had told me I'd do that a few months ago, I'd challenge that guy to a duel! What's wrong with me? Am I not an audiophile anymore? :cold_sweat:

Sep 6, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #11,358 of 12,035
Hi colleagues, I want to confess... After I bought Sony WF-1000XM4 I stopped using my beloved Solaris OG. :grimacing: But the Sony sound so good, and no cable is another level, plus when you on the go outside you can't hear much difference between Sony and Solaris, outside noise eats up all the hi-fi Solaris has. I started even thinking about selling my Solaris... If someone had told me I'd do that a few months ago, I'd challenge that guy to a duel! What's wrong with me? Am I not an audiophile anymore? :cold_sweat:
LOL
Really?:sweat_smile:
the XM4 is THAT holographic?
All the best...
:beerchug:

Sep 6, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #11,359 of 12,035
Hi,
V Recently joined Head-Fi...
Been scanning and absorbing various threads here for some time though, seeking impressions, knowledge & perspectives relative to my own audio path. Thought it was about time to get involved.

Head-fi has been extremely helpful and informative for me {this Solaris thread recently in particular.} So a HUGE thanks to ‘one and all’ who have contributed, I’ve learnt so much... You would not believe.

laughed my anus off too! Some real characters on here that probably don’t even know it! Respect.

So... On my fourth day with the Solaris2020’s now {they had 80/100 hours on them when purchased, just over 200+ hrs now} and I’m enjoying them immensely!
Currently using an iphone 11/IPad Air {HQ Utube streams mainly discovering/Tidal/Apple Music}> OG Hugo> PW Audio No:10> Solaris 2020> Sedna Xelastecs tips and am pretty content I’m getting there.

Presently in the process of converting my CD collection into as HiRes as poss files {attempt at lightening my load} with the intention of getting them onto a relatively decent Dap + SD cards/Hdrives.

Done a bit of reading and seen recommendations for Daps on this thread also {Sony, Ak, Cayin, Shanling etc.} Curious to know if anyone has tried the Cowon Plenue 2 with Solaris at all?

If not, Would greatly appreciate any rec/advice on any half decent SQ mid-fi alternatives, not necessarily too concerned regarding their ability to stream however.

...cheers in advance!

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #11,360 of 12,035
Hi,
Been scanning and absorbing various threads here for some time though, seeking impressions, knowledge & perspectives relative to my own audio path. Thought it was about time to get involved.

Head-fi has been extremely helpful and informative for me {this Solaris thread recently in particular.} So a HUGE thanks to ‘one and all’ who have contributed, I’ve learnt so much... You would not believe.

laughed my anus off too! Some real characters on here that probably don’t even know it! Respect.

So... On my fourth day with the Solaris2020’s now {they had 80/100 hours on them when purchased, just over 200+ hrs now} and I’m enjoying them immensely!
Currently using an iphone 11/IPad Air {HQ Utube streams mainly discovering/Tidal/Apple Music}> OG Hugo> PW Audio No:10> Solaris 2020> Sedna Xelastecs tips and am pretty content I’m getting there.

Presently in the process of converting my CD collection into as HiRes as poss files {attempt at lightening my load} with the intention of getting them onto a relatively decent Dap + SD cards/Hdrives.

Done a bit of reading and seen recommendations for Daps on this thread also {Sony, Ak, Cayin, Shanling etc.} Curious to know if anyone has tried the Cowon Plenue 2 with Solaris at all?

If not, Would greatly appreciate any rec/advice on any half decent SQ mid-fi alternatives, not necessarily too concerned regarding their ability to stream however.

...cheers in advance!
There's a Cowon in there somewhere.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/campfire-solaris.891180/post-16467184

Welcome to the hobby
I'd suggest something w/ tubes, the N3 Pro
Also, consider the DX160, very close to the P2 tuning as well as the large sound field it portrays.
I cannot reco. you my current dap. It's a fantastic, desktop quality sounding device in a portable format. But a lot of folks won't like it for the ui or the back up time...

Sep 7, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #11,361 of 12,035
I think this is probably not uncommon actually! Several times, I've got new IEMs, even budget ones, and just left my high-end ones sitting on the shelf.
It's just the joy of a new product to a large extent, perhaps along with discovering that there's a different kind of sound signature that you also really enjoy.

And, as you said, if you're using on the go, then any lack in those fine nuances are even easier to miss!

