Campfire - Solaris
Apr 27, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #7,906 of 12,035
Well, another brick in the wall... Finally recieved my SE's. I like the sound and the fit, I have some driver flex in the left unit with the final tips, so I use the foam ones, not good tbh, I felt them really confortable. I found the Tia Trios to have more capable bass and highs IMHO, but it's a bit overly done in both extremes to my taste. I feel a more relaxed and neutral sound with Solaris, fit my ears well, I like the tuning more, and the soundstage is huge. I had to return the Trio's due to the fit, all my grateful to headtek for being so helpful and comprehensive, really nice people, I really recommend contact them if you are in Europe and want to buy 64 audio products. I think I'll never hear cymbals as with the Trio, sadly.

About pairing, with the LG V30 the combo is a bit bright and blurry sometimes with no hiss. Other Animals new album is great to detect this... what an album mates!
Changing to Hugo 2, was quite revealing. Better basss definition, more separated instruments, better timbre, more coherency, better soundstage... Never felt the Hugo in this way, because I think my gear wasn't as revealing as it should. I get a bit of hiss, but is not a nightmare. It's impressive when a IEM is better than a quite good headphone like my Clears, and this is making me think about buy a dap with a good sinergy with Solaris and sell all the rest, I don't see the need to have big headphones and a desktop rig to achieve a really good SQ.

At this point is were I need your help, wich dap do you recommend to me? I like how hugo 2 + solaris sound, just want less hiss and real portability. I don't want to add extra brightness. I need WiFi, I mainly use Tidal. I hear all kind of music at moderate levels. I prefer neutral with a litlle extra bass touch. Under 2k. What do we have? Sp1000m? N6ii? Wm1z (used, too warm maybe)? Am I going to renounce to some SQ noticeably?

Thx in advance!
The bass will improve around the 150-200 hour mark.

Apr 27, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #7,909 of 12,035
So I have the option to buy my Andromeda Golds back from the person I sold them to, or spend the money on the Solaris SE. HAALPPPPP!! What do I do?
You’re in the Solaris thread... two guesses to what kind of response you’re going to get :wink: haha I believe Portafi on YouTube did a video comparing the 2 ... I think it was at the end of his Solaris SE review.

Apr 27, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #7,911 of 12,035
So I have the option to buy my Andromeda Golds back from the person I sold them to, or spend the money on the Solaris SE. HAALPPPPP!! What do I do?
It depends on the sound signature you want.

If you want a warm engaging sound that you can get lost in the music, the Solaris SE.

If you prefer a more analytical sound and want to hear every tiny detail, the Andromeda AG.

Apr 27, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #7,912 of 12,035

Solaris SE all the way...I see you have the Legend X as well...imho Solaris SE + Legend X is a God tier complementary IEM combo.

Apr 27, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #7,914 of 12,035
You all are a good sell!! I guess the Andro golds are pointless considering I have Valkyries which have more bass and detail considering estat drivers force feed you detail against your will.
End of the day, I would prob pick the SE's, but having said that I would not compare the Golds to the Valks - completely different if you look at each IEM in totality.
For what it's worth, the way I think about these things is to figure out what "hole" I'm trying to fill in my IEM portfolio. If you want something more balanced, analytical, detailed, with strong instrument separation, etc., I would go with the Golds to be honest. Plus, the Golds will presumably cost you a few hundy less.
I'm just playing devil's advocate. Again, I think the SE's are vastly superior (and I agree with @Rockwell75 that the SE + LX pair is excellent), again it just depends on what you're looking for. The Golds are very different from the SE, LX, and Valks...

edit - as an example, I am selling my Golds because I replaced them with the U12t's. I found that the U12t's do everything better than the Golds do (although the Golds are VERY good), and I believe the U12t's fill a void in my collection...again, just one example. i'm still pretty new at this and am learning

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #7,915 of 12,035
I almost forget... I bought a Pelican 1010 micro case and it's perfect for an iem and its cable, and I guess a second cable also can be stored. Highly recommended. You can buy a precut foam if you need more adjustment, but works great. Found the leather case didn't protect so much.

Apr 27, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #7,916 of 12,035
End of the day, I would prob pick the SE's, but having said that I would not compare the Golds to the Valks - completely different if you look at each IEM in totality.
For what it's worth, the way I think about these things is to figure out what "hole" I'm trying to fill in my IEM portfolio. If you want something more balanced, analytical, detailed, etc., I would go with the Golds to be honest. Plus, the Golds will presumably cost you a few hundy less.
I'm just playing devil's advocate. Again, I think the SE's are vastly superior (and I agree with @Rockwell75 that the SE + LX pair is excellent), again it just depends on what you're looking for. The Golds are very different from the SE, LX, and Valks...

edit - as an example, I am selling my Golds because I replaced them with the U12t's. I found that the U12t's do everything better than the Golds do (although the Golds are VERY good), and I believe the U12t's fill a void in my collection...again, just one example. i'm still pretty new at this and am learning
Very well said. I see your point. I honestly don’t even know why I want to keep my Valkyries sometimes but like you said, they fill that void in my collection. Assuming that’s the goal for me, I’d say there’s nothing I have that sounds like Solaris SE. I know measurements aren’t everything but the LX and AG measure close but the AG is bested by LX in bass and detail. Not to mention, personally, I like the mids of the LX. Plus who can resist abalone?

Apr 27, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #7,917 of 12,035

Man, how are you new at this when you've gone through over $10k worth of IEMs already :dollar:. The rest of us must be just starting them haha.

Apr 27, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #7,918 of 12,035
Very well said. I see your point. I honestly don’t even know why I want to keep my Valkyries sometimes but like you said, they fill that void in my collection. Assuming that’s the goal for me, I’d say there’s nothing I have that sounds like Solaris SE. I know measurements aren’t everything but the LX and AG measure close but the AG is bested by LX in bass and detail. Not to mention, personally, I like the mids of the LX. Plus who can resist abalone?
Sounds good to me...regarding the Valks, I personally love the juxtaposition of the W9 and electrostatic drivers...creates a very unique sound sig in my opinion.
The LX and AG measure close to one another? I hadn't seen that...and my ears would strongly disagree!
Congrats on making a decision, then - that's a big first step!

Apr 27, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #7,919 of 12,035
Man, how are you new at this when you've gone through over $10k worth of IEMs already :dollar:. The rest of us must be just starting them haha.
ha! I'd say a combo of: obsessive behavior, ruthlessly hunting for deals, and getting aggressive when it comes to selling (for example, i think I recouped 90%+ of my Noir investment when I sold them)...but mostly all because of obsessive behavioral tendencies!

Apr 27, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #7,920 of 12,035
ha! I'd say a combo of: obsessive behavior, ruthlessly hunting for deals, and getting aggressive when it comes to selling (for example, i think I recouped 90%+ of my Noir investment when I sold them)...but mostly all because of obsessive behavioral tendencies!

I notice that you used to have a Fourte Noir. How do they compare to the Solaris SE? I was curious about the Fourte Noir for a bit, but the mixed reviews ultimately turned me off and I have no way of auditioning them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back