Campfire - Solaris
Nov 11, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #10,456 of 12,035
OCC copper is good but OCC silver really makes the Solaris shine. OCC silver resolves more details than copper or any other type of cable. A quality OCC silver cable is not harsh and can deliver any bass the the source can deliver and the IEM can produce.

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #10,457 of 12,035
If you have extremely large ears and can fit them, I guess the OG are still a great pick up at that price compared to the price of the new models. It’s just that mostly anyone with non gigantic ears would probably benefit hugely in terms of comfort from the 2020 version

I feel incredibly lucky to be a part of the gigantic ears family to rock the OG :)

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #10,458 of 12,035
I feel incredibly lucky to be a part of the gigantic ears family to rock the OG :)
No Gigantic ears here, and still fits well, better that other famous "good fits". Great IEMs for sure.

Nov 12, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #10,459 of 12,035
OCC copper is good but OCC silver really makes the Solaris shine. OCC silver resolves more details than copper or any other type of cable. A quality OCC silver cable is not harsh and can deliver any bass the the source can deliver and the IEM can produce.

Can confirm, using Dunu Blanche. Sounds great.

Nov 14, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #10,460 of 12,035
I don’t know about anyone else...but the background acoustical nuances are amazing and a real treat to search and discover. To hear the artists emotionally interact with their environmental surroundings through instruments or vocals makes the listen even more free-flowing and enjoyable. These nuances are not as colored or as aggressive as dual-coil-drivers or dual-dynamic-drivers that I have heard, either. The overall presentation is still forward...but only when the recording calls for the forwardness. Small world, I guess.

Nov 15, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #10,461 of 12,035
Solaris OG beating out IER-Z1R on multiple fronts....?

Always been curious about Z1R IEM...

Nov 15, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #10,462 of 12,035
Solaris OG beating out IER-Z1R on multiple fronts....?

Always been curious about Z1R IEM...
had both. in terms of technicalities like soundstage imaging seperation and resolution i recall them being on the same league.

difference is tonality, solaris is more laidback and warm with lower mids much more present,
z1r is mild V shape with addicting bass

personally i preferred solaris because the lack of lower mids in the z1r just wasn't for me. some people are ok with that tho.

while i'd recc demoing both to decide, you can't really lose when buying either. simply great pairs.

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #10,463 of 12,035
Yes the Z1R has some great qualities. In addition to the tonal differences already mentioned I find the staging of the two to be very different. Z1R goes for a more "speaker like" setup where the music is coming towards you, and in that respect may be perceived as "wider". The Solaris, on the other hand is more spherical, ie., it feels as though it's wrapped around your head, and I would say it excels in depth (3d'ness), positioning and layering over the Z1R.

I understand the love for both IEMs, and agree that the Z1R has some of the nicest bass texture out there, but the Solaris works better for me as an all-rounder and presents a more satisfying signature on the whole (to me).

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #10,464 of 12,035
agree with the way @Rockwell75 explained the staging.

i can say that the z1r felt more unique to me imo,
considering i'm moving to a summitfi plunge iem, i'd say it's extremely similar to the solaris in terms of imaging, which makes me really miss the z1r imaging and bass especially.

oh and if you love drums over anything then z1r is a nobrainer. best drums presentation i've heard yet, always in the center and extremely engaging.

Nov 15, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #10,465 of 12,035
Can confirm, using Dunu Blanche. Sounds great.

Always nice to see fellow Dunu cable users around here - I use the DW02 with my Solaris OG and have nothing but good things to say about it!

Nov 16, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #10,469 of 12,035
My Solaris OG with KBEAR cable.

This cable is very nice and match well with Solaris. Reminds me a bit of the Stormbreaker cable from Odin. Not in the price of course :smile:

kbear_003.jpg

kbear_002.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back