Campfire - Solaris
Nov 26, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #10,547 of 12,035
what boot?
The plastic component shown below to seat all of the drivers. These weren't used in earlier models.

Screenshot 2020-11-26 at 12.22.33.png

Nov 26, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #10,548 of 12,035
just my 5 cents worth. I have listened to different items (Shure kse1500, lcd i4 and bravo eamt 1c), now solaris. I think it is really well made and akin to the former 3. The last few days I listened to them very much and the desire to switch to bravo was not huge, which means a lot given the price differential. So suggest everyone interested to give it a try. Personally like it more than Andromeda, because highs are blithely more muted.

Could you please describe in a nutshell obravo eamt vs campfire audio solaris difference?
I used to use for a long time se846, and was listening to Campfire Audio Atlas at least a year after the se846, then I switched to Solaris.
Now I do not like Atlases as they are to bassful ones, but they are the only one pair of IEMs with direct in-ear placement (not around ears cable).
Obravo eamt-1a/c/w series has a direct placement and do not require wind the cable over the ear...
Price is crazy but if I will be able to get rid of Atlas & Solaris...
Can you help about EAMT-1... do they worth it?

Nov 26, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #10,549 of 12,035
if people are looking for bass with good dynamics then i think that's where these two fall flat. can't wait for your impressions on mest tho!! those always peaked my interest. i'll soon have my over the top custom wood planar tribrid vented iem, can't wait for it aswell.

a lot of people say that the mest is just a campfire audio iem but without the wonky tonality so i think as a solaris veteran your opinion will have a good amount of weight and importance for the community. i may be a V shape sloot, but i can understand the appeal in sola tonality and why others might enjoy it more.

i would say tho that it's probably the most non offending iem.. ever. i don't think it ever bothered my ears or had a peak too high unless i switched from my planar iems to them and forgot to switch the volume, causing me to absolutely blast annihilate my ears lol.

I would agree that neither Solaris or Andro are "basshead IEMs", and that in Andro at least the bass is kind of relegated to a supporting role similar to something like the VE8...but I think the Solaris has excellent bass texture and dynamics...it just doesn't "steal the show" so to speak. Still if a commanding bass presence is a huge priority then there are probably better IEMs out there for you.

What exactly do people mean by "wonky"? I've seen that word thrown around a lot and I've often just thought it is one of those general, ambiguous audiophile terms that people use to describe something they don't like, which typically means different things to different people. I would never describe either Solaris or Andro as "wonky". I would be tempted to flip your statement around and say that the MEST looks like a Campfire IEM with an added "Chifi upper mid boost". This is probably what kept me from blind buying the MEST already out of curiosity as off the cuff it looks like there is too much energy in that region for me. We'll see though...I'm quite excited to finally hear it. Unfortunately whoever mailed it to me apparently used the Pony Express so I might not see it until January.

oeven if i'm not fond of the sound for the life of me i cannot sell an iem so goddamn gorgeous.

Is this your SE you're talking about? I thought you liked the sound. Also, haven't you been trying very hard to sell it in the last couple months?

Nov 26, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #10,550 of 12,035
Yo... quite rapid testing...
But glad to inform you, the new ifi Micro iDSD Signature pair to Solaris OG via Brise 4.4TRRS...
No hiss and very good dynamic... If my memory still valid iDSD Micro BL wasn't experiencing this....

20201121_113914.jpg20201121_120049.jpg

The following setting is to get dynamic and zero Hiss...
20201121_115825.jpg
Eco mode power, Minimum phase Filter & Ultra sensitivity iEMatch... NOICE...

Well if you want to used Solaris pair with Smartphone or PC or Laptop, or DAP...

Have a nice weekend and stay healthy

Wonderful device! I thought about to getting the new IDSD Signature.

How would you compare it to your DX220max?

Nov 26, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #10,551 of 12,035
I would agree that neither Solaris or Andro are "basshead IEMs", and that in Andro at least the bass is kind of relegated to a supporting role similar to something like the VE8...but I think the Solaris has excellent bass texture and dynamics...it just doesn't "steal the show" so to speak. Still if a commanding bass presence is a huge priority then there are probably better IEMs out there for you.

What exactly do people mean by "wonky"? I've seen that word thrown around a lot and I've often just thought it is one of those general, ambiguous audiophile terms that people use to describe something they don't like, which typically means different things to different people. I would never describe either Solaris or Andro as "wonky". I would be tempted to flip your statement around and say that the MEST looks like a Campfire IEM with an added "Chifi upper mid boost". This is probably what kept me from blind buying the MEST already out of curiosity as off the cuff it looks like there is too much energy in that region for me. We'll see though...I'm quite excited to finally hear it. Unfortunately whoever mailed it to me apparently used the Pony Express so I might not see it until January.

Is this your SE you're talking about? I thought you liked the sound. Also, haven't you been trying very hard to sell it in the last couple months?
talking about OG. i both like it and dislike. i can see the appeal it just isn't for me. i think for the price it could and should do more. especially the SE at msrp.

Nov 26, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #10,552 of 12,035
i can see the appeal it just isn't for me.

Fair enough.

i think for the price it could and should do more. especially the SE at msrp.

Care to elaborate? I find this statement confusing as the Solaris (even the SE) is arguably the most reasonably priced flagship on the market right now. Based on my experience, and judged on its own terms, it doesn't have an equal in the sub $3k market. (The MEST notwithstanding as I haven't heard it yet...though based on what I've read it sounds like the most likely contender.).

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #10,554 of 12,035
honestly i think the OG has the chamber too? but not sure.

Nope the "single boot tech" is an innovation in the 2020, as indicated by Ken and Caleb in an interview upon its release. It's a stepping stone on the way to their hope to eventually release a custom model.

Nov 26, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #10,556 of 12,035

Users who are viewing this thread

Back