Campfire - Solaris
Nov 27, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #10,576 of 12,035
Liberating? In which way?

It was a veiled reference to the fact that it was something of a miracle I was able to withstand the pull wrought by a lifetime of being a Sony fanboy coupled with the drumbeat obbligato of hype for Sony and disdain for Campfire that permeated the audio community I was frequenting at the time to decide for myself that, despite all the great qualities the Z1R does possess, I actually prefer the sound of the Solaris overall. It was a decision I agonized over for a few weeks and I had to eat crow a bit as I posted in a few places that I was going to sell my Solaris...but I couldn't bring myself to do it and when I ultimately decided to return the Z1R I was following my heart and gut, which was attended by a "liberating" feeling that I was making the right call. Bear in mind that this is in no way a comment on the quality of the Z1R and is rather entirely a matter of me coming to terms with my own preferences and priorities. The liberating quality of the Solaris for me is that it has taken me beyond a lifelong obsession with bass that had defined much of my audio life to that point. I felt something similar when I chose the Solaris over the Atlas earlier that same year. The Solaris is the first IEM to allow me to appreciate a more balanced sound where bass response is more relegated to being a support player and not the star of the show. For this reason while I can readily acknowledge that, taken on its own the bass of the Z1R is superior to that in the Solaris, I actually prefer the bass of the Solaris when judged according to how it fis in to the signature as a whole. Usual caveats that this is all just my subjective opinion etc. etc.

my immediate assumption is comfort + lack of lower mids. they don't do anything else wrong besides these two wrong.

Fit was ok if I wasn't moving. There was something about how the highs and lows meshed together that triggered my OCD and subtly fatigued me over time.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #10,578 of 12,035
i ended up selling solaris og. but right before that i got a nice road trip (not as the driver) with them, my adhd/overthinking got turned off and suddenly i could hear the out of head soundstage and just how much it truly reveals. metallica's nothing else matters turned from a good metal song to a beautiful musical composition. would probably keep them if the gold wouldn't flake. shame. oh well. getting a r2r2000 but won't have the solaris by the time it arrives to see how they pair :frowning2:

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #10,579 of 12,035
i ended up selling solaris og. but right before that i got a nice road trip (not as the driver) with them, my adhd/overthinking got turned off and suddenly i could hear the out of head soundstage and just how much it truly reveals. metallica's nothing else matters turned from a good metal song to a beautiful musical composition. would probably keep them if the gold wouldn't flake. shame. oh well. getting a r2r2000 but won't have the solaris by the time it arrives to see how they pair :frowning2:

Which other IEM's do you currently own?

Nov 29, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #10,583 of 12,035
new cable too. pairs exceptionally well with solaris. best thing about it is the midbass, kick drums in metal songs are lovely without EQ now. almost makes me not miss the z1r's midbass.

oh and it looks gorgeous. well, time to wrap the solaris and send it away.
20201129_161244.jpg

Nov 29, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #10,584 of 12,035
i quit CFA iems until they implement some EST or planar drivers in there tbh. it's a different league of sound.
Mehh I disagree. I’ve heard Planars and the EST’s in thummim and I’ve heard better from BA’s tbh. Specifically the TIA drivers from 64 and the Z1Rs DD treble destroys any other tech I’ve heard.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #10,585 of 12,035
Mehh I disagree. I’ve heard Planars and the EST’s in thummim and I’ve heard better from BA’s tbh. Specifically the TIA drivers from 64 and the Z1Rs DD treble destroys any other tech I’ve heard.
thummim doesn't have planar. but idk man, i heard the plunge audio demo for a long while. it really didn't give the solaris any room to breathe. outdid it in everything

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #10,586 of 12,035
i heard the plunge audio demo for a long while. it really didn't give the solaris any room to breathe. outdid it in everything

They're also substantially more expensive. Still if I had a nickel for every time someone told me "such and such out does the Solaris" only to find out that it didn't really...I'd be able to buy another Solaris. That said I'm really looking forward to my first experience with those exotic driver types when I get to demo the MEST (hopefully) in a few days.

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #10,587 of 12,035
They're also substantially more expensive. Still if I had a nickel for every time someone told me "such and such out does the Solaris" only to find out that it didn't really...I'd be able to buy another Solaris. That said I'm really looking forward to my first experience with those exotic driver types when I get to demo the MEST (hopefully) in a few days.
oh fair. however it's the imaging and soundstage that really surprised me, just extremely similar to the solaris. so that's where i base my opinion on.

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #10,588 of 12,035
thummim doesn't have planar. but idk man, i heard the plunge audio demo for a long while. it really didn't give the solaris any room to breathe. outdid it in everything

I've heard a few of the Audeze planar IEM's (if they can be called that) and headphones and although it was great, I wouldn't say I'd outdid BA's in terms of detail retrieval. Bass presentation was great though.

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #10,589 of 12,035
I've heard a few of the Audeze planar IEM's (if they can be called that) and headphones and although it was great, I wouldn't say I'd outdid BA's in terms of detail retrieval. Bass presentation was great though.
audeze and plunge are different companies tho, diff implementation.

it wasn't necessarily about detail (even tho it did expose details better) my main love for planar mids is from their dynamics, timbre, and just how alive they sound. guitars on planars is bliss, it's like having a small guitar amp inside the iem playing into your ears haha, the bass is apples and oranges imo.

Nov 30, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #10,590 of 12,035
2020 internal structure Same as SE
I'm sure of this I have seen it But i can't open the lid completely
The internal space is fully utilized The inner wire is silvercolor
I think it should be copper plated with silver ALO
The natural sun god is completely insensitive to the wire
Internal wires with excellent original performance This is my opinion
Therefore, users must use more than very expensive wires to have a significant improvement
It is a collection of the most advanced technical content collected by CA so far
Faced with many other headphones, SE is still very simple Outstanding
Ceramic materials are what CA wants to do He is very good material
Difficult to produce Brass is also a good material Need to combine these complex materials with tuning Extremely high but the sound is relatively good
CA decentralized Vega Dorado Brass ceramic

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back