I remember when I got iBasso's $89 IT01 (original version); my Noble Katana was just sat on the shelf for at least a month.
I would certainly not claim that the IT01 is as good as the Katana, but I really fell for that L-shaped signature on the IT01, and the love lasted a long time :D

And I have the $499 Stealth Sonics U4 and the $699 Final Audio B1, and both of them get listened to regularly, and I will quite often reach for one of them over the Solaris 2020, MEST Mk II, EE Phantom, EE Nemesis etc.
Not because they're 'better', but simply because every one of these IEMs has something unique about the sound signature that I can't get from any other IEM.
So it's just a question of my mood on a given day.
And I certainly never lose sight of how lucky I am to be blessed with all these choices!

I'd probably advise you to wait another 1-3 months before you even think about selling the Solaris.
And, if you dare and have the time, sit somewhere quiet and A/B test the Solaris vs your Sony IEM on a variety of tracks.
You'll probably find things to love about both, and it may vary from track to track or genre to genre :)

Sep 7, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #11,362 of 12,035
Hi,

...cheers in advance!

I'd second the DX160 recommendation by @ehjie and I'd also throw another one into the mix; the Sony ZX-300.
I think I'll send you a private message about this, as there's a bit of explaining to do and I wouldn't want to stray too far off topic :)

Glad you're enjoying the combinations so far. I love the Solaris 2020 and it's good to see the IEM getting more love here :D

Sep 7, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #11,363 of 12,035
I have Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro and Senn MTW2 buds for gym and out and about, and use my Solaris 2020 at home.

Horses for courses.

Sep 7, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #11,364 of 12,035
I have Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro and Senn MTW2 buds for gym and out and about, and use my Solaris 2020 at home.

Horses for courses.
Galaxy buds pro for gym, Noble falcon pro for runs, Sony xm4 for out and about, Solaris and others for sitting and Listening to my music. Several horses, several courses 👌

Sep 7, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #11,365 of 12,035
There's a Cowon in there somewhere.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/campfire-solaris.891180/post-16467184

Welcome to the hobby
I'd suggest something w/ tubes, the N3 Pro
Also, consider the DX160, very close to the P2 tuning as well as the large sound field it portrays.
I cannot reco. you my current dap. It's a fantastic, desktop quality sounding device in a portable format. But a lot of folks won't like it for the ui or the back up time...
I'd second the DX160 recommendation by @ehjie and I'd also throw another one into the mix; the Sony ZX-300.
I think I'll send you a private message about this, as there's a bit of explaining to do and I wouldn't want to stray too far off topic :)

Glad you're enjoying the combinations so far. I love the Solaris 2020 and it's good to see the IEM getting more love here :D
Cheers Chaps for the recommendations... Definitely some options to consider there. Will have a look in more detail.

@ehjie
Ive always been curious regarding tubes... Does the Cayin lean to a warm sounding signature? I have no problems with that if the case... Easy on the eye too along with the stock leather case.

@Layman1
Please do.
Yes very much so... 2020’s are really becoming something special for me... getting nice and tight, accurate and detailed with ease and VERY pleasurable with any genre I feed them with.

I am finding the best fit and SQ with the Sedna’s tips especially...
They are not lacking in any area AT ALL! Splendid indeed.

Appreciate both your efforts.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #11,366 of 12,035
Cheers Chaps for the recommendations... Definitely some options to consider there. Will have a look in more detail.

@ehjie
Ive always been curious regarding tubes... Does the Cayin lean to a warm sounding signature? I have no problems with that if the case... Easy on the eye too along with the stock leather case.

@Layman1
Please do.

Appreciate both your efforts.
Thanks again!
Let's hear it from Marcus
https://headfonics.com/cayin-n3pro-review/
"The Triode mode defers to a slightly enhanced warmer low-end"
There's a quick comparison with the '160 as well. A fellow headfier mentioned this set (the N3 Pro) is all about fun and emotions. The Solaris for me is very technical, hence an excellent synergy...

Sep 7, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #11,367 of 12,035
Let's hear it from Marcus
https://headfonics.com/cayin-n3pro-review/
"The Triode mode defers to a slightly enhanced warmer low-end"
There's a quick comparison with the '160 as well. A fellow headfier mentioned this set (the N3 Pro) is all about fun and emotions. The Solaris for me is very technical, hence an excellent synergy...
Cheers e... very helpful review that from Marcus. Thanks, your a star!
N3 looks very promising indeed, ticking a load of boxes for me with its Amp options and versatility and looks the business tbh. Seems very reasonably priced to boot!
¥£$!

Sep 9, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #11,369 of 12,035
No idea. They've been playing in the low end and refining their cheaper alternatives. It's about time for an updated statement piece though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back